• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
Update: Yoshida chimes in -
twitteryospthanksforthioqh.jpg

update 2:
TA5W5JB.png

original post:

M77zqBK.png

1 year of music unlimited - 59,99$ (41,99$ for ps+ members)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Mr.Speedy

Banned
This also stood out to me:

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

Midas

Hopefully Sony will understand that people won't subscribe just because they want the feature, and later add the possibility to play your MP3's. Or Spotify streaming. They do seem to understand, these days, that things like that only serves them well in the end, so it's a bit weird that they've gone this route.

Waaghals

What in the actual fuck?

I can understand no Audio CD support, but no MP3 support?

Yeah, okay, they just have to get right on that then.

I hope this will get sorted out later with a firmware update.

I'm not interested in any streaming services, not saying Sony Music Unlimited is bad, i tried it and it's a very good service, it's just not for me.

TheFatOne

Where is this from? And if this is true it's absolute horseshit. This should be a standard feature. Makes no fucking sense to do this. I don't want to sign up for your shitty ass streaming solution.

Edit: Didn't see the other thread so this is from their offiicial FAQ. Such bullshit.

madmackem

That is truely fucked up, do we know if xboxone allows this?. Its a feature that alot of people are going to be pissed about.

dubq

I don't know, really. This doesn't seem like a feature I would ever use. Like if I'm playing an atmospheric game like Last of Us, why would I want my own music blaring in the background? Or if I want to hear my own music when playing something less immersive (ie: Call of Duty) I could always just turn on my own stereo...

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
This cannot possibly be true, we have to missing something here, I have been using this feature heavily since OGXBox

I don't really ever play games except with the in-game music, but hopefully this'll change down the line. I feel my decision not to buy any launch consoles being reaffirmed.

This is ... really odd, and if true quite disappointing. I mean it's not necessary, I have a console to play video games and that's basically it...but really guys? It isn't enough to get all butthurt and PREORDER CANCELLED but it just feels like a totally unnecessary misstep for sony.

Any details on what features the PS4 MU music player has? Speedy fast forward/rewind? The PS3 music playback option were shit for mp3s that were very long. Fast forwarding was a nightmare. If we can use the analog sticks or the trackpad to zip through long files that will be great. If it doesn't feature a versatile fast forward/rewind feature this is dead on arrival for me. Otherwise I'll try it for a year.

I knew about Music Unlimited being able to be streamed in the background but I didn't know you couldn't play MP3s and that there was no visualizer... that is ridiculous.

Seems like a way for them to force Music Unlimited down your throat. Not a cool move.

tranciful

I don't keep up with mp3s so it's not a big deal to me, but there's no chance I'll be bullied into switching from Spotify.

Putting more features behind a paywall. First online gaming, now this.

I don't know, really. This doesn't seem like a feature I would ever use. Like if I'm playing an atmospheric game like Last of Us, why would I want my own music blaring in the background? Or if I want to hear my own music when playing something less immersive (ie: Call of Duty) I could always just turn on my own stereo...

Obviously for a game like Last of us, no. But certain games this feature is useful. Example for this gen is Forza Horizon. A great way not to deal with the dub step pop music.

JerC

Really strange. What kind of things would developers restrict? Maybe something with gore/nudity?

Cut scenes. I thought it was already known that they wouldn't allow you to record certain parts?

Also I hope Sony does the same deal this Christmas where I can get a year of Music Unlimited for €12. Then this will be worth it. Otherwise, no music while playing. Probably wont stream music anyway since I hate that feature.

That fucking sucks. There's no excuse for that, Sony.

Guess I'll have to play my own music through my receiver, and game sound through the TV speakers. Which is a hassle and then game sound won't be as good.

Gritesh

Since I'll never subscribe to music unlimited does it face the same sort of licensing restrictions in countries outside the US like other services do?

Either way this is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom