• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda III - NES Cart proven real(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koam

First the Backstory:

A seller on eBay is purported to have found at a flea market (for $20) a very early copy of The Legend of Zelda III for the original NES. Dubbed The Legend of Zelda III: The Triforce Saga on a rather crude label (pictured), this beta (version 0.6.24) seems kind of shady.

It is possible (and likely) that a Zelda III was being planned in 1990, but the seller has given very little promise to the game. In his words, “I have no time to play around with these things, I’m a really busy guy” who does not have at his disposal an NES to test it out. Still, he promises to compensate, if it is not legitimate, for an item of equal or greater value than the winning bid.

So far the bid is at $182.50, and the auction runs until Saturday, October 22nd, at around 2:30 EDT. It is hard to trust eBay auctions of the sort these days, but a cartridge like this would indeed be a rare find; can anyone shed some light on the (il)legitimacy of this auction?

Now, the update:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000357064460/

Remember that dubious looking eBay auction which claimed to be an unreleased Zelda 3 game for NES? Now that the auction has gone down Richard (the owner), decided to get ahold of a NES console and test the cartridge. He managed to successfully boot the game and play around with it for a bit. The game is very buggy, which is to be expected from a game that is only around 50-60% complete.

Richard has promised to put gameplay shots up on his site as soon as possible. Right now he’s unsure about what to do with the game, now that its legitimacy is proven. One commenter on his site suggests that the last thing he should do is stash the game away in his collection. Instead he should rip it onto a ROM and distribute it, then either sell the cart or donate it to a museum. What do you think he should do with it?

3060000000050302.JPG

z3pscan.jpg

This guy, claims to have a cart (no longer working) of zelda 3 that was one version later than the one the guy on ebay was selling. He compared the two.

http://www.ratedo.com/articles/z3proto.html

The Mystery Behind Zelda III
By Okibi

Updates To This Page Are At The Bottom, Newest Coming Last

I know some of you are probably thinking that this article is going to be about Zelda: A Link To The Past, but it's not. It's going to be about the Zelda game that was intended to be the third in the series. This game was never released and was never given a name. In fact, less people have heard about this game then the population of the town I grew up in, which happened to have been 27. This game is simply refered to as Zelda III.

As far as I know, there is only one copy of this game in existence, and yes I have it. The game itself is for the NES. It was meant to come out shortly after Zelda 2, but never was released. After the release of the SNES, Nintendo set the Zelda III project for the NES aside and started over, taking some ideas from the game. This new game they made, A Link To The Past, became the third game in the Zelda series. Awhile later, Nintendo wanted to increase sales of their Game Boy so they decided to make a Zelda game for it. Rather then start from scratch, they took Zelda III for the NES and ported it to the Game Boy. They added some items, changed the story, changed the map, added the menu, and some other various things. The game was tweaked so much it was no longer the Zelda III they started with, but was based of it. They released this game as Link's Awakening, the fourth game in the Zelda series.

That should tell you what happened to Zelda III for the NES, but what was the NES version like and how far along was it? Well, according to Nintendo Power, the Proto would have been no more then 70% complete, which I'd say is probably correct. The proto I have now no longer works, but it did several years ago, and I played the game a few times. It played like A Link To The Past, but had the feel of Adventure of Link. The graphics also looked a lot like the Legend Of Zelda. The music and sound effects were the same as in the previous Zelda games for the NES. I bet that confused a lot of you out there, how it could be both like ALTTP and AOL. Well, there seemed to be a start of an experience system, not like the one in AOL. I'm not sure how that aspect was to turn out. Anyways, the odd part was that you had the world map much like in AOL, but you didn't walk around on it, but rather you "traveled" to different areas. It's much like how you'd go to a castle or cave in AOL, but the difference was that in AOL, you went to a side-scrolling map. In Zelda III, you went to the top-down view used in LOZ and ALTTP. I really like this aspect as it was easier to travel and it kept the great top-down style that I love. The items you collected were basically the same from the first two Zelda games, so nothing new was added yet.

Now what about the story? Well, it was hard to tell exactly. I don't think the story was even close to finished, but I think they were wanting to do a cross between what they did with ALTTP and LA. What I mean is they had the alternate thing going on, but not on the level of ALTTP. They didn't have the whole Dark World thing going either, but rather it was like a different or "dream world" like in LA. There also, come to think of it, wasn't a title screen finished. It simply said Zelda III and went to the game. There really isn't much else to say about the story as it clearly wasn't finished.

The most important thing is to remember what happened. Nintendo developed the third Zelda game, but due to the release of the SNES scratched the idea to start over and to improve upon other ideas they came up with. At this point apparently the Zelda III Proto, near finished and in sample form, was lost. They later took this build and ported it to the Game Boy, which became LA. To end this article, I'd like to show you a few pictures to back this story up. Keep in mind that this game was once refered to as Zelda: A Link To The Past 2 and was thought to be a sequel to ALTTP that got canned. While this is that game, it's actually the third in the series as it was intended to be, but later became Link's Awakening.

FAQs of the supposed cart:

Zelda III NES Proto FAQs

It seems that a lot of people have some questions about this game. Well, I'll answer every question I get and post them here. Before sending me any questions, please make sure it isn't already answered here.

I'll answer questions in the following format:
#. Statement made by me, if one was made, that the question is about.
Q. The question that was asked.
A. My answer to the question.

1. There seemed to be a start of an experience system, not like the one in AOL.
Q. Can you describe this a little further? Maybe there were no experience points but you leveled up by collecting quest items? That would have been great.
A. It was hard to tell. It was clear that you were meant to level up. It felt like Dragon Warrior like you have to walk around and gain levels, but I don't remember actually being able to level up, so I think they hadn't implemented that yet.

2. You had the world map much like in AOL, but you didn't walk around on it, but rather you "traveled" to different areas.
Q. So it was like the map in Four Swords Adventures or Illusion of Gaia? The thing I like about this sort of map, is that it makes it look like Link is traveling a lot more than he would in your typical Zelda game (as you probably know, the area of the first game is "included" in the lower left of AoL)
A. Yeah, it was kind of like the Four Swords Adventures map, but didn't show Link, rather it had a little box thing with arrows pointing to directions you could go. It was almost like using the flute in ALTTP to select an area, but more advanced. Kinda hard to explain I guess.

3. It was almost like using the flute in ALTTP to select an area, but more advanced.
Q. Advanced? How? I mean what was different? Only in looks perhaps?
A. Well, in ALTTP you just hit buttons to rotate through the list more or less. On this map, you moved the selector or whatever you call it around to choose an area. Not really more advanced as much as more sophisticated.

4. You had the world map much like in AOL, but you didn't walk around on it, but rather you "traveled" to different areas.
Q. What was this map like? Entirely original? Or did it resemble one that we know (I think you said it was like ALttP... so you basically just moved to each location as if using a flute?)
A. It was a map of Hyrule almost identical to ALTTP's map. There were a few changes, like it took place at a different time, or they just hadn't decided what all to put on the map. There also seemed to be kind of a transition of the map, much like the Light/Dark Worlds of ALTTP, only I don't think you could use an item to get back and forth, but rather ended up in the other world eventually (maybe it was after beating a dungeon?). I don't think this feature was finished yet either, but it was working.

5. There also seemed to be kind of a transition of the map, much like the Light/Dark Worlds of ALTTP, only I don't think you could use an item to get back and forth, but rather ended up in the other world eventually (maybe it was after beating a dungeon?). I don't think this feature was finished yet either, but it was working.
Q. So, how did you trigger that? (I realize it was probably not in the way you were meant to, I'm just wondering)
A. If I remember correctly, you beat the first dungeon and ended up in the other world where you could get to the second dungeon. I'm pretty sure that's what caused the transition.

6. I don't think the story was even close to finished
Q. So the dialogues didn't reveal much? (Was there an evil wizard?) Oh and just how far could you go in the game? I mean how many dungeons could you complete (and were they somewhat like in ALttP/LA?)
A. Well, I don't remember following a story (or talking to characters for that matter). But the dungeons were there and you got an item in the dungeon as usual, and at the end collect a piece of something that looked like a rock. It didn't have the snazzy "You go the *** piece!" dialog, but rather the sound of getting an item, if you know what I mean. There wasn't a wizard, and I remember playing two dungeons, but giving up after that due to lack of understanding what I was doing. (No story and no guidance makes it harder lol)

7. I don't remember following a story (or talking to characters for that matter).
Q. No characters? Figures, I never would have guessed they'd leave those for last.
A. There were characters, I just have a tendency not to talk to them lol. Just like in AOL, I don't talk to characters unless I have to, and I don't believe there were any forced encounters with them like there is in ALTTP.

8. Apparently the eBay auction got pulled.
Q. Do you know why?
A. Yes. eBay doesn't allow protos/devs/betas to be sold through them. Someone turned in the auction and eBay pulled it.

9. eBay doesn't allow protos/devs/betas to be sold through them. Someone turned in the auction and eBay pulled it.
Q. Because of copyright infringement?
A. Exactly.

10. Q. About that title screen, the moment I saw "The Triforce Saga" written there I thought "lame hack", because just about every hack uses the word Triforce in its title... but then I realized something: this could very well be a religious free translation of Kamigami No Toraifosu cart to me
A. Well like I said earlier, there is no title screen in the proto. I don't think they'd add a title screen to a buggier version of the game AND make it that ugly AND that "generic" of a name. Sounds like he has a hacl burned to an NES

11. "About that title screen, the moment I saw "The Triforce Saga" written there I thought "lame hack", because just about every hack uses the word I don't think they'd add a title screen to a buggier version of the game AND make it that ugly AND that "generic" of a name. Sounds like he has a hack burned to an NES "
Q. It does look kinda ugly, but if you look carefully, it's clearly the cliff with the Triforce seen in ALttP's manual artwork, even with the circle around the Triforce, only made within the NES limitations. And Triforce of the Gods too has become a very generic name now, but it obviously wasn't so back then
A. Well, I don't think his image is the 8-bit version of that ALTTP image. It closer resembles LA's title screen with the egg sitting on the mountain surrounded by sky. Actually, it looks a lot like it, but with a triforce rather then the egg, which fits the original story of Zelda III. it just doesn't make any sense why his cart would have that title screen.

12. Q. Oh and this is just a curiosity: I believe you said the protos are in English, do you know why Nintendo would do them in such a manner? Maybe they were meant for some expo like the CES?
A. I'm not sure if it was an English or Japanese proto. I played it years ago and there wasn't any text that I remember honestly. I don't even remember having the name thing. Odd how there wasn't much text in it, but maybe that was due to the lack of story created yet.

13. Q. Do you remember which items you found in the game?
A. Like I said earlier, when you complete the dungeons you got some kind of rock or stone thing. It didn't say what it was, it just made that sound of picking up an item from LOZ and AOL.

Juice

A lot of us Nintendo historians are probably scratching their heads. I don't think word of this title ever got out, anywhere.

What's particularly suspicious is that this is an NES cart and not a famicom. Why the hell would Nintendo have early beta software on an NES cart as opposed to a famicom one? Unless it was a port of a finished famicom game (like the FDS version of zelda, maybe).

I call bullshit, but I'd love to be wrong.

koam

Has anyone ever heard of this? I updated the main post with some info I've found while looking around. I remember that Nintendo Power Article. I have NEVER heard of Zelda 3 either though.

SantaC

koam said:
Has anyone ever heard of this? I updated the main post with some info I've found while looking around. I remember that Nintendo Power Article. I have NEVER heard of Zelda 3 either though.

I guess it's possible though since smb went to 3 games on NES. I find it weird that it took all these years for info and media to leak.

thomaser

Seems like a very elaborate hoax to me. Putting a homebrewn game into a NES-cartridge would be kinda cumbersome, but not impossible by any means.

I can't remember there ever being even the tiniest rumours about a third NES Zelda-game. If there were a truth in this, a beta would much more likely turn up in Japan on a Famicom Disk-system ROM cartridge (the Japanese betas I've seen always come on those special bulky, black ROM-carts, not on regular ones), and not in the US on a NES-cart. And even then, it would be far too good to be true. Betas of Nintendo's own games are so heavily protected that they almost never get out to collectors. I only know about two instances where this has definitely happened, and at least one of those betas were stolen.

It would be insanely cool if true, of course, but I really doubt it. It being an unheard of Zelda-game makes it even less likely.

koam

SantaCruZer said:
I guess it's possible though since smb went to 3 games on NES. I find it weird that it took all these years for info and media to leak.

From what I'm gathering, if you look at the link I posted from ratedo.com, that guy claims to have a prototype of the game that was a bit further in developement than the cart the guy on ebay was selling. He compares his cart to the one the other guy sold. This is pretty weird. I don't doubt that a third zelda game was in the making, but I do doubt that 2 people have a hold of it.

a couple years ago a guy found the only working copy of california raisens for nes, so this doesnt surprise me although the cart looked fake to me and didnt have any indications of a proto.

jett

D-Member
This is bullshit. That scan is from Nintendo Power btw, and it was published a few months before the actual release of Link's Awakening(I still have the magazine somewhere around here...)...in 1993. Why the shit would Nintendo port an alleged unreleased game NES game from 1990 to the Gameboy in 92/93? It's all made up.

koam

jett said:
This is bullshit. That scan is from Nintendo Power btw, and it was published a few months before the actual release of Link's Awakening(I still have the magazine somewhere around here...)...in 1993.

Err, yeah he says it's a scan from Nintendo power on the site:

This is the scan of Zelda III for the NES during the process of being ported to the Game Boy. Notice the graphics, the overworld map (which is Hyrule, not Kohilint), and the sprites.

MarkMacD

If this is real, how come only one blurry pic of the title screen? Let me guess: he ran out of film, and he didn't have time to buy more--he's a busy man!!

This is 100% bullshit. Sad that joystiq fell for it.

thomaser

There are several unreleased NES-games in the hands of collectors, but common to all of them is that they were not made by Nintendo. There are a few by Konami, a few by Capcom, and others made by smaller companies. Most of those came out on the market because of the companies going bankrupt, and their inventory being liquified and sold.

I have an unreleased SNES-game myself. A Steven Seagal-game by... I think it's Acclaim. I don't even remember :) So they're not impossible to find if the game was made by a company less protective of their property than Nintendo.

Juice said:
A lot of us Nintendo historians are probably scratching their heads. I don't think word of this title ever got out, anywhere.

What's particularly suspicious is that this is an NES cart and not a famicom. Why the hell would Nintendo have early beta software on an NES cart as opposed to a famicom one? Unless it was a port of a finished famicom game (like the FDS version of zelda, maybe).

I call bullshit, but I'd love to be wrong.

Exactly. How is the only known prototype an American version?

koam

I posted this for discussion but I also find it hard to believe. It has all the symptoms of fake that we know about:

1) Blurry picture, ALL fakes are blurry because those people never have good cameras for some reason :p
2) They are the only person in the world to have the item
3) No one else has heard about it.

I would like for this to be true but I strongly doubt it is.

Xrenity

MarkMacD said:
If this is real, how come only one blurry pic of the title screen? Let me guess: he ran out of film, and he didn't have time to buy more--he's a busy man!!

This is 100% bullshit. Sad that joystiq fell for it.
/thread

jett

D-Member
koam said:
Err, yeah he says it's a scan from Nintendo power on the site:

This is the scan of Zelda III for the NES during the process of being ported to the Game Boy. Notice the graphics, the overworld map (which is Hyrule, not Kohilint), and the sprites.

Er yeah, he doesn't say it's from NP, and nowhere in the magazine does it say it's a port from an NES game...and those sprites are the same in the final game, I'm not sure what this douchebag is wanting us to "notice". This is not true, period. At best it's a pirated, tweaked/modified copy of Zelda 1. Keep the faith alive, though.

koam

jett said:
Er yeah, he doesn't say it's from NP, and nowhere in the magazine does it say it's a port from an NES game...and those sprites are the same in the final game, I'm not sure what this douchebag is wanting us to "notice". This is not true, period. At best it's a pirated, tweaked/modified copy of Zelda 1. Keep the faith alive, though.

That's because you didn't read the whole story:

http://www.ratedo.com/articles/z3proto.html

Read the article on that link in order. He mentions it's from Nintendo power and he says that the pics in that scan, are basically the NES Z3 ported to GB. Not sure how this is asupposed to be "proof" though.

vitaflo

Juice said:

Bingo. It wouldn't have been on an NES cart if it existed at all. In fact, if it was really that early and that secret, it's entirely possible it had no cart shell at all.

I was reviewing games at this time (1990), and never heard a peep about it when talking with Nintendo. Not even so much as a hint from them about this. Elaborate hoax if you ask me.

silver

Banned
vitaflo said:
Bingo. It wouldn't have been on an NES cart if it existed at all. In fact, if it was really that early and that secret, it's entirely possible it had no cart shell at all.

Why wouldn't it be on an NES cart? Isn't it possible that the US Mario Club was testing it?

[Nintex]

Nintendo is king at keeping secrets.
No one had any idea what the Revolution controller was like.
Heck they could launch the thing tommorow without anyone knowing.

This NES cart could be real ,I hope he shows some more screenshots.

Emotions

Too bad i wish it was true , i would love for it to be released someday along with that Super Mario wacky worlds or something forgot the exact name that was in the works for the CDi then later canned.

Lee N

Membre
Incidentally the title screen looks alot like the one for Links Awakening on GBC.. even the resolution seems to be closer to GameBoy than the NES, allthough it's hard to say since it's so blurry. Either way, there's a good chance that this is nothing but a big hoax.

There's also the possibility that this is an unlicensed asian version of Zelda, some of them were quite elaborate. Anyone remember that thai port of Phantasy Star IV for NES?

I do remember Miyamoto talking about NES Zelda III in an interview a long time ago. He didn't really say anything about it, other than it was canned in favor of A Link To The Past. So there was a NES Zelda III in development, but who knows if this guy actually has it.

xexex

Banned
the first I ever heard of Zelda III was in summer 1989 for the Super Famicom, along with Super Mario Bros 4. it was printed in EGM.

'Zelda III' became Zelda: A Link To The Past and SMB4 was Super Mario World.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is the first time I've heard of it too. But then again I never kept up with gaming news until I got back to gaming during the PSX/N64 era. (Yes I skipped the "best" era of gaming).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
the pic is so obviously GB resolution too.

sigh...as fun as fucking with nintendo fans is, shouldn't we move on to sony or something?!

I don't really see how this is a kind of "Aww, we missed out on classic Zelda" kind of lamentation. If what he's saying is true then Zelda III became the GB Zelda and if what he's saying isn't true then you didn't miss out on anything.

vitaflo

silver said:
Why wouldn't it be on an NES cart? Isn't it possible that the US Mario Club was testing it?

Not likely, not if it's as early in production as these texts claim it to be. If the game was in English it would have already had to be done, and from the sound of it, it wasn't. I could see if the game was in Japanese and on a Famicom cart (or no cart at all) but it's just not adding up here.

FWIW, I remember having converstations with Nintendo about A Link to the Past well before it came out. They never once mentioned Zelda III on NES. I never got the impression from them it was ever in dev for NES, though I never had reason to ask either.

Someone also said it looks like GB res on a TV, and they're right, it sorta does. Best bet it's a modified Zelda GB game, or even just a modifies screenshot of the title, sans game.

radcliff

I call fake. Zelda III in Japan is called "Triforce of the Gods." The trilogy (Zelda 1-3) is called "The Triforce Saga," not Part III

Ferny84

Banned
Anyone remember that Dorito (I think) contest where you would get one piece of a puzzle and you had to combine it with another to win the price that was on it?

:(

I wanted LttP so badly...

gblues

Banned
The reason the Gameboy pics look like they might've been taken from a TV is that they probably were--using the old WideBoy technology. Remember, this is from like a 1993 issue of Nintendo Power, before emulators were available.

But yeah, this smells like a hoax.

Nathan

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ah... his copy is "no longer functional" -- what a pity.

Now, hypothetically, that is possible -- the NES Earthbound proto was set to become unplayable if you went to the wrong places, right? Theft protection, or something like that... but this just seems too bizarre. I suppose it's possible that NOA was working on their own sequel to Zelda, but that seems really unlikely.

The only other possibility of this being -real- (which I don't believe for a second) is if those Star Tropics games started off as being Zelda titles, then they changed direction. Star Tropics never got a Japanese release, and the game feels/looks a bit like a Zelda type of game...

Ecrofirt

DavidDayton said:
Ah... his copy is "no longer functional" -- what a pity.

Now, hypothetically, that is possible -- the NES Earthbound proto was set to become unplayable if you went to the wrong places, right? Theft protection, or something like that... but this just seems too bizarre.

What? Do you have more info on this?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Biggest giveaway is the logo. That didn't exist before Link to the Past. For Link to the Past Nintendo created a cool airbrushed logo with a hugely detailed shield and cracked stone letters. However, this logo was apparently too complex to be printed in small sizes on the box side, so Nintendo had to create a line art version of the logo, which then eventually was used on GB title screen in Link's Awakening and as the main logo art for Oracles. However, it was not used in screen format back in the days of Link to the Past - see the game's title screen.

koam

This guy is still at it. Almost 100% confirmed fake but its nice to see him dig his own grave on this:

UPDATE 4: I found some fake images from another site that I'd like for you to see. I'll explain what each picture is below it. Here they are:

Keep in mind this image is FAKE. I'm showing you this image because this is a lot like what the villages looked like. The character sprites are not the same as the ones that were used in the game, nor are the houses and stuff, but this is how the villages were set up. Once again, this image is FAKE.

Keep in mind this image is FAKE. I'm showing you this image because it's how the dungeons (sorta) looked. Those closesly resemble the dungeon walls used in one of the dungeons in the Zelda III NES Proto. The character sprites used were not the ones seen in this image. Once again, this image is FAKE.
z3pshot2.gif

z3pshot1.gif

UPDATE 5: Well, it seems a lot of forums are talking about the cart that was for sale on eBay and are linking to this article to get more info on it. Well, as I said before this game DOES exist. I'll say it one more time for those that simply don't want to believe. This game does exist. Here's what Nintendo had to say about the proto: (I didn't email Nintendo, some other guy who was curios about the proto did. this is the answer he recieved)

Message(#6851-000468-6491\4686491)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It's hard to determine whether or not the game pak is authentic. However, based on my opinion, it doesn't sound authentic since all we see is just one screen shot of the intro and nothing else.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Dervin Camden

Nintendo pretty much says that the game does exist, but they can't determine wether or not the cart on eBay was real from just the one screenshot shown of the game. Oh and one more thing, for those of you who are just now reading this article and missed the actual auction, I contacted the seller on eBay to inform him of what his game really was. I told him almost everything that was put in this article. I was even bidding on the game, which is how several other people got in contact with me and made me decide to write this article to inform anyone who's curious of this game. This is just a proto of Link's Awakening. A lot of games are created on one system and then moved to another. Does that mean that the work they did on the old system doesn't exist? No, just that it moved to another platform. I'm not trying to fool, scam, or rip off anyone, or get attention from this either. I'm just trying to inform those who were curios about the auction was to what the Zelda III NES Proto really is. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
How does that confirm that Nintendo claims NES Zelda III is real?

Trust me, this isn't something a 2005 NoA customer service grunt would even know about.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Mejilan said:
Trust me, this isn't something a 2005 NoA customer service grunt would even know about.

haha, much less comment on. As if anyone at nintendo is going to act like they give a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom