• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 "You'll never see the same zombie twice,"

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...edurally-generated-zombies-handcrafted-world/

In order to achieve a more lifelike world, Capcom has also introduced procedurally generated zombies.

"You'll never see the same zombie twice," Jones said.

"It's all procedurally generated: hair styles, clothing, colours, textures. And the gore is too: missing jaws, missing eyes... it's all totally dynamic. That's a whole system that we built. We didn't just model the zombies, we had to model the pieces and the system puts them together."

For example, while texture reuse in previous Dead Rising games was common, the open world in Dead Rising 3 is completely handcrafted.

"You're looking at more custom work and less reuse," Jones said. "We're not using the same textures over and over again, nor are we using the same geometry over and again. Every building and every interior in Dead Rising 3 is hand made and hand crafted. You'll never see the same building twice."

I like a good challenge. But really, if it works well that's super neat.

If nothing else it's nice that they've hand crafted the world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Don't really care about the different zombies

Do care about the unique interiors of buildings though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That's awesome. I wish more games did this. I was in the beta for Ascend: Hand of Kuhl and I got bored from facing the same enemies over and over again.

Artorias

Banned
I give it about 10 minutes before you see an instance of identical zombies in the same room lunging at you with the same animation.

Reminds me of Dead Rush, a cancelled open-world last gen game focused on -- you guessed it -- zombies. It also had randomly generated undead so you'd apparently never (or rarely) see two of the same zombies. It looked like it could have been fun and Dead Rising 3 kind of reminds me of it in a lot of ways.

ref

That's actually pretty cool.

To be honest though, seeing the same zombie models never really bothered me in DR1 or DR2.

malfcn

The system may not be perfect, but sounds cool. Having more 5 zombies will be great. Running through crowds was silly seeing a dozen pockets of X, Y and Z models.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice.

This is something that any open world game could benefit from next gen.

GTAVI, Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 4, etc.

watershed

Banned
I am doubtful, not of the tech but of how noticeable the variation will be. I think it will be like "here's the guy I killed earlier but with a red sweater on this time!"

Mr.Fresh

This ladies an gentleman is how you set yourself up for failure.

Someone somewhere will make sure they find it just to prove them wrong.

red731

Let the duplicate zombie witch hunt begin - when it's out
KuGsj.gif

Cels

seamless open world and procedurally generated (and therefore unique) zombies?
sounds neat.

one unintentionally comedic thing i found as i played through RE5 was that i kept encountering a zombie that looked like saddam hussein.

Saddam6--article_image.jpg

Saddam2--article_image.jpg

Saddam5--article_image.jpg

ref

sounds neat.

one unintentionally comedic thing i found as i played through RE5 was that i kept encountering a zombie that looked like saddam hussein.

That gaze he has is horrifying.

Reminds me of Dead Rush, a cancelled open-world last gen game focused on -- you guessed it -- zombies. It also had randomly generated undead so you'd apparently never (or rarely) see two of the same zombies. It looked like it could have been fun and Dead Rising 3 kind of reminds me of it in a lot of ways.

Consider Dead Rush only really had a few zeds on screen at any one time, that would have been relatively easy to pull off, not to mention the game took place at night and that allowed some more wiggle room.

Anyway, not sure I believe this. The footage clearly shows that some building interiors do look somewhat similar and while I won't be freezing individual frames to see if zeds are repeated (I'd hope no-one is sad enough to do this...), I think it's unavoidable that they'll repeat considering the sheer size and scale of the hordes.

Chobel

sounds neat.

HAHAHAHAH!!!

Gazoinks

I'm honestly surprised procedurally generated enemy variation isn't already much of a thing. It seems like it should've been something someone came up with over the last generation at some point.

I don't see how this could hold. Eventually you just run out of combinations. I also don't believe they would dedicate the resources to ensuring this statement is true when they could spend it on something more important.

Never see the same building twice? I guess if one is red and the other blue, technically they are unique right? We shall see...

This ladies an gentleman is how you set yourself up for failure.

Someone somewhere will make sure they find it just to prove them wrong.

Oh, the horror if someone happens to find a duplicate! I'm just happy this means there's plenty of variation, and that is important.

With the sheer amount of zombies onscreen I would imagine they would blow through the variations quicker than expected.

Still I expect the variations will help keep it fresh regardless!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, Saddamzie... yeah, he was a special case back then. That's... even what I called him when I saw him.

Open world, as in you can move around the whole city? Also, does it have online co-op?

That's e idea. Enter every building, go anywhere you can get to, etc.

Yes, it has online Co-Op. The Co-Op character is a unique Terry Bogard-lookin' character. You also get to keep your progress from playing online; you won't have to re-do missions you've cleared with buddies in your own game, unless you want to.

Top Bottom