• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: The Division is not f2p, will include f2p learnings & have frequent updates

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From Game Informer and Ubisoft's CEO again.

He talks a lot more about free 2 play in the interview and how Ubisoft views that going forward.

Game Informer said:
GI (paraphrase): You haven't yet revealed if The Division is a subscription game, a retail game with DLC, or otherwise. Is The Division free 2 play or is that off the table?

Yves: It's off the table. What is happening, and you're right, we arere learning so much from those free 2 play games because they are small MMOs and they're persistent, and games in which content created by consumers is very important. And The Divison is really taking all this information and, as the group learned a lot from the few free 2 plays we've done, we are inserting lots of good ideas in the game that will really enhance the possibilities. But if we come back to it the goal there is to make sure we can have a good rpg, very deep, very solid experience, that can last a long time with a lot of good content coming regularly.

My suspicion based on his answer is that it's probably buy to play, as in you buy the base game, and then it gets frequently updated for free, but there is still a microtransaction store. It would explain all the monetization designer positions and the frequent original rumors that it was free 2 play, but be notably more palatable to console consumers.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-transition-free-to-play-and-game-prices.aspx

FINALBOSS

Banned
Buy to play I can totally deal with. Hopefully Destiny does the same thing. Even if they sell them at 69.99 to offset the extra cost.

EvB

I see it's not free to play in the fact that I will have to buy it, BUT it will have constant nags for me to purchase Tokens!

It's Ubisoft's latest thing.

This and Destiny seem like they will use the Guild Wars model. That's cool with me. I just hope the gameplay in both games is deep enough to sustain extended play.

velociraptor

From Game Informer and Ubisoft's CEO again.

He talks a lot more about free 2 play in the interview and how Ubisoft views that going forward.

My suspicion based on his answer is that it's probably buy to play, as in you buy the base game, and then it gets frequently updated for free, but there is still a microtransaction store. It would explain all the monetization designer positions and the frequent original rumors that it was free 2 play, but be notably more palatable to console consumers.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-transition-free-to-play-and-game-prices.aspx
I don't mind that at all.

B2P with optional cosmetic (or at least non-pvp influencing) micro-transactions is honestly the best payment scheme for MMO's and MMO-esque games going forward. People in the MMO genre are fine with paying some cash to further customize their characters and having to buy the game initially is a tried and true accepted aspect of games.

I'm completely ok with such a pay scheme and honestly prefer it. Paying for the game upfront covers the cost just as much as any non-mmo and option cosmetic micro's allow me to support the game when I want to as well as encourages the Dev to continue to make cool and unique aesthetics.

majorscud

I really want this and destiny to be awesome and have no monthly fee to play.

I don't care if they have real world ads on billboards and loading screens, I don't even care if they offer to sell me glitter covered guns for $4.99. Just please don't hurt gameplay or put a pay wall between me and fun.

Swishh

Banned
I don't think anyone expected this game to be F2P.

However, like others have said, I am perfectly fine with this and Destiny being buy to play. That's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully NO mandatory subscriptions in either game a la The Elder Scrolls Online. Is that realistic, or just wishful thinking?

Zynx

The key lies in exactly what is provided in return for the additional microtransactions. Things that affect gameplay, or things that don't.

Top Bottom