• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zach Snyder reveals anime that influenced Man of Steel climax(not the one you think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

SPOILERS, obviously.

BluWacky in the anime thread uncovered this Japanese interview with Zach Snyder. The relevant post:

Stolen from Twitter, thank you 7th for retweeting, but this interview with Zack Snyder reveals some interesting influences on Man of Steel's fight sequences:

Anime-Anime said:
(this follows a bit where Anime-Anime congratulates Snyder on the action sequences but says that they're very reminiscent of Dragonball, although that's not a bad thing)

Are you aware of "Dragonball"? If so, did anything in particular inspire you?

I've seen a few episodes of Dragonball. I know it's a major work of anime, and that it has suitably huge-scale battles depicted beautifully. However, in response to your question, there's another anime I've forgotten the name of, where loads of city buildings get destroyed... I know there are loads of such scenes in anime, but this one in particular is possibly like Man Of Steel. I'm sure it's a TV series... hold on a minute *he phones his staff* In the US it's called "Birdy the Mighty".

Oh, "Tetsuwan Birdy"!

Yes!

In Birdy there are also characters who fight in super-powered suits, right?

Absolutely. The city battle scenes in it are so good, they have a huge impact. Also, because in Man Of Steel the fighting is mostly one-on-one hand-to-hand stuff, rather than in, say, The Avengers where they're fighting a huge force, the movie's much more like the fantastic style of anime than other movies.

Honnyaku Konnyaku has posted Youtube links for comparison between Birdy Decode and Man Of Steel.

I like the Birdy sequence, but pretty much hated the Zod fight in Man Of Steel. I think the difference is that for me in live action everything has to look believable (or at least believably stylised, if that makes sense) whereas Man Of Steel slips into blockbuster CG mode and it's completely impossible to believe that anyone's actually doing anything you see on the screen. Birdy, on the other hand, is consistent within its own universe (well, consistent-ish when you've got individual animator styles all over the place!).

The final battle of Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02, for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em8iH6asMbQ

ReiGun

Of all the anime I would have guessed MoS took inspiration from, Birdy the Mighty: Decode was not anywhere near this list. Really cool.

Branduil

Who would've thought Snyder was into obscure anime.

Yeah, the comparison didn't even occur to me, even though I watched Birdy recently, because I wouldn't have expected a Hollywood director to have seen a niche Japanese anime.

Of course Man of Steel wasn't influenced by Dragon Ball.

They always left the city to go fight in a wasteland and keep people from getting hurt.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the comparison didn't even occur to me, even though I watched Birdy recently, because I wouldn't have expected a Hollywood director to have seen a niche Japanese anime.
After Sucker Punch, I think its failry obvious that Snyder's fanboyism and geek cred, unlike most directors, isn't posturing...lol. Im not surprised

ElFly

Uh, I thought this was going to be one of those things where the author would deny the influence of a popular anime and point to some unrelated stuff that's highly regarded critically.

But turns out that anime is p spot on to MoS.

On the other hand it's weird he had to call the office to get the name.

Wow I always though it was from Napa taking on the earth force from DBZ. But if your going to use an anime Birdy isn't a bad one. I really liked that series it was more dark than I thought it was going to be.

.la1n

Only reason I even heard of Birdy is thanks to Saturday anime that used to run on Sci-Fi (SyFy) channel when I was a kid. Can definitely see the inspiration.

Who would've thought Snyder was into obscure anime.
He's alumni from Art Center College of Design. He probably checks out everything he can get his eyes on.

On that note, I'm soooooo excited to see a Snyder Batman. Shit is gonna be so rad.

Can we get a full translation? Haven't seen all of Birdy yet, but Man of Steel smokes it from what I have seen.

Branduil

Awesome find. How's the English dub of this?

Didn't watch the dub, but the first four episodes of the English dub are available on Funimation's youtube channel, along with the entire series subbed.

https://www.youtube.com/show/tetsuwanbirdydecode

Word of advice, 2nd season is much better. It might be worth skipping the 1st and going straight to 2.

Second season is a lot better, but I wouldn't say the first is worthless. It's still worth checking out if you're into good action animation.

ReiGun

Wasn't the only city they fought in with Slug? Which was already ruined?

They fought in the city during the movie with that guy who gave Trunks his sword too. There might have been another instance as well - I admittedly haven't seen all the DBZ movies, and my memory is hazy of the ones I have seen.

Nice. One of my favorite anime in recent years. Luci Christian voicing Birdy in Decode also adds to the win (also have seen the earlier OVA). Still need to see MoS.

I watched both seasons of Decode (dub on UK netflix) a few months back. The action is decent throughout, but the fight in question is on another level. Had to rewind a couple of times to take it all in.

Also a surprising amount of feels for something that seems so generic.

Cutebrute

The DBZ movies that took place in cities were Lord Slug, History of Trunks, Wrath of the Dragon, parts of Fusion Reborn, and Broly took place in a ruined city. I think it might be due to the movies having larger budgets?

But yeah I can see the Birdy fight similarities to MoS. I wonder if there are any animes Snyder will pull from for his Batman scenes.

Akainu

I'm was looking at the clip and was horribly confused. Were they supposed to be running or skating? OR some odd combination of both?

JDSN

Banned
I though it was gonna be Akira in the sense that the big screen adaptation missed the whole fucking point of the comics.

Except that the Akira movie was a triumph on it's own.

MisterHero

That's some good material there. I'm kinda sad that DC Animation hasn't done something as intense. Flashpoint was close I guess.

It's also weird that, as cool as the animation is, his attempt to recreate it in live action was recieved poorly (for obvious-yet-dubious reasons).

They fought in the city during the movie with that guy who gave Trunks his sword too. There might have been another instance as well - I admittedly haven't seen all the DBZ movies, and my memory is hazy of the ones I have seen.

I think the city was already pretty fucked in that one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom