• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

GG said they would lock it at 30 FPS, but I guess they decided against it.
wL5mrHs.jpg

Thoughts? Very strange no?

Minimum FPS = 30
Max FPS = 60
With V-sync of course

S1kkZ

its fucking stupid. at least give me the option to lock it to 30 and play without the fucking stutter. same for knack.

Man

Worth noting in the op that it runs above 30fps.

But yes, lock it to 30 or 60 dear developers (use dynamic scaling if you have to). Don't do variables until HDMI 3.0 with G-Sync capabilities is out or something.

iceatcs

Oh nice, I thought you mean going to under.

Unlocked from 30fps sound good enough for me, I won't mind for 35fps than lock at 30fps.

suedester

Banned
Well the dev says it runs above 30 and is a better experience and they've actually played it. I will go with them rather than the arm chair experts on this one.

Sethos

Banned
45-60, okay. 30-40 or even 30-35, nah, lock it down to 30.

No, it's not okay. A variable frame-rate is hell, you either lock it at 30 or 60 and keep it there. With a variable you get this weird juddering when it goes up and down, plus increased tearing.

christ, just lock it. why would you unlock your framerate? it looks like ass unless it's consistently above like, 45 or so.

iceatcs

No, it's not okay. A variable frame-rate is hell, you either lock it at 30 or 60 and keep it there. With a variable you get this weird juddering when it goes up and down, plus increased tearing.

I'm sure they have worked out otherwise they won't have use it first place.

Binabik15

No, it's not okay. A variable frame-rate is hell, you either lock it at 30 or 60 and keep it there.

All my pc games drop from 60. What recent games could maintain solid min 60 without setting everything to medium and having a monster CPU?

Krilekk

Banned
GG said they would lock it at 30 FPS, but I guess they decided against it.
view.php

Thoughts? Very strange no?

Unlocked framerate looks worse than locked 30 fps. It gives the impression of constant slowdowns. They probably do it for less laggy controls but damn that's gonna be bad for the eyes.

Yea I hate that judder. God of War 3 was smooth though.

Sethos

Banned
I'm sure they have worked out otherwise they won't have use it first place.

Worked out? They added Gsync to your TV? They solved one of the core problems in gaming? Lots of unlocked games stutter or feel juddery, point in case as someone mentioned above; GoW.

All my pc games drop from 60. What recent games could maintain solid min 60 without setting everything to medium and having a monster CPU?

So basically you want to set games at settings your PC can't handle and have them run 60?

A lot of games actually can with proper GPU hardware.

Them unlocking the framerate is actually a good thing for playability. I can imagine the decision to do so was probably because they rarely if ever dropped below 30, and because the game has a rather stable framerate in SP.

Digital Foundry had a long look at the game and came away very impressed if their Twitter is anything to go by, so their test will be an interesting read. Some of their tweets.

@Xater_ It's the tech showcase you would expect from GG - and much more.

@warpkid Me too. Brain still struggling to sort through all the detail. Many, many great features and tech surprises.

People will bitch of course, but all signs point to a (technically) stunning launch game.

Am I the only one here who isn't able to discern between frame rates? 30 fps, 60 fps. These are just numbers to me

You most likely would if you saw them side by side or in close instances. You probably never cared enough about the differences until you came to this site.

I didn't for a while.

iceatcs

Worked out? They added Gsync to your TV? They solved one of the core problems in gaming? Lots of unlocked games stutter or feel juddery, point in case as someone mentioned above; GoW.

GG is serious devs, they are FPS devs. they will see the problem.

But it is in the game, so they must have solved it or surprise bad choice.

wizzbang

Banned
I wouldn't even care if it's 23.97 as long as it's consistent (or incredibly close to it) - not a fan of inconsistent frame rates. Couldn't care less about 60 (for SP games)

commedieu

Banned
Yes and it sucks. Crysis 3 dropped so much that I locked it to 30 fps.

in what world are you missing your settings soo terribly (PC) that you are noticing a visual drop and stuttering in framerate, that you lock it to 30? Unless C3 is a one off, usually your settings do at least 30, then 30-35 depending on the load to the gpu...

But its rarely like.. 25-30 or 18-30... unless your settings are too high for your computer. Most benchmark videos/fraps captures do have variable framerates... the game runs fine usually, and super fast when theres less shit on the screen, but its not like a instant gear change while playing.

Weird.

Top Bottom