• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan (SCEE): EU XBO delay = more PS4 pre-orders, Gaikai, PS4 profitibility

S¡mon

Banned
RTL News in the Netherlands recently interviewed Jim Ryan from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.
http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/home/hoge-vraag-naar-playstation-4 (interview is in English with Dutch subtitles).

Some interesting stuff:

On the question whether or not the PS4 has sold out yet...
The level of pre-orders is real high. There will be some stock which is not set aside for pre-orders, but you'll have to get up really early or stay up really late, depending on what your habits are, demand is very considerable.

Interviewer asking about webshops saying that they won't be able to deliver PS4s at launch (unless you pre-ordered, like, before August).
Also interesting, Jim Ryan mentions that PS4 pre-orders went up when Microsoft announced that the Xbox One wouldn't launch in the Netherlands this year. (As most of you, hopefully, know, Xbox One does only launch in a few European countries).
Well, like I said, demand is extremely strong. And our plans were made a little bit more complicated when our principal competitor decided that they weren't going to launch [in the Netherlands] before Christmas, so that obviously meant demand for PlayStation 4 increased.

We're doing everything we can to step up, but everytime we try to increase production, the demand goes up.

Interviewer asks whether or not the PS4 is profitable at a pricepoint of €400. Jim Ryan seems to be suggesting that the PS4, at least in Europe, is profitable from the start.
*smiling* That's, uh, top-top-top-secret information, uhm, but what I'd say is that Sony is, uhm, Sony is in difficult times at the moment and PlayStation is one of the pillar businesses that Sony's leader, Kazuo Hirai, has identified as pivotal to sustaining Sony's business, while he regenerates it and restructures.

And therefor it's really important that across our ecosystem that we generate cash and profitability.

The €399 price point, which I'm really thrilled about, allows us to to do that.

Interviewer asking why it is so thrilling to launch the PS4 at a €399-price point.
I launched the PS3 seven years ago at 599 euros. I decided I never want to do that again.

So, to be able to come to market seven years later, 200 euros cheaper, is great. And also to be 100 euros cheaper than our competitor, whenever they come to the Netherlands, that's also great.

Interviewer: "Why do you think the PS4 is better than the Xbox? And not the releasedate and not the price *laughs*"
Well, the releasedate and the price are definitely factors, because we will be in the market before Christmas and they will not. We have a 100 euro price advantage, compared to them. So these are, I think in the content of the Netherlands, the Dutch market and the Dutch gamer, these are important factors, but if you want me to talk about other things, I will, but I'd very much like to focus on the games.

We will have published on the PS4, between November 29 and Christmas, there will be 34 games published. Of which more than half will be available on PS4, but will not appear on Xbox One.

This gaming line-up provides a very strong point of difference.

Interviewer says that, unlike smartphones and tablets, consoles are heavy and not portable. He's wondering why that is and if Sony shouldn't focus on a smaller, more portable console.
It is changing. What we are doing with PS4 is providing something that we call remote play which allows all of the PS4 games to be played remotely on the PS Vita.

[Also,] I wouldn't say the PS4 is big and heavy, I'd say it's light and beautiful, but it's sitting there under the television. So let's say that I start to play a shooting game using output through the television and, let's say, my father comes in and wants to watch Ajax playing football on the television, I can just go into my bedroom and carry on playing that game on my PS Vita.

That's, I think, a really good example of a trend that's starting and will accelerate to take these old, closed, kind of silo types, platforms to make them broader and more open. We think it's a great thing for gamers.

Interviewer asks, since you can play PS4 games on PS Vita, whether or not it is possible that we will also see this happen on tablets, smartphones, PCs, etc.
It's not possible: it's certain. We acquired a company called Gaikai a couple of years ago, which provides a cloud streaming service. Starting next year in North-America and soon to follow in Europe, we will start streaming PlayStation gaming experiences to PlayStation devices, but also to non-PlayStation devices: smartphones, tablets, laptop computers, televisions, blu-ray players.

Will you only stream PlayStation games to Sony tablets/smartphones/TVs/etc.?
No. We will stream to, obviously Sony products, but also the possibility to stream to non-Sony products is definitely on the horizon.

Interviewer asking about the importance of the Dutch market.
One of our most important development studios is located in Holland, Guerilla Games. They have a game, probably the most important game at launch of the PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall. They're great guys, we know them very well.

That game [Killzone: Shadow Fall], is going to sit right at the heart of the launch of the PS4.

The other thing I'd say, we pride ourselves at PlayStation is taking the time and the trouble to really get to know each individual European market... to understand their culture and to really build a relationship with the [in this case the Dutch] customer. We've done that for 20 years, we think we were the first people to do it, we think the [Dutch] gamer respects that and appreciates that.

We have had a strong, close relationship for many years and that's going to continue in the future.

Also noteworthy:
- PS3 online functionality at launch was basic, nowadays it's 'good'
- PS4 online functionality should go from 'good' to 'exceptional', at launch
- The way people communicate has changed, Sony recognizes this and that's one of the reasons it's got a share button.
- Euro economic crisis influenced PS4 price (bad economic times, high unemployement rate) > high push from SCE to go for a low price)
- Smartphone & Tablet games not seen as a threat, rather offers people a 'basic gaming experience'. Opportunity to show people games on PlayStation are better than on smartphone/tablet.

Ashler

I keep forgetting that the Xbone os not coming out in all EU territories at launch. Still blows my mind every time.

Nokterian

I keep forgetting that the Xbone os not coming out in all EU territories at launch. Still blows my mind every time.

I will say it again said it somewhere else in thread but it is true though Playstation is more populair in the netherlands then Xbox and since it is delayed to 2014 well Sony has the upperhand. And yes it still baffles me that they launch in 13 country's and unlike sony 32 country's that is a huuge difference if you ask me.

kuppy

Jim Ryan is very good in handling such interviews, there were some interesting points in this one, thank you for the thread.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Xbox One isnt launching in Netherland this year ? lol

I will say it again said it somewhere else in thread but it is true though Playstation is more populair in the netherlands then Xbox and since it is delayed to 2014 well Sony has the upperhand. And yes it still baffles me that they launch in 13 country's and unlike sony 32 country's that is a huuge difference if you ask me.

PS is more popular in every major euopean market expect the UK. Though this might change again this Gen if MS doesnt get their shit together.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Interesting, and quite honestly worrying note about Gaikai there.
Suggestions about Playstation name detaching from devices and becoming a service seems quite realistic.

Afrikan

interesting that it was mentioned that the PS4 would be able to be streamed to other smart devices.

i was going to start a thread to ask if Sony would release TVs with VitaTV built in...and that might be the case down the road. But it seems like Sony will let us stream the PS4 to other SmartTVs around the house.

finally the Smart Function of these TVs (which make them more expensive) will be a benefit to gamers.

Tratorn

interesting that it was mentioned that the PS4 would be able to be streamed to other smart devices.

i was going to start a thread to ask if Sony would release TVs with VitaTV built in...and that might be the case down the road. But it seems like Sony will let us stream the PS4 to other SmartTVs around the house.

finally the Smart Function of these TVs (which make them more expensive) will be a benefit to gamers.

Gaikai-streaming will start with content from PS1/2/3 and probably won't have "real" ps4-games for a while.
And I think that's a good strategy. Show everyone the good stuff from old gens and maybe stream ps4-demos. And if they want the whole new playstation-experience, they have to get the console.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm surprised the console is profitable right off the bat on launch day for the PS4. Is this a first? I mean, you usually hear time and time again how much a company loses on the sales early in a generation.

cammy84

I'm surprised the console is profitable right off the bat on launch day for the PS4. Is this a first? I mean, you usually hear time and time again how much a company loses on the sales early in a generation.

I think with the unfortunate state Sony is in they need the money from PS4 launch. Hopefully it does well since I don't like seeing any company struggle like Sony is.

Chobel

S¡mon;88435142 said:
Interviewer asks whether or not the PS4 is profitable at a pricepoint of €400. Jim Ryan seems to be suggesting that the PS4, at least in Europe, is profitable from the start.

So PS4 is profitable from day one? I could swear that someone else in Sony said that you need to get ps+ and a game to get profit.

coldone

They are hoping that people will buy PS+ and few launch titles. Sony gets a cut from each game sold.

I still maintain the belief that the bedrock of Microsoft's success last gen was them managing to get the 360 out as early as they did. Without that caveat, well, it'll be interesting to see how they get on.

Copenap

S¡mon;88435142 said:
Also noteworthy:
- PS3 online functionality at launch was basic, nowadays it's 'good'
- PS4 online functionality should go from 'good' to 'exceptional', at launch

I'm glad to hear that eventhough of course he would never say anything different. That it's pointed out specifically makes me somehow confident in the online environment of the PS4.

2MF

PS is more popular in every major euopean market expect the UK. Though this might change again this Gen if MS doesnt get their shit together.

That might be true, but the 360 did quite well in some EU countries. For example here in Sweden, where the Xbone doesn't have an announced launch date yet AFAIK.

Amazing that for Sony so much seems to hinging on a product produced by the department which was until recently the black sheep of the company.

The interviewer could have asked some hard questions. E.g., if you support the Dutch market so well, then could you briefly comment on:

- the absence of the videostore
- the absence of Playstation Mobile
- the absence of the Youtube PS3 app ( which seems a unique issue to The Netherlands for some reason)

Still super excited to be part of the global launch (or within two weeks at least), but these three issues worry me as they have been around for years now and never fixed.

DBT85

I've been saying they should have Gaikai in Smart TVs and tablets since they announced what they were doing with it.

They don't need you to buy a console from them, they want to sell you games and services. So get that service on the million and millions of TVs and tablets sold every year, all they need is a web connection and a BT connection to a DS4. DenzelBoom.jif

Always enjoy Jim Ryan interviews.

Amazing that for Sony so much seems to hinging on a product produced by the department which was until recently the black sheep of the company.

In a time where Sony's electronics division are basically losing their product differentiation advantages, Playstation is arguably the last pillar of their electronics business ( it's separate divisions, but ignore that for a sec ) that is truly unique and difficult for competitors to replicate.

Kaz likes to talk up Sony's movie and music divisions, but those divisions aren't easy to integrate, as much as Kaz would probably want to.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Good interview. No tough questions but at the same time it didn't sound like a whole bunch of flimsy PR speak. Though that just might be that they are in such a strong position.

S¡mon

Banned
The interviewer could have asked some hard questions. E.g., if you support the Dutch market so well, then could you briefly comment on:

- the absence of the Youtube PS3 app ( which seems a unique issue to The Netherlands for some reason)

Still super excited to be part of the global launch (or within two weeks at least), but these three issues worry me as they have been around for years now and never fixed.
Nederlander hier, dus...

- Video store? I don't really know what you're talking about.
- PlayStation Mobile? I believe they did have some phones with PS Mobile in the Netherlands.
- What? it is there! In XMB: "TV-/videodiensten" > Open "MyChannels" > Go to "YouTube" and install.

satam55

Banned

The PS4 is launching in a lot more than 32 countries in 2013.

Which more than these does it launch in?

Canada
United States
November 29th – SCE Europe

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
November 29th – Latin America

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Mexico
Panama
Peru

TimmiT

This interview was done by a channel for shareholders, chances are they don't know that these things are absent.

I'm pretty sure that there's a Youtube PS3 app here in the Netherlands though. The absence of the video store is likely due to licensing, not sure why we don't have Playstation Mobile though.

Usually we compare NA, EU and Japan launches. Now we will have to add a total category of "other" with a country by country break down. I hope that doesn't offend some. You could call it the the Big 4 territories if you want. Sony has Japan locked down and will get off to a good start in Europe and "other". They will be very competitive in NA and will have an early lead there. I don't think you could ask for more than that as a company that had to do as much as they did with the PS3 just to remain competitive. It is truly a big time comeback story by itself worthy of some mainstream press.

Doffen

More pre-orders? No shit.

PlayStation will again dominate in Scandinavia. Not only that but the PS4 price in Norway has generally gone from 3499 to 3899 since the Xbox One jumped to 2014.

Asd202

Well yeah the only place where Xbone and PS4 might be close is US in every other region Sony has the upper hand.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I have been using the PS3 youtube app for months, it's fantastic.

I pretty much watch all my Giantbomb content with that app.

Usually we compare NA, EU and Japan launches. Now we will have to add a total category of "other" with a country by country break down. I hope that doesn't offend some. You could call it the the Big 4 territories if you want. Sony has Japan locked down and will get off to a good start in Europe and "other". They will be very competitive in NA and will have an early lead there. I don't think you could ask for more than that as a company that had to do as much as they did with the PS3 just to remain competitive. It is truly a big time comeback story by itself worthy of some mainstream press.

NA
EU
JPN
ASPAC ( excluding Japan )

You can categorise it like that. =)

CN is normally treated as its own regional territory nowadays with multinationals, but the gaming market of China is still too small to be treated as its own region.

Everything points to 4/2014... MS dropped the ball big time in EU.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Great interview! Online functionality and server consistency is my main concern right now. As long as the psn doesn't go down the first few days I'll be fine. It makes me even more hyped knowing it will go from good to great at launch. The ps4 is going to be amazing.

Nokterian

Nope but what i did saw that the Xbox One distribution is in the netherlands in eindhoven from what i saw to deliver to other country's that's even more hilarious.

satam55

Banned

Which more than these does it launch in?

Canada
United States
November 29th – SCE Europe

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
November 29th – Latin America

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Mexico
Panama
Peru

December :
Hong Kong
Korea
Malaysia
Singapore
Taiwan
UAE – December 13th

All in all, Sony launches in 38 countries by end of 2013.

It's more than 38. You forgot about Thailand, India, South Africa, & other Middle Eastern Countries.

Top Bottom