• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Arnt no longer writing Star Wars VII - now Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Variety has a story now:

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties on “Star Wars: Episode VII,” replacing Michael Arndt, who was originally penning the project.

“I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a ‘Star Wars’ story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production.”

Disney and Lucasfilm released the news on StarWars.com.

Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

also:

----
Via Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter on Twitter. I'll post a link to an article once it exists.

breaking Star Wars news: Michael Arnt is no longer writing the script for Ep. 7 Now it's Lawrence Kasdan and JJ.

Oops, missed the d in Arndt :lol

Busty

Banned
There have been industry rumours for months and months saying this is a disaster just waiting to happen and I've been vocal about my disinterest in this project but this is pretty massive.

For them to start from scratch this late in the game (when they have already been doing intense pre production work and some even say early test shoots at locations) this just seems a bizarre and desperate move.

We don't know the timing for sure but rumours that Abrams hasn't been happy have been swirling for ages. I wonder how he feels about this labour of love now?

Also fun fact, as well as writing Empire Strikes Back Lawrence Kasdan did an early draft of Robotech for Waner Bros.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Didn't they try to tell us that the script was a done deal?

CMDBob

you guys know kasdan co-wrote empire strikes back, right?

That's what I was thinking! If JJ can inject good character and energy and Kasdan can keep the plot on rails, then we have a winner, I'd say. Can't be worse than the prequals.

arab

Let Michael Are write it then.

e5a4_bazinga_hoodie.jpg

my expectations for this movie are low. disney pls do star wars some sweet justice

This is disappointing news to me. Toy Story 3 was fantastic, and I was looking forward to seeing what Arndt would do with Star Wars.
btw, I think JJ Abrams is my biggest concern with this movie. I found the action scenes in the new Star Trek movies to be nearly unwatchable. Shots rarely last more than 2 seconds and the camera is always shaking. It's like he thinks that people will get bored if they could actually comprehend what they're seeing. Say what you will about George Lucas, but at least his action scenes were fun, even though they sometimes looked like overly choreographed dances in the prequels.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In 4 months there will be news that Kasdan is out and Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof are coming aboard.

This is disappointing news to me. Toy Story 3 was fantastic, and I was looking forward to seeing what Arndt would do with Star Wars.
btw, I think JJ Abrams is my biggest concern with this movie. I found the action scenes in the new Star Trek movies to be nearly unwatchable. Shots rarely last more than 2 seconds and the camera is always shaking. It's like he thinks that people will get bored if they could actually comprehend what they're seeing. Say what you will about George Lucas, but at least his action scenes were fun, even though they sometimes looked like overly choreographed dances in the prequels.

Pretty much how I feel. Abrams does not bolster my confidence in this film. I'm not a fan of the new Star Treks either.

In 4 months there will be news that Kasdan is out and Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof are coming aboard.

vaderno.jpg

ToxicAdam

As much as I respect Kasdan's work on ESB, he is also 64 years old. It's really rare for people to deliver remarkable work when they get to that advanced of an age. Maybe he's just being brought in to tighten up some trouble spots.

andycapps

As much as I respect Kasdan's work on ESB, he is also 64 years old. It's really rare for people to deliver remarkable work when they get to that advanced of an age. Maybe he's just being brought in to tighten up some trouble spots.

Maybe he'll use the rough framework that Arnt had and fix it to how Abrams and Kennedy want it.

Scripts get rewritten all the time, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Especially with Abrams at the helm, it was a given that he was would to be very involved with the screen play. I wouldn't be surprised if this happend a long time ago but we're just now hearing about it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I genuinely wouldn't be shocked to hear such a development at this point.

I've been predicting from the start that Abrams would muscle his way into controlling the script, so I'm entirely unsurprised by this, and yeah, I'm not even joking about expecting more changes to come.

Good thing I gave up on having any hope in this a long time ago.

bro1

Banned
You think 64 is old, especially for a writer?

I heard the Abrams didnt like the fact that the story revolved around the main protagonist losing his closest friends and his quest to find them.

;)

Alice Munro just won a Nobel Prize for a recent novel she did. She's 80.

This is going to be one of those movies that everyone has to mention the torturous development of before they do their reviews, isn't it. It'll be used as the main reason the film turned out so poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom