• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

GrizzNKev

Banned
Special thanks to TommyT for delivering my bingo prize while I waited in line!

Map: Mall
Gametype: Warzone
Round 1: Capture and Hold
Round 2: Kills

I'll get the big one out of the way: the framerate is highly variable right now. I'd estimate the range was 20 to 60 depending on where in the map I was and what kind of action was happening. Most of the time it seemed to stay at 30. There's severe aliasing issues and horrible dithering on all foliage. Worse than Witcher 2 shadow dithering.

The game itself was very fun, though a bit more fast paced than I expected. Kill time is still fairly long but it's kind of run and gun. I was a bit thrown off by the controls since it now uses the triggers.

The DS4 feels amazing. It's got this really tight grip feeling that I've never felt in another controller. My headphones were kinda quiet so I couldn't really judge the sound.

In line for Watch_Dogs now.

SECOND ATTEMPT UPDATE:

Ok so they're not showing the rain map. The demo cycles to it, then resets.

The framerate seemed much more solid this time. Almost always 60 with occasional drops. I don't know what the deal was yesterday. I tried out a bunch of weapons, but most of the abilities appear to be locked for this demo. It was just the turret, shield, and revive bot, which you can use to remotely revive allies. The shield seems a little bit cheap. Most of the assault weapons take 5-6 bullets to kill, and the semiauto sniper took 3 bullets to kill.

Ahhhh!!! DID YA GET VIDEO!?

Muchos gracias for the impressions.

Did it feel run and gun during "Kills", or generally? Controls more like KZ3 or something else?

Is "Kills" labeled "Bodycount"?

I'm disappointed to here that it was "run and gun". I'm expecting the recoil to change that significantly...I hope.

Was the map really big or small compared to most KZ maps?

Also-- abilities, what are they like? Overly offensive? (Shock, for example).

Did the shields feel cheap?

What were the different support roles: Heal, drop ammo (is that like BF3?), spawn beacon, etc.?

HORRORSHØW

The game itself was very fun, though a bit more fast paced than I expected.

The DS4 feels amazing. It's got this really tight grip feeling that I've never felt in another controller.
Good to hear. Hopefully they'll stabilize the framerate by launch.

Swishh

Banned
Please let us know how watch dogs is. I have the watch dogs bundle pre ordered, but I feel as if watch dogs will get very boring and the hacking gimmick will get very stale.

Special thanks to Tommy T for delivering my bingo prize while I waited in line!

Map: Mall
Gametype: Warzone
Round 1: Capture and Hold
Round 2: Kills

I'll get the big one out of the way: the framerate is highly variable right now. I'd estimate the range was 20 to 60 depending on where in the map I was and what kind of action was happening. Most of the time it seemed to stay at 30. There's severe aliasing issues and horrible dithering on all foliage. Worse than Witcher 2 shadow dithering.

The game itself was very fun, though a bit more fast paced than I expected. Kill time is still fairly long but it's kind of run and gun. I was a bit thrown off by the controls since it now uses the triggers.

The DS4 feels amazing. It's got this really tight grip feeling that I've never felt in another controller. My headphones were kinda quiet so I couldn't really judge the sound.

In line for Watch_Dogs now.

Fucking ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Unforgivable.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
How does the aliasing compare with that 900mb video? I thought that wasn't bad.

this video?:

i2AL6tdiIkIbg.png

i'm not sure how you can gage image quality when the footage is so compressed.

Samyy

Just wondering, did the have a FPS meter on the screen or are you just ballparking?
I have a hard time distinguishing 30-60 thats why im asking :/

This game is kind of my deciding factor for buying a ps4 close to launch. Between no recoil, a messy framerate, and the possibility of no dedicated servers, I may have to pass this one by. I'm just going to wait to see how it turns out.

USC-fan

Banned
Great news about the controller. Dont care too much for killzone with BF4 coming at launch.

Would be a great PS+ game down the road.

20 to 60 depending on where in the map I was and what kind of action was happening. Most of the time it seemed to stay at 30. There's severe aliasing issues and horrible dithering on all foliage. Worse than Witcher 2 shadow dithering.
here's to hoping your eyes don't work too goodz
o-CHEERS-LEONARDO-DICAPRIO-570.jpg

They showed probably even older build of that running on Gamescon. They are EU based dev, so I doubt that they sent newer build to PAX

How hard can it be to send a newer build though? Wouldn't they want their best face to be shown to the general public, especially in NA?

skulpt

Why would they even mention 60 fps target if they are struggling to get 30 fps at times? This has got to be an older build which isn't uncommon to have running at these events.

Coiote

I have confidence in Guerilla, if they are target 60 fps, they will reach it by release.
I am curious about Watch_Dogs though. Which version will you be playing, OP?

Top Bottom