• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: Stick of Truth "Giggling Donkey" gameplay [7 minutes]

Mindlog

I'm already in. A little disappointed we won't be able to play it next month, but hoping it's a sign that Ubisoft really cares about the product they're putting out. I hope it pays off big for everybody involved. South Park Studios has clearly put some effort into this after a long line of lackluster licenses. Obsidian is getting the chance to prove their mettle when working with partners who appreciate the talent. Ubisoft has a nice big name product on their hands that matches their trans-media philosophy created outside of the assembly line they've set up for their big internal titles.

Because I would pay blood for,
QZpNLEp.gif

Um it actually was the publisher though, they control the release of the game.

Lucasarts- Had agreed to give Obsidian an extension past holiday 2004 for Kotor 2, then out of nowhere cancelled that agreement and forced Obsidian to ship in Dec. 2004 (roughly a year after kotor 1 by the way). This resulted in the infamous "unfinished" ending and a lot of cut content that was planned for release thanks to the delay they were promised being pulled.

Sega- Out of nowhere they stopped funding Alpha Protocol once it was near completion and yet still delayed the game simply because they didn't like the original release date. The game went something like 7 months just sitting there not being improved or bug tested at all until it released in June 2010. Obsidian does share blame and they've admitted that they wasted a lot of time at the start of development not knowing how they wanted to make the game, but once they had settled in it was on Sega.

Zenimax/Bethesda- They were supposed to handle QA for New Vegas as most publishers do but seeing the state the game was in you'd wonder if they actually did anything to it. Plus it was made and released in only a year. Think about that, a full HD next gen open world game with the writing depth and deep RPG systems NV had...made and released in only 1 year. It's inconceivable nowadays. The game could have been delayed to work on bugs more but Zenimax chose not to do that.

Obsidian can only do so much as an independent developer who relies on the contracts they sign. Yeah they have had some time management issues in the past but many of the problems they've run into have been publisher related, stuff way out of their control. Now they've dealt with THQ dying and they're dealing with Matt and Trey's relentless perfectionism. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why this game is taking so long. It's not like the actual gameplay and RPG stuff looks really in depth or anything, which is what Obsidian is handling and I've already mentioned how they've released 2 of the best RPGs in recent history in only 1 year of development. So I really doubt all of these delays are on Obsidian.

great post

god just imagining if Obsidian had more time on KOTOR 2. There would had been no debate which KOTOR was better.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had to stop as soon as Jimmy start talking about being a Level 10 Bard and then his stutter. Jimmy is my favorite character by far. Really hope this comes out soon, been delayed for so long now.

Yeah it's terrible, I thought cartoons were for kids. Also clear racism and sexism in it, just terrible.

I'm one for higher moral standards in society... but South Park is the shithole of our media. That's the point. They expose the hypocrisy that accompanies life in this country, in a rude and ridiculous manner. Most people love them for it.

I mean for fuck's sake... the only black person on the show is named "Token".

Rumor has it that the delay is to allow French voiceovers (and finish the game).

Is this true? Spanish voice dubs of the original actors like the THQ traiers had? YES! I wouldn't mind the dealy if its for the getting the european dubs in, and also letting you choose between original english ones.

Looks fantastic, hope it comes to next gen consoles, don't have any current gen consoles anymore...

Oh wait, there's a pc version as well. No problem then.

Wow, I can't believe how much it looks and feels like an actual South Park episode. Definitely will be picking this up day one. With Trey and Matt's considered involvement, I have to imagine this thing is just buried in great jokes and satire. I feel like turned based RPG combat is a good medium for it.

Edit: ITT we uncover people who are unable to detect satire. Not that this clip has much of it, but that has always been what SP is all about and why it has always stood out as one of the few shows doing it and doing it well.

Durante

That looks even better than I expected. And i expected a lot, given that it's an Obsidian game. I just hope it won't be too easy.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I hope the quest for the stick of truth goes along the lines of:

- Spend a long time talking about the stick of truth without showing it to anyone
- Announce where the stick is, then go there and find it has moved
- Go to where the stick was moved to, find its been moved again
- Go to the final location of the stick, reveal the stick is OK but not what we hoped it would be
- Speech about how some times you want things just because they sound cool and really you should think about whether it's actually worth all the effort or not
- Credits

Trickster

That looks so goddamn fun. I love the south park humor, and it's amazing how well they've managed to work it into a game.

Top Bottom