• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: PlayStation 3 breaks Xbox 360's 32-month winning streak in the US

Banana Daiquiris.

Seriously, credit to Sony and their GTA5 and TLoU bundle. It was incredible value and I'm not surprised it saw them finally outsell the 360. It's good to see that fire back in Sony's eyes...

Banana Daiquiris.

Seriously, credit to Sony and their GTA5 and TLoU bundle. It was incredible value and I'm not surprised it saw them finally outsell the 360. It's good to see that fire back in Sony's eyes...
Yeah I heard people around here say it wouldn't make much of a difference this late in the generation. Hope MS prepares some spin. Sony should announce the GT6 bundle soon.

edit. Kind of shocked by Diablo 3 hitting #4.

StuBurns

Banned
I knew 360 was winning over there, but damn, 32 months? That's bigger news to me than Sony disrupting it. Very impressive.

It was only a matter of time. Excellent news.

I don't think it was assured at all.

I think they had to tie up a huge title like GTA 5 and make it cracking value bundle like they did.

The had to work for it and have done so.

it's good because MS have to respond now.

216,000 PS3 consoles (a lot due to the exclusive PS3 bundle) were sold vs. 178,000 Xbox 360 consoles.

That's a 38K difference!

Yeah I heard people around here say it wouldn't make much of a difference this late in the generation. Hope MS prepares some spin. Sony should announce the GT6 bundle soon.

No need for spin. Pretty sure Major Nelson has already congratulated them on this months sales.

Yeah, a GT6, TLoU and Puppeteer (download) bundle would be Godly. Do it, Sony. If only for the extra Puppeteer sales.

zeopower6

I knew 360 was winning over there, but damn, 32 months? That's bigger news to me than Sony disrupting it. Very impressive.

360 just has had a stranglehold on the US. If the PS3 ever came close, it was slightly edged out by the 360 T_T~

Good to see that the PS3 was able to overcome it!

216,000 PS3 consoles (a lot due to the exclusive PS3 bundle) were sold vs. 178,000 Xbox 360 consoles.

That's a 38K difference!

exactly.

we were seeing 1 million differences during boom time for the ps2.

reckon ps4 will do that?

I guess it could if they dominate once again as looks most likely?

so do you all reckon that's it now going forward, they've overcome it and will outsell 360 every month for good?

Guerilla

Hasn't it become #2 worldwide too the last few months? It's only good news for Sony lately. (well, except DriveClub).

lupinko

So Playstation has pulled off what the WWF did to the WCW during the Monday Night Wars?

I guess Xbone initial drm plans embodied the fingerpoke of doom, and the 180 is WCW under Russo.

Hasn't it become #2 worldwide too the last few months? It's only good news for Sony lately. (well, except DriveClub).

PS3 (+ 1 year of PS2 sales) - 81.5 million as of June 30th, 2013
Estimates (PS3 only): 78 million as of March 31st, 2013.

360 - 78.2 million as of June 30th, 2013
360 - 80 million as of October 17th, 2013

It's most likely surpassed the 360, but we don't know for sure.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
"Sony always wins baby" - Prophet Warden

ibkK2UjYsGcAO9.gif

With a year head start, MS managed to secure the 3rd position of the 3 big home console manufacturers. I really can't understand why people say the the 360 won this generation.
Regardless, they've improved sales and brand strength over the original Xbox.

Sony really took a lot to catch up and the blame is on them for not having the best development tools, which made many developers choose the 360 as the default platform to develop for, but from a sales standpoint, MS came in last

GorillaJu

I wonder if this is because the PlayStation name, as a brand, is starting to reap the benefits of all the positive buzz after the PS4 reveal.

PS3 (+ 1 year of PS2 sales) - 81.5 million as of June 31st, 2013
Estimates (PS3 only): 78 million as of March 31st, 2013.

360 - 78.2 million as of June 31st, 2013
360 - 80 million as of October 17th, 2013

It's most likely surpassed the 360, but we don't know for sure.

pretty amazing to have a split market like that so late in the gen. I honestly though it would pass it years ago.

just cannot see this happening again with the momentum , mindshare, marketing dominance sony has once again with ps4.

cebri.one

What is quite amazing is despite all the problems PS3 had, it could actually become the best selling console of this gen. It's still 20 million units behind the Wii, but another pair of years and a good pricecut could do.

With a year head start, MS managed to secure the 3rd position of the 3 big home console manufacturers. I really can't understand why people say the the 360 won this generation.

Sony really took a lot to catch up and the blame is on them for not having the best development tools, which made many developers choose the 360 as the default platform to develop for, but from a sales standpoint, MS came in last

MS definately won and sony lost... But not compared between them... Even with rrod fiasco, 1 year headstart and cheaper price gained them lot in term of sales. Expensive ass ps3 lost a lot because of its price. PS3 recorvered really well though.

Ultimately it is Wii>Ps3=X360

That´s winning. Stealing market share from their competitors and raising their own market share, and mind share as well.

I didn't think PS3 would ever beat 360 monthly sales numbers again in the US.
Impressive, but MS sales over the last 32 month really should be commended.

Should be interesting how next gen pans out.

Dabanton

I wonder if this is because the PlayStation name, as a brand, is starting to reap the benefits of all the positive buzz after the PS4 reveal.

Probably more the bundle they were offering was pretty damm good.

I wonder if this was part of the LA Noire deal as every GTAV ad I saw had PS3 all over it.

DBT85

MS definately won and sony lost... But not compared between them... Even with rrod fiasco, 1 year headstart and cheaper price gained them lot in term of sales. Expensive ass ps3 lost a lot because of its price. PS3 recorvered really well though.

Ultimately it is Wii>Ps3=X360

I have to agree. While the PS3 and 360 might be at a parallel in terms of units sold, Sony is the only loser from this generation, and all of the reasons were of their own making.

The Wii sold like crazy so Nintendo are well happy, the 360 was a marked improvement over the Xbox and it stamped the brand name firmly in the mind of a lot of gamers which is exactly what MS wanted, even if it has cost them over the years.

Sony on the other hand have managed to pull it back which is not where they expected to be or would have wanted to be in 2005. It's a testament to the brands strength and the huge changes they've made in the last 8 years that they are where they are today. But it was a result of that strength and domination that made them think they could get away with it in the first place.

Imagine if the PS3/360 positions were swapped. Xbox as a brand would be dead and probably canned years ago.

The Xbone isn't going to suffer like the PS3 did. While it might be down on power it's still not an utter bastard to code for, and it's arriving at the same time even if it's a higher price. They've struggled with mindshare, conveying the point of the system, etc. It will be a test of the brands strength, and the divisions ability to turn the ship around. But they don't have half the problems Sony had with the PS3.

mekes

Banana Daiquiris.

It is a bloody good bundle, I have to say if I didn't own a PS3 I would have been sorely tempted by that. The Vita also has some great deals going at the moment, in the UK at least, likely in the US too. Makes my Vita purchase from 3-4 months back look like a rip-off! I hope people are buying Vita's too.

Goldmund

Off-topic: Why is everything about winning or losing/failing? It's like nothing can enter the discourse of US Americans without being pulverized in needless competition. I find that culture vaguely repulsive. As if every interaction were a conflict at whose end the dreaded "you fail" is looming for one party.

Top Bottom