• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X & Y will not receive post-release patches to game engine

JoeM86

Pokemon X and Y won't be given patches with balance updates, Game Freak has said.

Game director Junichi Masuda explained that although imbalances "could happen", as with previous entries in the series, he believes the team has "got it right" this time.

"We don't really plan to release any kind of updates to change the balance," he told Digital Spy.

"Of course, we think we have it perfect this time, but thought that before and depending on certain move combinations.

"For example, at points a lot of people used the Metal Grass Pokemon because they were so strong - and everyone is using that Pokemon.

"Something like that could happen, and we think we have it perfect, and we don't plan to release any kind of balance changes."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-online-patches-to-rebalance-moves-types.html

Glad that they feel they put the effort in. It's always somewhat annoying to me to see new "balance" patches for games every couple of months

Sandfox

I wouldn't expect them too. It would be annoying and weird for them to go into the game and change a Pokemon's stats or moveset.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

It's all well and good that they think they won't need patches, but with literally hundreds of characters each with their own set of distinct stats, patching should never be ruled out.

I wonder how much Gamefreak is aware of competitive pokemon (on smogon and such). I'm planning to go back if the XY 'metagame' is good, so I'm hoping they really did have a serious look at the game balance. Then again, part of the fun of competitive pokemon is that it's not really designed to be played that way.

EDIT: At least, that is my impression of it.

JoeM86

I wonder how much they are aware of competitive pokemon (smogon and such). I'm planning to go back if the XY metagame is good, so I hope they really had a serious look at the game balance.

They are very much aware of it. Contrary to what people believe, they don't just add things on a whim, they plot everything out perfectly.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"You guys are going to give us too much money anyway I don't see why we should bother with improving the game."

Toxi

Banned
As long as it's not as bad as Diamond and Pearl, I'm okay with engine issues.

Diamond and Pearl have some really terrible slow-down, and it makes me unable to replay them these days.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think something like that should never be patched. Leave the game as is and if someone wants to cry, let him.

hupla

You can never really say how balanced your game is on a competitive level until it is in the hands of the players. I'm glad these guys have pride in what they created but it mostly sounds like the same BS youd hear from capcom about one of their fighting games. They really shouldn't rule out patches this early

Infinite

You can never really say how balanced your game is on a competitive level until it is in the hands of the players. I'm glad these guys have pride in what they created but it mostly sounds like the same BS youd hear from capcom about one of their fighting games. They really shouldn't rule out patches this early
They aren't ruling out patches they just don't plan on it at this point in the game.

Sandfox

Yup Double Team is the epitome of perfection.

I honestly do not know what would be changed about Double Team if they wanted to change it without making it a completely different move since all it does is raise evasion by one stage.

If they didn't want Double Team to work like that, it wouldn't work like that
"If they didn't want this move to be a broken piece of shit derided by the community for more than a decade, it wouldn't work like that"

I guess anything can be spun as perfection if it was always intended to be bad.

Toxi

Banned
They're not going to fix Double Team now, and they won't fix it with a patch.

:-\

I honestly wouldn't mind Double Team getting the axe. Same with Minimize. Missing just isn't fun.

Firestorm

"If they didn't want this move to be a broken piece of shit derided by the community for more than a decade, it wouldn't work like that"

I guess anything can be spun as perfection if it was always intended to be bad.
If Double Team was "unbalanced" in a way that made it good, it would be used a lot. I can tell you from experience that it's not worth using. That's why none of the top players use it. I'm sure Game Freak's stats show the same thing as they collect quite a few bit of usage data on the Pokemon Global Link.

I wonder how much Gamefreak is aware of competitive pokemon (on smogon and such). I'm planning to go back if the XY 'metagame' is good, so I'm hoping they really did have a serious look at the game balance. Then again, part of the fun of competitive pokemon is that it's not really designed to be played that way.

EDIT: At least, that is my impression of it.
Game Freak is very aware of the competitive battling community. They probably don't pay much attention to sites like Smogon and Pokemon Online which mostly concern themselves with custom rulesets, but I assume they do pay attention to the Japanese blogosphere and twitter. They're also on record as saying they pay close attention to the World Championships and through a friend of a friend know that their playtesting groups are quite skilled.

It's actually ridiculous how much thought has been put into some very complex move interactions.

Sandfox

They're not going to fix Double Team now, and they won't fix it with a patch.

:-\

I honestly wouldn't mind Double Team getting the axe. Same with Minimize. Missing just isn't fun.

I don't have a problem with it ingame but it can be annoying if a real person spammed it.

Firestorm

Of course they will if there is a game breaking bug.
BW2 did not fix the Sky Drop glitch. Instead they opted to keep banning the move Sky Drop instead which was disappointing.

In any case, Masuda says patches aren't planned. Not that they would never, ever, patch the game.

Edit: OP only quoted part of the article. There's more. I recommend clicking it.

JoeM86

BW2 did not fix the Sky Drop glitch. Instead they opted to keep banning the move Sky Drop instead which was disappointing.

In any case, Masuda says patches aren't planned. Not that they would never, ever, patch the game.

Edit: OP only quoted part of the article. There's more. I recommend clicking it.

To be fair, them fixing the Sky Drop glitch would have caused some issues in compatibility with Black & White

I wonder if they'll reconsider patching the games if it happens that the hacking community discovers how to insert hacked pokemon.

One of the things that annoys me the most this gen and the previous one is the abundance of hacked pokemon, or even "legal" pokemon that are created with pokegen or whatever.

Sandfox

I wonder if they'll reconsider patching the games if it happens that the hacking community discovers how to insert hacked pokemon.

One of the things that annoys me the most this gen and the previous one is the abundance of hacked pokemon, or even "legal" pokemon that are created with pokegen or whatever.

That would probably depend on how its done.

Artemisia

Banned
Why make a statement like this, I don't understand.

If balance issues arise just fix them. Who cares if you believe you got it right?

I believe that it's a good thing that no patching will be done to any Pokémon game for balance reasons... it's actually kind of hard to think of a concrete reason for this, but maybe people don't really like too much change... and a moving target...

Either way, the wording still leaves open patches to fix game-breaking bugs and the like, as well as possibly performance improvements down the line, and perhaps introduce new forms down the line if/when a newer game comes into picture.

JoeM86

Why make a statement like this, I don't understand.

If balance issues arise just fix them. Who cares if you believe you got it right?

It's not that they made a statement, it's that they were asked and so they answered that they don't intend to.

vareon

This may sound bullshit, but I believe their mentality is world first--if a Pokemon or move turns out to be unbalanced, then it is unbalanced in a sense that there are Pokemon far stronger than others in their world. They don't want to tinker with the world they have presented.

Of course, this has to be finely balanced so that it doesn't clash with the competitive community, which is easier said than done. But they seem to believe that imbalance can be somewhat fixed with house rules. YMMV, obviously.

L~A

Wait, what? Did they really write that (see bolded part) :

For example, at points a lot of people used the Metal Grass Pokemon because they were so strong - and everyone is using that Pokemon.

.... don't tell me they didn't realise it was Metagross?!

Wow. Did the translator not know the JP equivalent of Metagross, or did the guys who wrote the article not realise he was writing non-sense?

Anyway, it's clear he's only talking about game balance, not glitches and the likes (thankfully). Which is a pretty healthy mindset, as long as they don't go and ignore balant imbalances if there's some.

patapuf

If your multiplayer has any kind of complexity there is no way you get it "right" the first time. I have never encountered a good MP game that doesn't benefit from post releasse support.

Wow. Did the translator not know the JP equivalent of Metagross, or did the guys who wrote the article not realise he was writing non-sense?

I assume he's talking about Ferrothorn, a grass/steel-type pokemon.

upandaway

Anyway, it's clear he's only talking about game balance, not glitches and the likes (thankfully). Which is a pretty healthy mindset, as long as they don't go and ignore balant imbalances if there's some.
I thought he just meant Grass/Steel like Ferrothorn, but.. that would be pretty funny if it's true.

TheOGB

Banned
No... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Oh wait, he means balance patches. Good, I don't care as much then. Here's hoping they indeed got it right for those that do, though!

Firestorm

Metagross would make a lot of sense actally. Metagross was the #1 used Pokemon on their Doubles GBU ladder for a full year (Season 5 to 9) and only recently saw a drop in usage. It was very popular among the Japanese as well as internationally in tournaments as well.

Metagross would make a lot of sense actally. Metagross was the #1 used Pokemon on their Doubles GBU ladder for a full year (Season 5 to 9) and only recently saw a drop in usage. It was very popular among the Japanese as well as internationally in tournaments as well.

It would also be consistent with their nerfs to the Steel type in XY.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-online-patches-to-rebalance-moves-types.html

Glad that they feel they put the effort in. It's always somewhat annoying to me to see new "balance" patches for games every couple of months

Balance patches to any game don't happen because developers missed obviously OP stuff because they're lazy as hell or blind--they happen because online competitive games give rise to unexpected and emergent strategies that developers compensate for in order to ensure competitive variety.

Fireblend

Banned
No problem, they can just fix them/rebalance in Pokemon Z.

KuGsj.gif

Keep making Pokemon threads, they're the only thing holding me over until release :'(

Symphonic

What's with the thread title? He clearly said that he "thinks" they got it perfect but make it incredibly clear that it's definitely still an option.

Top Bottom