• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Long Dark [Kickstarter; Ex-Relic, Bioware, Riot, Volition devs]

Kickstarter link!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ong-dark-a-first-person-post-disaster-surviva

The Long Dark is the first title from Hinterland Studio, a new developer formed by ex-Relic Entertainment, BioWare, Riot Games and Volition Inc members. It’s an episodic, open world survival game coming to PC, Mac, and Linux.

The project is coming to Kickstarter on September 16, and it’s a first-person sandbox survival experience set in a North America after a disaster has destroyed the nation’s technology infrastructure.

Hinterland’s first episode casts players as bush pilot William Mackenzie who finds himself stranded in the Northern wilderness along with other survivors. As players roam the new frontier, they’ll have to gather resources and knowledge to survive, while overcoming some difficult moral choices that will impact the fate of the game world at large.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/09/ex-...ut-title-the-long-dark-coming-to-kickstarter/

Some concept art:

The-Long-Dark-1.jpg

The-Long-Dark-2.jpg

The-Long-Dark-3.jpg

The-Long-Dark-6.jpg

The-Long-Dark-4.jpg

TheContact

Interesting art style. Looks like a cartoon you would see on Adult Swim or something

Hope the actual game keeps the same style

Apoc29

Definitely looks interesting. Hopefully they can keep the player engaged without resorting to lots of shooting.

FACE

Banned
"first-person sandbox survival experience set in a North America after a disaster has destroyed the nation’s technology infrastructure."

i9uyH3jzAQCtM.gif

Interest rising.

Xanathus

Would be interesting if they keep the concept art style into the actual game, it would look kinda like XIII.

Purkake4

Banned
"first-person sandbox survival experience set in a North America after a disaster has destroyed the nation’s technology infrastructure."

http://i.minus.com/i9uyH3jzAQCtM.gif[IMG]

Interest rising.[/QUOTE]
Opposite reaction here.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah bush pilot. Y'know what I'm saying?

Pubic hair.

Sentenza

Well, the concept is at least interesting.

On a side note, every time I read "survival simulator" I wonder if I'm ever going to see the spiritual sequel to Robinson's Requiem I waited for years.
It wasn't exactly a great game, but what it attempted was incredibly ambitious and cool.

ArjanN

Hey it's Raphael Van Lierop and his awesome beard. I remember him from Space Marine.

Game sounds neat, will back it later.

Mugatu

Looks cool - I have to say i loved the art style until I saw the last pic with the character, I don't like that one so much."

The premise is great, but I really wish we had some in-game footage to look at. Kinda disappointed.

Yeah me too. Especially with that kind of concept art. Are they going for a realistic look and the art is just for design and atmosphere or are they going to try to mimic it more literally? Either way, still interested.

d0g_bear

As a Canadian and someone who installed the Basic Needs mod for skyrim (eat, drink, sleep, warmth), I am obligated to back this. Plus Oculus Rift support stretch goal!

Looks like Joel got his pilot's license. Also looks extremely sexy from first impressions. Very stylistic and pleasing to the eyes.
Interesting art style. Looks like a cartoon you would see on Adult Swim or something

Hope the actual game keeps the same style
Oh this really captures what was going through my mind. They should definitely stick with this sort of style.

hemtae

I just got around to looking at this and I really like most of what I'm seeing.

I'll jump in when it gets close to the oculus rift stretch goal.

kuppy

Kind of bummer it is first person, art style looks very promising but without actual gameplay, sorry too many projects already backed. Best wishes.

calder

Forgot about this for a while, but saw it mentioned somewhere else so I looked into it more.

My first kickstarter pledge. Hope they make it!

Ah shit, now that I've broken the seal on KS I want to look up Hyper Light Drifter, although that's less like kickstarting and more like preordering.

Gumbie

Bums me out this isn't getting more funding or attention. They are including oculus rift support if it hits $100,000 by midnight. It looks like it will but I'm not sure if they will make the final goal of $200,000 in the next couple of weeks.

They just updated the kickstarter page with the first screenshots of the game.

31adcb2e17504bf7457da1100dd4dd18_large.jpg

45bd9c003333e5d2c013440190a6164e_large.jpg

09898df58f68e2d467c787fdb16ef923_large.jpg

Game looks really sharp. I didn't think the style from the concept art would translate this well.

Top Bottom