• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4 Edition same as the Xbox 360 Edition

Bundy

Banned
4J Studios confirms that Minecraft PS4 edition will be the same as the Xbox 360 version.

We've not yet heard much about the PS4 edition of Minecraft since Sony confirmed that it would be coming to PS4.

However, 4J Studios, who are responsible for the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft, as well as the upcoming PS4 and Xbox One editions, has provided a little more detail via twitter.

In response to a fan query as to which edition the PS4 version of Minecraft would launch with, the studio confirmed that the "underlying game code will be the same" across all consoles.

4J Studios also said that the PS4 edition of Minecraft will launch with at least the Xbox 360's title update 13 equivalent.

Given that 4J Studios are saying that the versions will be the same across all consoles, you should also expect the PS Vita and Xbox One versions of Minecraft to launch with title update 13.

Link:

Seanspeed

Banned
Will upset some people, but this was really the only reasonable expectation. I think its actually quite good they're able to have equivalency across so many platforms.

Does the Xbox 1 version not have more stuff in it or something? If I was Sony I would smack these fools. Get these store bought cookies out of my face!

Gestault

With the continued updates to the 360 version, I don't think this would make a meaningful difference for those actually interested in playing the game. Fun is fun. $20 or less, and I'll be in.

I hope they don't do the same limited world. Would be a massive waste, as the ps4's ram could easily due the unlimited world of the PC version.

Zee-Row

Banned
What is the difference? What can the Xbox One version do over the PS4 version? Mods would be the only game changer to me.

Does the Xbox 1 version not have more stuff in it or something? If I was Sony I would smack these fools. Get these store bought cookies out of my face!
What is the difference? What can the Xbox One version do over the PS4 version? Mods would be the only game changer to me.

Xbox One version has unlimited worlds.
So if PS4 really is the same build as Xbox 360, 3we at least know that there are going to be some differences.

RoyalFool

Banned
With the frequency of updates it's little surprise they are getting the consoles to share the same code-base, but don't be mistaken into thinking that means they'll all be the same - I'm sure they'll have plenty of console specific flags in the code to make the most out of the extra horse power the next-gen systems have.

libregkd

Here's a question. The Xbox One Edition of Minecraft isn't even coming out this year, so do you think it would be possible to update the PS4 version to have parity with the XB1 version once the XB1 version is released?

Krakn3Dfx

Can't believe they would mean limiting the world size on the PS4, seeing that the issue was due to memory limitations on the 360.

Sketchy confirmation seems sketchy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's kind of disappointing.

ikyJVkSFt9C8Q.png

Seanspeed

Banned
Never played Minecraft.

What do you guys think? Good launch experience for a newbie?
My first experience with Minecraft was on the 360 and I loved it. Its not a game for everyone, though.

As far this specific version goes, if you don't have a PC that can run it or don't like gaming on the PC, its a perfectly viable alternative.

Minions

Shouldn't the title be; Console versions of Minecraft all based on Xbox360 version ; It's not just the PS4 version.
In response to a fan query as to which edition the PS4 version of Minecraft would launch with, the studio confirmed that the "underlying game code will be the same" across all consoles.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can't believe they would mean limiting the world size on the PS4, seeing that the issue was due to memory limitations on the 360.

Sketchy confirmation seems sketchy.
Perhaps, but 4J Studios is not a big team. It would probably be quite an undertaking for them to make unique versions for all the platforms.

Krakn3Dfx

"The underlying game code will be the same version across all consoles, so at least Xbox 360's TU13 equivalent"

Sounds to me like all versions will be the same. I dunno that people can read any more into this than that at this point.

Shouldn't the title be; Console versions of Minecraft all based on Xbox360 version ; It's not just the PS4 version.

Exactly. I think people are freaking out over a whole lot of nothing. We essentially don't know any more or any less than we knew before.

Chobel

If Xbox One version is the same as the other versions, then why isn't Minecraft a launch title for Xbox One?

WTF 4J studios?

Tobor

According to the article, the Xbox One version is the same also:

Given that 4J Studios are saying that the versions will be the same across all consoles, you should also expect the PS Vita and Xbox One versions of Minecraft to launch with title update 13.

Caayn

"The underlying game code will be the same version across all consoles, so at least Xbox 360's TU13 equivalent"

Sounds to me like all versions will be the same. I dunno that people can read any more into this than that at this point.
Was thinking the same when I read the OP. The title is misleading.

Top Bottom