• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some people so disgusted by the use of (: instead of :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, what harm does it do if I :) instead of :)

For me it an old habit back from the MSN days (2003 or some shit) where I would do :) because I hated the emoticons, and it was the best way to avoid seeing and using them.

LeleSocho

Banned
because this:
hoMpyBO.gif

Ionic

When I see a smiley, I don't read it like a word, I see it more like a picture of a smiling face. Because of this, the orientation of the face doesn't do anything for me. And people who type it :) never have to worry about some service turning it into an annoying emoticon which is pretty cool.

Dali

Because one is right and the other is you just being ass backward because of old habit? It's like asking why are people bothered when I spel stuf how I want radder than yousing d kurrect spelling

jdouglas

...Disgusted...I'm just rolling that around in my head right now...I'm definitely drawing a blank...seems strange to me.

Monocle

Because like words, tilted emoticons are read left to right, or top to bottom when you tilt your head. That notation has become standard through common use. Change the order and you're imposing your weird preference on everyone else.

Tuck

Its not proper. It looks weird.

Its like a spelling mistake - you might be able to understand what word they are using, but its still wrong.

Anastasia

A lot of my friends use ":)" and it always confuses my brain, haha. I think ":)" just makes more sense (and looks better).

Xanathus

:) sǝןoɥssɐ ƃuıʞɔıdʇıu ƃuıǝq ʇsnɾ ʎןqɐqoɹd ǝɹ,ʎǝɥʇ 'ʇı ɥʇıʍ ɯǝןqoɹd ǝɥʇ ǝǝs ʇ,uop ı ɥɐǝʎ

KillGore

:) sǝןoɥssɐ ƃuıʞɔıdʇıu ƃuıǝq ʇsnɾ ʎןqɐqoɹd ǝɹ,ʎǝɥʇ 'ʇı ɥʇıʍ ɯǝןqoɹd ǝɥʇ ǝǝs ʇ,uop ı ɥɐǝʎ

I've always been intrigued by the australian language. Beautiful.

V_Arnold

HOW?

I don't get it, what harm does it do if I :) instead of :)

For me it an old habit back from the MSN days (2003 or some shit) where I would do :) because I hated the emoticons, and it was the best way to avoid seeing and using them.

One is a unibrow with no mouth, the other is a smiley face.

People get bothered by that?

I see it as:

Female - :)

Male - :)

I've seen this so many times and noticed that males/females are on specfic side. Most of the time, not all.

Probably has something to do with how we read left to right, so the face has to be processed in that.....way or.....whatever

Have a candy

>(/ / / / / / /)<

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
that emoticon always came off as a sorta playful sadistic smile, I see girls do it all the time, and just thought it like that, not that they're actually crazy but just being devilish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom