• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dream officially renamed (back) to Index - lol

duckroll

http://sega.jp/corp/release/2013/1101//

Today is Nov 1, the day that all Atlus staff are officially under Sega management. Sega has put out a press release announcing that they are renaming the company from the temporary name "Sega Dream" to "Index", which is the original name of the they bought over.

The President of Index is Naoya Tsurumi, the Vice-President is Yasuhiro Hamada, and curiously enough Toshihiro Nagoshi is one of the company directors.

boinx

So Toshihiro Nagoshi is one of the company directors huh?

Could this be a good sign? The guy is quite ballin after all.

qq more

First time I've heard of Sega Dream

EDIT: Ohhh, I get it now. Index was temporary renamed to Sega Dream and then back to Index?

duckroll

Didn't Sega merge with Sammy? Just wondering where all the Sammy big wigs go.

Sega Dream was a new company created by Sega a few months ago to complete the legal transaction of buying Index Corporation (which contains the game development studio gamers refer to as Atlus, as well as the US publisher Index Digital Media, more commonly referred to as Atlus USA).

Sega Sammy Holdings still owns both Sammy and Sega. Sega owns Sega Dream (now Index). You're confused.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the logic behind naming them Index. You'd think they'd want to push the Atlus name, not the one that reminds everybody of Index and their shady shit.

From the company that changed such names as Smilebit, Hitmaker, Overworks and Amusement Vision to Consumer R&D, Sports Design R&D and AM Software R&D, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

In what universe does the Index name hold some sort of Brand loyalty? lol

Incidentally they'll probably disband Atlus in the process and rename it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Actually, a Yakuza game with S.Links fits the natural evolution of the series really well. With Dead Souls (was that what the Yakuza spin-off with zombies was called?) existing adding demon summoning doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I was reminded of Toaru Majutsu No Index. And now I have a scowling disappointed face. I'll get over.
Already over it.
Index!! Bring Skygunner to the Vita thank you!! When is index going to announce Persona 5 Golden for PS4? Index.

I like it.

L~A

For a second, I was wondering "what's so odd about that?"... then I realised it was Index, not Atlus (the brand). Yeah, really strange decision... At least, SEGA Dream didn't have the stigma Index has. Really dumb move, imo.

Soriku

From the company that changed such names as Smilebit, Hitmaker, Overworks and Amusement Vision to Consumer R&D, Sports Design R&D and AM Software R&D, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Is boring names part of their business? Seems Index fits right in.

AniHawk

I was reminded of Toaru Majutsu No Index. And now I have a scowling disappointed face. I'll get over.
Already over it.
Index!! Bring Skygunner to the Vita thank you!! When is index going to announce Persona 5 Golden for PS4? Index.

I like it.

i am scared, and it's because of your edit comment.

Zabant

Because reminding your customers of the old dodgy company that caused atlus to fail is a GREAT idea

Eusis

I know, right? A chance for a fresh start for branding, and they choose Index over Atlus. Boggles the mind.
Maybe one of the higher ups was really attached to that name for some reason.

Not that anyone outside of them gives the remotest shit about anything but the Atlus name.

Actually, a Yakuza game with S.Links fits the natural evolution of the series really well. With Dead Souls (was that what the Yakuza spin-off with zombies was called?) existing adding demon summoning doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.
Yakuza ishin is supposed to have much more rpg element compared to previous yakuza. And I thinj there are some dungeon crawling with card collecting element to for ishin. :p

duckroll

It's possible Sega just wants the takeover to be as seamless as it can be, since they've now also taken over the old Index website: http://indexweb.jp/

It looks more or less the same, except the information has been changed to reflect that this Index is a new company started up in Sept, owned and run by Sega.

Awww come on man I was getting my hopes up when I read Nagoshi's name.

a Persona game where it features Yakuza instead of high schooler or a Yakuza game where Kiryu and friends summons demons is actually a pretty cool idea. make it so their tattoo are actually their demons etc.

Eusis

It's possible Sega just wants the takeover to be as seamless as it can be, since they've now also taken over the old Index website: http://indexweb.jp/

It looks more or less the same, except the information has been changed to reflect that this Index is a new company started up in Sept, owned and run by Sega.
That makes sense, and it doesn't preclude them from re-renaming anyway. Just look at how Namco Bandai seemingly can't make up their minds on whether to use the Bandai Namco versus discrete Bandai/Namco logos outside of Japan (wish they'd just stick with the latter though, those logos both look nice while the Bandai Namco logo is an awful pair of splotches.)

Dr Dogg

a Persona game where it features Yakuza instead of high schooler or a Yakuza game where Kiryu and friends summons demons is actually a pretty cool idea. make it so their tattoo are actually their demons etc.

This sounds all shades of awesome. Kiryu, Goro and Akiyama in a Persona game? Best thing ever!!! But already killed my hopes Wario and shot this down. To be fair it would never make it to US let alone the Europe. I'm going to go sulk now.

espher

The Persona x Yakuza talk just wants me to see Atlus hook back up with NIS and do Persona x Disgaea as a pure taking-the-piss title.

Top Bottom