• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Ryse's multiplayer looks nothing like the released footage, doesn't feel nextgen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I was watching to the IGN Ryse preview to see if they would continue their trend of comparing every game at PAX to Far Cry 3 when I noticed they made some interesting statements.

Video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/31/ryse-multiplayer-impressions

Left Guy: "It was kind of rough though."
Right Guy: "It was rough."
Left Guy: "It did not feel next gen."
Right Guy: "It did not at all. Our friend Ryan McCaffery at IGN wrote an article at GamesCom kind of just saying don't worry about Ryse."
Left Guy: "It was a positive article. Very positive. And I went in really optimistic and came out the other side super disappointed."
Left Guy: "So the first thing I noticed when we loaded up was that textures were popping up, and I was like, 'What? How is that still happening?'"
Right Guy: "It does not look at all, *at all* like the game that you're seeing in the b-roll and the footage and the trailers and all that stuff that they've shown. That was not the game that I played."

They go on to give their impressions of the gameplay.

RE_Player

Both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 look to be the disappointments of the Xbox One's launch. Luckily Forza looks solid and better than Driveclub in my opinion.

nib95

Banned
Pretty damming words. Is MP just going to be uglier the SP, are they just showing off a really old build, or was the original reveal trailer just running on optimistic hardware or something? My guess is this build is just really unfinished and in dire need of polishing up. Whether they manage to get enough polishing done in time for launch is what's difficult to gauge right now.

Dibbz

Ryse sums up the Xbox One perfectly. Had potential. They dropped the ball. They can't even pick the ball up without stumbling and stuttering.

Chobel

They should have played with this

rysespecial_zpsdb31cc0f.jpg

Pressing "A" is tricky

Both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 look to be the disappointments of the Xbox One's launch. Luckily Forza looks solid and better than Driveclub in my opinion.

C'mon man, Dead Rising 3 is lots of fun.

Grinchy

Banned

DR3 may not be a graphical powerhouse, but it looks fucking fun. I'm not one of the people who think that DR1 looked good. I thought it looked like crap compared to most of the other 360 games at the time, but it was so good that it didn't matter. I hope that's the case for DR3 as well.

This is like the Knack of MS exept even worse. The weird thing is that I feel MS is putting way more emphasis on this than DR3 for example. That should be the action title to push as the must have launch game with Forza instead of this crap.

nib95

Banned
DR3 may not be a graphical powerhouse, but it looks fucking fun. I'm not one of the people who think that DR1 looked good. I thought it looked like crap compared to most of the other 360 games at the time, but it was so good that it didn't matter. I hope that's the case for DR3 as well.

Ryse (more so), Dead Rising 3 and Knack all look overly shallow, simplistic and mindless imo. But we shall see. Graphically though Ryse and Knack look solid, DR3 looks and runs almost current gen. Hopefully they can tidy it up. I do appreciate there's a lot going on in DR3 hence sacrifices have to be made, but I still think it looks sub par and that similar games will look considerably better going forward.

ramb0211

Banned
The multiplayer footage has all looked rough though. Are they surprised the multiplayer looks worse than he single player?

HORRORSHØW

Some people will still defend this turd, claiming it's getting undeserved criticism just because it's on Microsoft's console. The MP looks like a hot mess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I feel Dead Rising 3 looks quite workable visually, especially given what it's doing.

i9AvUqfJ1U0Qp.gif

This is like the Knack of MS exept even worse. The weird thing is that I feel MS is putting way more emphasis on this than DR3 for example. That should be the action title to push as the must have launch game with Forza instead of this crap.

This is more like their Killzone, it's their graphical launch showcase.

RE_Player

DR3 may not be a graphical powerhouse, but it looks fucking fun. I'm not one of the people who think DR1 looked good. I thought it looked like crap compared to most of the other 360 games at the time, but it was so good that it didn't matter. I hope that's the case for DR3 as well.

See Dead Rising has a special place in my heart and was one of the first games, along with Lost Planet, that felt next gen to me at the time. Dead Rising 2 was a bummer for me personally and 3 is looking like not my style of game at all.

Ryse (more so), Dead Rising 3 and Knack all look overly shallow, simplistic and mindless imo. But we shall see.
They definitely need to vary up the executions a little. You should be able to chop guys heads off at will. Like in Skyrim, even better Manhunt. That would be cool.

Ryse (more so), Dead Rising 3 and Knack all look overly shallow, simplistic and mindless imo. But we shall see. Graphically though Ryse and Knack look solid, DR3 looks and runs almost current gen. Hopefully they can tidy it up.

enough with the BS, considering the many ways the devs of dr3 were showing how the game can be played, calling it shallow and simplistic is simply bs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pretty damming words. Is MP just going to be uglier the SP, are they just showing off a really old build, or was the original reveal trailer just running on optimistic hardware or something? My guess is this build is just really unfinished and in dire need of polishing up. Whether they manage to get enough polishing done in time for launch is what's difficult to gauge right now.

They specifically called it out as not looking like the b-roll footage and the b-roll of KZSF we have looks considerably better than the playable builds from what I hear. Probably an old build or something. They need to make sure that the build that the public will play won't crash much so it could be older than stuff the press has seen/played. I'm not confident about Ryse's gameplay but I'm not going to count Crytek out when it comes to graphics.

kadotsu

Banned

FUD MODE ACTIVATED

It might look better right now. We all know Turn 10 likes to over-deliver on previews.

Seriously though. The game was in dev hell on 360. It isn't the best indicator for the XB1 limits. Also MP modes often look worse than SP, which was probably used for the sizzle reels.

wrog

Multiplayer co-op looks rough and disappointing, but I'm still super excited about single player campaign.

This is sounding more and more like it's going to be this gen's Lair. It has been giving me that feel, so I can see why it doesn't feel nextgen.

Right Guy: "It does not look at all, *at all* like the game that you're seeing in the b-roll and the footage and the trailers and all that stuff that they've shown. That was not the game that I played."

I don't get it...sooo, it's not the same game or what? How can it not look the same, do they have some separate code of the game running and saving some horrible code for shows lol?

Top Bottom