• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't know how reliable this site is but here is the article:

We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:

Legacy headset support
Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
Suspend and resume play feature

All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update. Also these details were hinted today when Shuhei Yoshida made a post on twitter stating that he had a discussion with other PlayStation 4 development team members about received feedback. With this news being provided Those these features are a definite step in the right direction. We were still unable to confirm future external hard drive support for media or game data would be supported later on. lastly we’re still waiting to hear if there will be future YouTube support for video sharing. What do you think of this good news do you think Sony still needs more features to claim the living room in this next gen console war? comment below let us know.

http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

And one other Tweet I've not seen:

1376587_10151804945682804_1385326579_n-300x258.jpg

Its good that they have acknowledged it. Like Sony, I too had no idea that people used these features often on Ps3 until it was revealed.

Edit: Speaking toward the yosp tweet. I have no doubts that "Couch jokeyz" is talking out of their ass.

Leonsito

Yoshida tweets don't hint at anything, and that website has like 16 followers in twitter ...

Edit: I mean, mp3 support will appear on PS4 sooner or later because it's a basic thing to put into an update, but come on...

bidguy

Banned
yeah sounds fake
first music unlimited is needed for custom soundtracks and now they want to patch in mp3 background music ? sure

baphomet

Of course it was going to be added. Sony are doing whatever the fans tell them to right now. Want custom background back bad enough? Go tweet to yoshida. It may not be added immediately, but it will get added.

Orbis

Naturally we need a proper source for this, but great news if true.

EDIT: Already confirmed apparently in the other thread; come on guys, can we at least update thread titles and topics with the latest information.

Jburton

Banned
In the other thread Kagari confirmed it, this along side the Shu tweet and the subsequent change to the FAQ is as good a confirmation as I need.

It's happening, the time frame these guys have stated is not confirmed nor has been alluded to.

Also it was always coming according to those in the know, it's just that it was further down the list but due to the uproar it has been pushed forward in priority.

StuBurns

Banned
Crazy that this could turn around so quickly.

Maybe they have use data, know no one uses their PS3s to play music, so just assumed we'd not care?

bidguy

Banned
So your stance is that they will never add it, am I correct?

add what ? mp3 support ? yeah im pretty sure they will patch that in but background music is only for music umlimited subs

unless i see something official im not gonna believe they changed something thats been set in stone

Of course it was going to be added. Sony are doing whatever the fans tell them to right now. Want custom background back bad enough? Go tweet to yoshida. It may not be added immediately, but it will get added.
What if, all these features are already coded and working and SONY just want to roll them out when fans start demanding for them? Then they will look like heroes like they really listen to their fans?

That article looks fake

Symphonia

Banned
I hope this is true. I don't know about you guys but I listen to music through my PS3 a fair bit (surround sound, man, can't beat it) so when Sony announced PS4 had a lack of .MP3 playback, it was a slight kick to the balls. Hope this news turns out to be true.

bebop242

Yea I believe this will happen, but no way did Sony tell anyone or promise anything about it happening in the next update.

Top Bottom