• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary Reviews Thread

PSX-Sense.nl 10/10
It is the shooter par excellence and the best first person shooter ever released on a handheld.

TheSixthAxis 10/10
While Mercenary might not be the best shooter in the world, in its own field – as a handheld title – it’s almost perfect; there’s no other experience like this on a device as small as this. And, judging the game from that perspective, it’s an experience that will stick with you for a long time, much like GoldenEye, Call of Duty 4 and other revolutionary shooters have managed in the past, and one entirely worthy of its acclaim.

The VITA Lounge 4.8/5
If you're looking for a first-person shooter on a handheld, this is the one to get - hands down. Delivering near console quality graphics with a slightly "Vita" take on controls, this one stands far above the rest as the new king of portable shooters.

CheatCodeCentral 9.4/10
The handheld FPS formula has finally been cracked, and not a moment too soon.

Eurogamer Italy 9/10

Gaming Nexus 9/10
An excellent adventure that is meant to get you quickly into the action and give you all of the amenities you would expect sitting at home in front of the big screen. The only modifications made to this adventure have been to ensure that it is all-action-all-the-time, and that is much appreciated when gaming on the go.

God is Geek 9/10

Incredible to look at, to listen to, but most importantly to play, Sony should be pushing this one to the moon as a prime reason to own their excellent handheld.

The Digital Fix 9/10
Spectacular visuals, weighty gunplay and a great single player campaign that is complemented perfectly by what we have seen of the multiplayer all combine to provide the triple-A title that the gaming commentariat have been clamouring for.

PSNation 9/10

IGN Italia 8.5/10

JeuxVideo 17/20
You're not dream, PS Vita finally hosts the FPS it deserves. Killzone Mercenary offers at the same time a great gameplay, outstandings graphics and a solid multplayer mode. We could blame the shortness of the campaign but seeing the the whole quality, we have pleasure to replay missions in order to unlock every weapon and every secret in the game.

Vandal Online 8.5/10
It's an outstanding shooter that offers a solid experience beyond the incredible graphics it shows on Vita. With this title, Guerrilla Games has proven that they are not "mercenaries".

Meristation 8.4/10
Using the same control scheme, the same mechanics, the same concept, and even the same engine as Killzone 3, Guerrilla gives the PS Vita one of its best titles to date. A powerful experience from the single player - maybe too short, buy replayability is on its side-, to the fun and robust multiplayer to the amazing graphics, Killzone: Mercenary is a must have for Helghast's fans, and for everybody who still believes in what the powerful Sony's handheld is capable of, which is a lot.

InsideGamer.nl 8.3/10

Spazio Games 8/10
Probably the best first person shooter on Playstation Vita, despite some balancing problems and the small number of single player missions.

3DJuegos 8/10
Killzone Mercenary is a more than competent shooter, but fails to provide anything that can make it a must-have for PS Vita.

Game Informer 8/10

Eurogamer Spain 8/10

The campaign is short, yes, but is built in a very intelligent way to be replayed on different occasions, and the multiplayer can be a major boost if it can capture a large enough and active enough community.

Gamereactor Sweden 8/10

IGN 8/10

Mercenary is a truly great shooter, one that was crafted with the hardcore shooter fan in mind. There’s a lot to love here -- even if its campaign is woefully short – from its deep Contracts mode to its engaging multiplayer functionality.

PocketGamer UK 8/10
Killzone: Mercenary is the best first-person shooter on the Vita, even though that's not saying much. It feels great, looks outstanding, and has a hugely addictive online multiplayer mode.

DarkStation 8/10
Killzone: Mercenary is a more than capable shooter that looks and plays great on the Vita. It’s a shame that the single player campaign is so short and tackling the level challenges will only add so much campaign replayability. The story isn’t all that great but it does offer an interesting, if short lived, twist for the series.

Eurogamer Germany 8/10
If you have been waiting for a good honest FPS on the Vita, this is it. In fact, there aren't many ways in which Killzone's debut on Sony's starving handheld could have been much better.

Gameblog.fr 8/10
Killzone Mercenary is the game PSVita expected. Visually stunning, it also offers an excellent gameplay, a good single player campaign and an interesting multiplayer mode. One of the best games on the Sony handheld console.

Pushsquare 8/10
Graphically astounding and packing some serious online firepower, this is the high-budget handheld hit that you’ve been waiting for.

Hardcore Gamer Magazine 8/10

It’s not a game without its faults as friendly artificial intelligence can obstruct progress and I ran into a number of glitches throughout the campaign, but with an addictive multiplayer and some of the most creative ways in using the handheld’s technology, you’ll have a tough time finding another experience like this.

Gamesbeat 8/10

It’s a polished shooter, and it’s undeniably fun to play. Still, set up against console shooters, it’s really nothing special. But as a portable game, it offers an unrivaled experience for anyone looking to get their FPS thrills away from their PC or TV.

Gaming Trend 7.7/10
While the pure combat in Killzone: Mercenary is well-executed, the freedom of choice never comes to fruition, and it smacks of lost opportunity. Thankfully, its absence has no impact on the entertaining multiplayer modes which are worth returning to again and again.

Everyeye.it 7.5/10

PlayStation Official Magazine UK 7/10
The closest Killzone Mercenary comes to having a thing is in its touch controls, and as satisfying as they are the marriage of console shooter and iOS game doesn’t elevate it into the realm of the exceptional.

Eurogamer 7/10

For all the small fumbles and compromises, Mercenary clears that bar with ease. A solid and visually impressive shooter, it never manages to feel essential - and clearly exists mostly because all first-party franchises are obliged to put in an appearance on a new console - but even as a relatively minor entry in its own series, it still sets a new benchmark for portable shooters.

Joystiq 7/10
While it's hamstrung by flaky multiplayer functionality and a lack of new ideas, it is impressive just how well the first-person action of the Killzone franchise has translated to the Vita. As competent as it is, however, Killzone: Mercenary is teetering on the edge of being something truly great.

Metro Game Central 7/10
The real test for Mercenary is whether the game would stand out if it was released on a home console, but the answer to that is probably not. The nods to GoldenEye offer some deviance from the norm but overall Mercenary does too little to distinguish itself from the competition. That there is no competition on the PS Vita gives it something of a free pass, but it still seems more like a proof of concept than a standalone game.

EGM 6.5/10
The crowded control scheme, uninspired campaign, and limited multiplayer options are completely outclassed by most home-console shooters. If, however, you’re truly desperate to fill that gaping genre hole in your Vita’s library, you won’t have a totally miserable time here.

Edge Magzine 6/10
It is, in other words, a competent handheld version of Killzone, and those who bought a Vita on that promise will be amply satisfied. Others will squint, line up their sights on a speck in the middle distance, squeeze the trigger and hope for the popup confirming their aim was true, and wonder if this is really what handheld gaming should be.

Videogamer 6/10
The fact Mercenary has such strong on-paper ideas only makes its lack of ambition even more disappointing. It’s a smart, fun shooter, with the exact structure needed to slim triple-A FPS down to pick-up-and-play portability, but it never comes through and capitalises on its potential.

Polygon 6/10

Nowgamer 5.5/10
At its most basic, shooting guys in the face in Killzone: Mercenary can be enjoyable but never gives the player any credit in any other facet of the game. Not to mention a repetitive, uninspired mission structure and pocketfuls of missed opportunities, the campaign length coming in at just under four hours.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Scores spanning from 5.5 to 10? What is happening with reviews these days oO.

Hanmik

my review..

http://translate.google.dk/translat...1-spil/318-anmeldelse-killzone-mercenary.html

95/100 I fucking love this game..

Killzone Mercenary is a nice refreshing bid on a handheld FPS games, there are many hours of gaming pleasure (if you take pleasure in killing a lot of virtual opponents) in the game, even for those players who do not bother playing online. Mercenary is ultimately perhaps just "yet" a typical FPS games, but this is a thoroughbred FPS games on a handheld console. Guerrilla Cambridge has delivered a magnificent example of a FPS game that you can take with you everywhere in your pocket, if you own a Vita and miss a game that shows what this console can do, then do not miss out on this game. Do you not have a Vita because you miss a reason to own one, then Killzone Mercenary certainly this reason.

Daingurse

Interesting spread. I own a Vita, probably owe it to myself to buy it for the graphics whore in me alone. Need money goddamnit lol.

I've only played the beta so far, but I dont know how nowgamer can score this game's graphics with 8.0 / 10

I think it deserves 9 at least?

Aiii

So not worth it
Scores spanning from 5.5 to 10? What is happening with reviews these days oO.

Alot of it seems to be a case of reviewing the game as a handheld title, or reviewing the game and comparing it to console titles.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This game is a killer app.

Put more hours in the beta already than many full fledged handheld games over the years.

So damned good.

Its like different people with different opinions are reviewing games. Fucking bullshit.

Well, it is nice to get some sort of vague consensus at least! If for every game you could find a review of just about any given score it does kind of make you wonder what the utility of reviews are at all. It's like you have to actually play the game first and then you decide which reviews you agree with.

I think they wide range really shows that reviewers don't know what to do with Vita games.
Some compare them 1:1 to Ps3 games, other see them as handheld games.

Well atleast the low scores aren't subtle about the Vita tax. lol

Anyways, can't wait to play this. The beta was great, but Im eager to play the singleplayer modes.

Edge Magzine 6/10
It is, in other words, a competent handheld version of Killzone, and those who bought a Vita on that promise will be amply satisfied. Others will squint, line up their sights on a speck in the middle distance, squeeze the trigger and hope for the popup confirming their aim was true, and wonder if this is really what handheld gaming should be.

What caused this is that Sony said its console gaming on the go (which it is) yet a lot of review sites took that to mean its a PS3 on the go (which it isn't).

Seems more sites are starting to review Vita games on their own merits now but a fair few still cant break away from that misunderstanding.

Its fine having differing opinions but the lower scores certainly seem to mostly be because its not as bit / high budget / epic scale and its PS3 cousins. Personally think its the wrong way to judge it but at least its obvious that that is why they downgrade it. Although thats assuming most people read the articles (which they prob dont).

Luckily it has a LOT of very good reviews. Enough to plaster all over adds.

For what it's worth, I'm going to put either 16/20 or 17/20 for this excellent game. I want to spend a night on the multiplayer before choosing and publish my (french) review.

Darien

From VitaLounge - 4.8/5

" If you're looking for a first-person shooter on a handheld, this is the one to get - hands down. Delivering near console quality graphics with a slightly "Vita" take on controls, this one stands far above the rest as the new king of portable shooters."

http://thevitalounge.net/killzone-mercenary/

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Sophia

Controls seem to be a relatively consistent complaint among reviewers, which is what I expected. I didn't expect the reviews to vary so widely however.

Gustav

Banned
Playing the Beta a lot, I'd say it's a potential 7.5/10 for me personally. Will download the actual game today, though. Hope it exceeds my expectations.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Its like different people with different opinions are reviewing games. Fucking bullshit.

Of course reviews shouldn't all be the same but 5.5 is really saying it has a lot of big flaws, I would neither expect well-crafted gameplay-mechanics, nor good level design, whereas 10 implies it's one of the best games ever, where every aspect shines. I get that reviews always differ due to personal preferences, I wouldn't be suprised to see a game range from, say 4-8, but from 5.5 to 10 is absurd. I've only ever given two 10s and if any other reviewer would rate one of those two games a 5.5 I would be seriously amazed.

Reviews or not, i have played the Beta and i was highly satisfied with it so a definately must buy. I would like to see a mobile FPS that can compete with this game, just name one

Alot of it seems to be a case of reviewing the game as a handheld title, or reviewing the game and comparing it to console titles.

Cramming a home console experience on a tiny screen never made sense for me. God bless those of you loving this game, but I'll stick to smaller games on smaller screens. Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami etc. is where it's at. Borderlands 2 on the Vita also seems like a non starter.

Thanks for posting the Push Square review. I think this is an excellent game, that achieves virtually everything that Guerrilla Cambridge/Sony wanted it to - that is, to deliver an excellent FPS on a handheld.

The problem is that it never really ventures away from the recipe that's already established on consoles. For me, I saw the novelty of playing the game on a handheld as a bonus - but I can see why some people would go the other way.

Definitely a great game, though, and well worth picking up - if this is what you've been looking for on Vita, anyway.

How the hell did that happen? Official Magazines aren't supposed to give such low scores to leading titles.
You realize official magazine are not paid to be called official magazine instead they actually have to pay sony for permission to be the official playstation magazine?

Duxxy3

I think the issue is that there isn't much more competition.

Just because it's the best FPS on PSVita, does not inherently mean it's a great game.

But what do you compare it to?

If its OK to score handheld games against console and PC games, handheld scores are going to plummet.

Sophia

Cramming a home console experience on a tiny screen never made sense for me. God bless those of you loving this game, but I'll stick to smaller games on smaller screens. Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami etc. is where it's at. Borderlands 2 on the Vita also seems like a non starter.

I don't think it's merely a case of "cramming a home experience on a portable", so much as this game has genuine flaws that don't need to exist. Like the sensitivity issues, and the rear touch requiring you to hold it.

Only a few reviewers (the most extreme ones) seem to be damming or praising it for trying to be a portable version of the console games.

To be honest I am a bit concerned about the campaign criticism, but I have been playing the BETA a lot and the most important aspect is that it plays and feels great. So I will get this game definitely at the end of the year (need to be careful with spending).

Top Bottom