• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good youtube downloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sielys

Hey, just quick question.

I want to download some tracks off of youtube, but there's so many youtube downloaders I don't know which ones are good. I already tried a couple, but it didn't turn out very well. Either spam galore or the tracks didn't sound the same as when played onsite.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and mods, I'm not up to anything nefarious by the way. Just want to download this guys edits. Very relaxing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RInfernal/videos

Sielys

download youtube videos as mp4

Comes in Firefox addon and greasemonkey script.

Cool, this works perfectly.

Follow up question: Does it matter which resolution I download the .mp4 in? I've been told youtube audio quality doesn't change between 360p and 1080p (so just download the lowest quality for the smallest file), but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

arit

Follow up question: Does it matter which resolution I download the .mp4 in? I've been told youtube audio quality doesn't change between 360p and 1080p (so just download the lowest quality for the smallest file), but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

I just tried it

Code:
360p_mp4: Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 96 kb/s

1080p_mp4: Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s

At least the mp4 files use different audio-quality settings, though everything above 240p should be ok. At least while watching videos on yt, the <=240p settings stand out in regards to audio quality.

dalVlatko

Chrome Youtube Downloader is pretty good

It just adds a button under every video where you can choose how you want to download

74FO2Uy.png

It totally depends on the upload quality of the audio. It's possible to have high quality video and still have low quality audio if that's how it was uploaded. It also depends on when the clip was uploaded since in July 2012 Youtube bumped up the max from 152 to 192 kbps AAC. Currently, 720p and up supports 192 kbps AAC, while at 480p the max is 128 kbps. The lowest is 64 kbps at 240p. But it won't matter if you switch to 1080p if the original audio is 64 kbps. Either way, I always choose 720p MP4 if available.

Teppic

I've always used Video DownloadHelper addon for Firefox. If I want the music I load the file in Audacity with it's ffmpeg library. Then converting the exported wave file with lamedrop.

AHH!

Guys/Gals!!! I was going to make a thread about this last week. Maybe I can get the answer here....

Is there a way for me to know the quality of audio that I am hearing?

As in, when I am on my computer I do not trust the octopus of wires going out of my headphone jack, into my ears. I often don't know I've sampled a shitty < 128kbps version until I am in my car or home on a proper system.

What I am imagining is an application that monitors the kbps and hz (sorry if that's the wrong terminology but that is what I go by in my mp3playing app) of what I am listening to.

Because I sample manually. I use Total Recorder to grab whatever I am playing, live, then I save it is a 320kbps mp3, but half the time they still come out poopy.

Hey, just quick question.

I want to download some tracks off of youtube, but there's so many youtube downloaders I don't know which ones are good. I already tried a couple, but it didn't turn out very well. Either spam galore or the tracks didn't sound the same as when played onsite.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and mods, I'm not up to anything nefarious by the way. Just want to download this guys edits. Very relaxing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RInfernal/videos

I use http://www.ytddownloader.com/ works great.

Putting in my vote for jdownloader, too. Don't even need to extract the audio, because their YouTube decrypter lets you just download an MP3 of the video. Great program for downloading streaming video from other sites as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom