• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past"

FyreWulff

Bethesda releases games on MS and Sony hardware historically, for some reason MS and Sony talk to them more.

Bethesda is essentially a no-show on Nintendo hardware, for some reason Nintendo doesn't go out of their way to talk to them.

Water also wet.

sakipon

I don't really understand why both Bethesda and the gaming media keep dragging this on. So their chemistry isn't great. It's not like they are the only companies in the world who're not feeling each other's views.

Oddduck

The full quote since it's not currently in the OP:

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out,” Hines explained on Bonus Round. “You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time."

Edit: OP added quote now.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I know we get updates about Wii U development from Bethesda every month but come on, it's only the second day of this month!

I get what the dude is saying though, basically any third party that's not on the console now will probably not be on it in the foreseeable future (unless lol moneyhat)

the editing in your thread title doesn't really convey what he is trying to say.

I disagree. He says that there's no point in trying to convince anyone to support Wii U - therefore I'd stand by my editing. (At least I made it clear it was editing - I was hoping to avoid gripes)

Even folk in the industry think it's dead at this point :/

The writing's not so much on the wall as it is on the headstone at this point.

“The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past."

Isn't he saying the time for Nintendo to convince developers is long past? Thread title is quite a butchered quote.

I disagree. He says that there's no point in trying to convince anyone to support Wii U - therefore I'd stand by my editing. (At least I made it clear it was editing - I was hoping to avoid gripes)

It changes the meaning. he isn't saying the time for supporting the Wii is past. He is saying the time for Nintendo to convince developers to support the Wii U is past. Two different actions. One is something Nintendo has to do, one is something 3rd parties have to do. You completely changed what he was saying.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh another Bethesda quote about not supporting a Nintendo home console....its the 5th time this year right ?

btw. Shocking News is missing from the title.

JordanN

Banned
If you’re just going sort off deciding ‘we’re going to make a box and this is how it works and you should make games for it.’ Well, no. No is my answer, I’m going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we’re trying to do.

This is Nintendo since 1993 people.

The Boat

What a shamefully misleading title. Absurd.

About what he said, he's probably right, but with Wii U Nintendo supposedly did what he said, it was even part of the reason why the whole Cafe thing got leaked. If they just didn't do enough (likely) or didn't do it with them, hell if I know, but it's not like Bethesda has an inspriring track record when it comes to Nitendo.

Can't blame them. Their vision would be crippled on WiiU.

It's sort of funny becuase games like Skyrim where you are constantly having to pause to look at your quest lines and maps and items would do well with a 2nd screen experience. I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game on PS4/XBO uses 2nd screen for this stuff.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
vvVMdLu.png

Phazon

Just like on PS3 I suppose

Yikes :')

Btw: how many times are we going to hear this. Bethesda has never (some shovelware on the Wii) and probably will never support Nintendo. Even Microsoft did a better job with supporting Nintendo (I'm referring to RARE and the Viva Pinata, before people misunderstand this)

It's true, really.
Once the console is out, the sales (or lack of) are there to convince future support from developers and publishers.

No doubt why Sony is going hard with the indies on the Vita, because the hardware sales aren't enough to convince most bigger publishers.

The Wii U doesn't have the sales (which PS3/360 offer) nor the promise of better tech (which Xbone/PS4 offer) - it's at an awkward in-between, without even the magic casual attraction the Wii had.

tokkun

I actually think his main answer to the question of why they aren't supporting the WiiU is more interesting than the quote being discussed here.

He basically said that the reason Bethesda is not interested in the WiiU is a legacy issue: because they didn't support the Wii, they assume that the people who have bought their games in the past will own some other system besides the WiiU that they can buy the new Bethesda games on. Therefore it is not worthwhile supporting them on WiiU as well.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Well, he's right. As he said if Nintendo cared about 3rd party they would have came to them while developing the Wii-U and asked for their input and what they would like to see. Instead, they just did as they always do released a box and demanded 3rd party devs make games for it. Well, as Pete Hines said "No."

Then again, as he also said nobody bought the Wii-U expecting to see great Bethesda games on it or massive third party support. They bought the Wii-U for first party Nintendo titles.

The HW hasn't exactly proven that 3rd party multi-platform games are an easy thing to do.

I'm sorry but that's a circular argument in a way.
Developers haven't exactly run out with support for Wii U, they haven't overwhelmingly put their best teams on the Wii U and if anything, it shows that it's been an afterthought.

Of course third-party games haven't shined particularly so far but that doesn't make a judgement on the hardware.

Oddduck

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm sorry but that's a circular argument in a way.
Developers haven't exactly run out with support for Wii U, they haven't overwhelmingly put their best teams on the Wii U and if anything, it shows that it's been an afterthought.

Of course third-party games haven't shined particularly so far but that doesn't make a judgement on the hardware.
Third parties more often then not chase the established markets(or expected established markets) and the easy buck. They aren't in The business of building a consumer base for a console they have no personal stake or return in. It makes no real business sense.

Yes let's put our best teams on an exclusive title for a console that is struggling and has historically been more difficult to penetrate then our alternatives.....because, why again???

alan666

Banned
In the months before the WiiU was released Nintendo said they had loads of third parties on board & they were working on loads of games for the WiiU,

Where are they ? Nintendo lied !

Nintendo has lost my trust.

VariantX

Frankly, I hope its a hard lesson that Nintendo takes into consideration for their next box. Let people in early, don't design console hardware in a bubble anymore.

Riki

Third parties more often then not chase the established markets(or expected established markets) and the easy buck. They aren't in The business of building a consumer base for a console they have no personal stake or return in. It makes no real business sense.

Yes let's put our best teams on an exclusive title for a console that is struggling and has historically been more difficult to penetrate then our alternatives.....because, why again???
And yet many companies then go ahead and spend millions on games like Lost Planet 3 for these "established markets".
I just can't trust publishers anymore to make actual and rational decisions.

FyreWulff

The HW hasn't exactly proven that 3rd party multi-platform games are an easy thing to do. And as I said, the resources would be better spent on platforms with the right user base. Nintendo made their bed with the core gamer a while ago.

In terms of the Bethesda engine specifically, Skyrim would be comfortable on the Wii U as that engine runs into memory starvation more than it does processing time starvation. Having 1GB of RAM instead of the 360's 500MB-ish would be an instant reprieve. They could actually have more content (even though they wouldn't, to keep parity with the 360/PS3 versions).

There was a note a while back where one of the Fallout expansions actually removed content from the vanilla version so they could fit the expansion content into the game on 360/PS3.

antonz

To be fair Bethseda probably couldnt live up to Nintendo Quality assurance on their core products. Shovelware is easy to make bug free.

Nintendo would pass out at how buggy the shit bethseda puts out

Jonm1010

Banned
Frankly, I hope its a hard lesson that Nintendo takes into consideration for their next box. Let people in early, don't design console hardware in a bubble anymore.
Honestly they haven't fully taken the lesson ever so I'm not sure it's gonna magically happen now.

They ran a basic dictatorship in the NES/SNES days and to their credit softened quite a bit but never put in the real legwork to build back the sort of trust and relationships that both Sony and Microsoft have managed to do over the years.

Top Bottom