• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen "Game Upgrade" programs

Allforce

I got curious about the "upgrade program" and started looking into this and if you're a cheap ass gamer like me, this might be a real awesome scenario, check it out..

This is from the EA site:
All Retailers (EU, US)

Inside marked copies of Battlefield 4 for PlayStation®3 there will be a voucher with a unique code printed on it. This code will allow you the one-time opportunity until March 28, 2014 to purchase a digital version of Battlefield 4 via the PlayStation®Store for only $9.99/£9.99/9.99€. Check back here soon for more details.

So basically, say 59.99 gets you a PS3 copy and a voucher with a code on it. Use that voucher and pay 9.99 and download a digital copy of BF4 on PS4. So why not just buy the PS3 version, immediately sell it back to to a used game store and get your maximum trade-in value for it and keep the voucher? You'll end up paying like 30-35 bucks total (assuming you get 35-40 in trade or whatever deal they're running).

Ubisoft and Activision are doing the same program so you could conceivably just do this for all big 3rd party next-gen titles. Watch Dogs, AC4, Ghost, etc.

Am I missing something here? If you're not tied to an online community or anything why not just buy the PS3 version and rip out the voucher (hell do it right in the store) and sell it right back to them? You're going to pay a much more reduced cost for a game (although the downside to some might be you're getting a digital-only copy) But for 30-40 bucks I'm ok with that, especially if you can keep flipping the savings into some other brand new games that also offer the upgrade program deal.

Not sure about the loophole you're suggesting, but this is the first I've heard that the price will be $10 and that's a fricking great deal. I assumed it'd be something like $30 for a next-gen copy, but damn, $10.

jbug617

Banned
I know that Amazon, GameStop and Microsoft Store is running a 360- Xbox One upgrade program for certain games (big 3rd party games)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'll repost what I said in the other thread, there has to be a catch to that BF4 PS4 deal cause it sounds way too good to be true.

prag16

Banned
Well, that obviously thoroughly shits on "the spirit" of this program.

And seems too convenient. Makes me think they may have some way to mitigate that, such as some kind of check to ensure you still own the last gen version at the time of next gen redemption, at the minimum.

Agent X

So basically, say 59.99 gets you a PS3 copy and a voucher with a code on it. Use that voucher and pay 9.99 and download a digital copy of BF4 on PS4. So why not just buy the PS3 version, immediately sell it back to to a used game store and get your maximum trade-in value for it and keep the voucher? You'll end up paying like 30-35 bucks total (assuming you get 35-40 in trade or whatever deal they're running).

I was thinking about this possibility as well. I wonder if the game publishers will find some way to discourage or altogether prevent users from turning around and flipping the games in this manner. For example, they might require you to insert the PS3 or Xbox 360 disc into your newer PS4 or Xbox One system as a "key" to prove that you purchased the game.

Allforce

I know that Amazon, GameStop and Microsoft Store is running a 360- Xbox One upgrade program for certain games (big 3rd party games)

The retailer's catch is "trade in your PS3 copy of BF4/COD/AC4/etc, and get the PS4 version for 9.99".

My scenario involves just buying the game on PS3, ripping that code out and selling the game right back to GameStop for trade-in value, which is obviously highest right when the game comes out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, that obviously thoroughly shits on "the spirit" of this program.

And seems too convenient. Makes me think they may have some way to mitigate that, such as some kind of check to ensure you still own the last gen version at the time of next gen redemption, at the minimum.

Probably no checks since it's a digital game on a new PSN store. I can see retailers like Gamestop tanking the trade-in value on those games though.

Allforce

The very design of the program though "shits all over the spirit". They want people to buy BF4 on Oct 29th for PS3, then in a few weeks/months upgrade to the PS4 version. Do they expect those people to hang on to their PS3 copy? 99% of people who do this are going to sell that thing off towards other games.

I'm just talking about reducing the turnaround to maximize value.

The retailer's catch is "trade in your PS3 copy of BF4/COD/AC4/etc, and get the PS4 version for 9.99".

My scenario involves just buying the game on PS3, ripping that code out and selling the game right back to GameStop for trade-in value, which is obviously highest right when the game comes out.

The catch would be Gamestop/etc. lowering the trade in value because they know the market is going to get flooded with used copies of the 360/PS3 version of the game for this reason. You may only get $20-25 for it instead of $30-45.

Ploid 3.0

I'll repost what I said in the other thread, there has to be a catch to that BF4 PS4 deal cause it sounds way too good to be true.

EA don't seem to have a problem giving away it's games that have high DLC plans. Think of it as a pseudo f2p plan.

KaYotiX

Banned
Like I said in then other thread about this.

I'm sure to get the upgrade for BF4 EA will check your origin account to see IF the ps3 version is tied to it. You need to login with origin anyways so I'd bet they can see if u have played BF4 on ps3. No way it's just a code that let's up buy it on ps4 for $10 that you could sell or give away

Allforce

I'm sure to get the upgrade for BF4 EA will check your origin account to see IF the ps3 version is tied to it. You need to login with origin anyways so I'd bet they can see if u have played BF4 on ps3. No way it's just a code that let's up buy it on ps4 for $10 that you could sell or give away

Look at the wording though in the OP, it says "a voucher will be included". Not "inserting your PS3 disc gives you access to a one-time use voucher" or "Origin check required".

There's no way they can check or would be bothered to, you're just another number in the userbase who might buy DLC. A copy sold is a copy sold to EA in the early stages of next-gen.

aristotle

I would assume to download the "next gen" version you need to launch the old gen version and it launches the store from that version, if you get what I mean. It's mitigated though since you can just borrow or rent a game to go through the store that way.

I have no idea so this is tales from my ass.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
This is the first I've heard of this, its only for PS3 no X360? I know retailers are taking trade ins and then giving you the next gen game for 9.99 but this sounds too good to be true.

Radec

The drawback for me is that it is digital. I hate digital games. Cant resell it, cant lend it to someone.

Mohasus

Look at the wording though in the OP, it says "a voucher will be included". Not "inserting your PS3 disc gives you access to a one-time use voucher" or "Origin check required".

There's no way they can check or would be bothered to, you're just another number in the userbase who might buy DLC. A copy sold is a copy sold to EA in the early stages of next-gen.

Hot Shots Golf World International (JP) had something like this on Vita/PS3.

Below the game on the XMB there was an option "disc benefits", where you would enter your code and be redirected to the store to buy the vita version at a discounted price.

You could trade in the game after this anyway.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
That's one way to flip the bird at Gamestop. I believe that have an offer along the same lines, but you must trade in your copy to get the next gen version.

Zep

Banned

Not sure I'm understanding you. You have to open the game anyway to get the code. EA already has your sale, they probably don't give a damn what you do with it afterwards.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Details on COD Ghosts:
http://community.callofduty.com/comm...-upgrade-plans

Looks like PS3/PS4 has the best deal since you can buy a PS3 disc, upgrade to the digital version on PS4, then do whatever you want with the PS3 disc.
It probably does a disc check of the PS3 disc every time you try to launch the PS4 version like BF4.

If I upgrade to PlayStation 4, what happens with my physical PlayStation 3 disk?
You must have the PlayStation 3 Battlefield 4 disk in your PlayStation 4 in order to play BF4 on PS4.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/upgrade-to-nextgen/

Yeah was always going to be something like that and that's fair enough if you ask me. Saves people trying to screw the system and getting a cheap copy.

You must have the PlayStation 3 Battlefield 4 disk in your PlayStation 4 in order to play BF4 on PS4.
So that special digital version of BF4 will not work on PS4 unless you have disk version of PS3 in it?

What?

FyreWulff

So that special digital version of BF4 will not work on PS4 unless you have disk version of PS3 in it?

What?

Yep. Uses the PS3 version as a physical key to play the cheap digital PS4 version.

You're basically paying for PS4 mode for your PS3 copy.

lucius

If Watch Dogs and AC4 upgrade program makes you have the PS3 disk inside the PS4 every time you start the game I won't even bother since that takes away one of the best things about owning it digital. Just will only get the PS4 versions.

DBT85

What?

Stops people doing exactly what the OP described. Buy the game, take the code out, trade it back the next day for 90% of the original price and only pay a tiny amount for the PS4 version.

Which means there is no way to get the game for cheap. If you really want it on the PS4 and want it as cheap as possible, buy it on the PS4, as buying the PS3 version and paying the upgrade is still more expensive than just buying it for the PS4.

This is why I'm preordering on psn, I can't be bothered putting in the ps3 disk every time I want to play the ps4 version. I'll be playing bf4/ghosts a lot so I want them on my hdd

Lunchbox

Banned
Sounds like they've convinced people to pay 70$ for the game instead of 60$.
seriously

no wonder you get posts about "I can't afford this, I can't afford that."

learn to take control of your money. wait 10 days and buy the next gen version 10$ cheaper. use the money to get a decent meal or some shampoo. video games aren't life you will survive 2 weeks

Allforce

Well that puts that theory to rest, although the way game prices drop so suddenly nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if picking up a PS3 version + 10 dollar digital code can be had for less than the price of the PS4 version.

Some retailers had BF3 for as low as 35 bucks within 2 weeks of release, which is still a decent savings with the upgrade price vs 59.99

Top Bottom