• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4s Alleged Overheating Problems: Developers Say they Don’t Exist

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Don't forget to visit Dualshockers! They're doing a mighty fine job at the moment:

We’ve been using a bunch of dev kits. They’ve been on almost all the time, sometimes even over night. They’ve always stayed cool, never even gotten warm so It has never suggested the threat of a problem. We have had n0 problems with any of the dev kits throughout development.

As far as I know, the specs and cooling of the current dev kits are the same as the final retail consoles, and I never saw one getting any hotter than a PS3 or a Xbox 360. Our consoles never had problems of that sort, and if you’re talking about that picture with the red line, I never saw something like that.

None of our devkits, either PS4 or Xbox One, had any overheating problems. We have so many and we use them so much that if there was any big issue we’d have probably noticed something, but no, they all worked and still work like a charm.

There’s no such thing as a new console launch without a number of faulty units, but none of the development kits we have suffered from any problem related to heat.

We don’t really like getting in the middle of console war stuff /rumors so we’d rather not be credited for a quote, but this makes me giggle. We’ve been using test and dev kits for a while. No over heating issues. We run them for full business hours and beyond. Granted, they aren’t identical to what will be released, so really anyone claiming to have an issue is either fabricating it, or it would be something I’d expect resolved in the final model. No issues on our end that I’ve seen.

In addition to developers, I also contacted a few people that worked at the Sony booths at recent trade shows, Milan’s Games Week and the event in Paris that goes by the same name (both booths had a very high number of working consoles). I also managed to get in contact with someone that worked at the Battlefield 4 booth at the Paris Games Week, where 32 PS4 and 32 Xbox One units worked over time for almost a week.

They all were very clear in explaining that no console had any kind of overheating issue during the events, and trade show conditions are just as brutal than the development environment.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...ting-problems-developers-say-they-dont-exist/

Famousmortimer:

Don't forget to visit his site guys/gals!

For several days now there’s been a fairly pervasive rumor that I can’t even figure out where it started but has been perpetuated by the likes of Marcus Beer and others that the PS4 is having issues and this is why they are not being given to the press. It had me worried so I started asking around to just about everyone I know in the industry. Like most rumors there does seem to be a tinge of truth to it; the PS4 does create a lot of heat. There wasn’t a single developer who had a story about a system overheating, however.

According to one dev who is not working on a PS4 game “Trust me, I know guys who are working QA on PS4 kits – it’s not overheating. Take a guess where the rumor is coming from…”

Ok, ok. But he isn’t actually working with the system. I talked to several people at Sony. They all said there was zero issues that they knew of. The reason, they say, the review consoles are going out late is because the firmware is being worked on until the last-minute, not because of the console overheating. Also PSN testing is happening this week and is going “very smoothly.” Braggarts.

Alright… but they work at Sony. Still not good enough. Is there anyone who will be bold enough to stand up with the fearless Marcus Beer and bring us some hot, hot truth(!)? ”The PS4 produces more heat than you would think” AH HA! IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SONY, I LOVE YOUR GAMES BUT YOU ALWAYS MESS UP SOMEHOW AND THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING FAR TOO POSITIVELY. He continued “but we haven’t had a single unit overheat.” OH COME ON! Another dev told me “Not sure I even need to “confirm” this, but the PS4 does not have any glaring overheating issues. It gets kinda hot, but even being 9 hours on every day doesn’t phase it. It stays cool if it’s idle in the UI. It’s quiet at all times as well, Marcus Beer is making stuff up for clicks, as usual. It gets kinda hot when in-game, especially in the back on the side it sits on horizontally. It actually appears to remain cooler when it’s standing vertically, but it doesn’t overheat either way.”

So, that’s as hot as this story is getting. A powerful videogame console creates a lot of heat. I wouldn’t go shoving it in some snug little hole in your entertainment center, it likely needs room to breathe like, well, all videogame systems. But there doesn’t seem to be a lick of truth to the idea that there are hardware failures. The firmware on the other hand… we’ll see. Much like Xbox OS it’s being worked on till the very last-minute (and then immediately will begin work on the first update post-launch). Where there isn’t smoke there isn’t fire. I think that’s how the saying goes…?

http://doddscientifics.com/2013/11/02/the-ps4-is-hot-literally/

Mugatu

I never even heard that rumor. I heard about one display unit resetting because it was inside a plastic box but that's it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was there a recent rumour of overheating that I missed? I thought that was just something concocted around when the PS4 was announced and then we haven't heard since.

What is the Marcus Beer thing you guys are referencing?

Feorax

Would love to hear Marcus Beer produce the evidence or come up with sources.

His source was GAF and the image of the PS4 in the little plastic box. You know, that one that was debunked immediately?

It's sad that he and so many others will happily take a shit on the industry and his fellow journalists, purely for the sake of spreading FUD so he can get a few clicks.

Owzers

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh secrets.

If ps4 did have heating problems, it would be nice if that wasn't a "secret sources" kinda deal and the fact that Marcus just casually throws that allegation around is disappointing.

Was there a recent rumour of overheating that I missed? I thought that was just something concocted around when the PS4 was announced and then we haven't heard since.

What is the Marcus Beer thing you guys are referencing?

He did one of his angry videos where he said that his sources told him that the PS4 had overheating issues.

None of our devkits, either PS4 or Xbox One, had any overheating problems. We have so many and we use them so much that if there was any big issue we’d have probably noticed something, but no, they all worked and still work like a charm.

This news pleases me greatly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Seriously, just look at the TDP of these chips. How on earth could you even begin to screw up a cooling system such that those would overheat?

Cragvis

PS4 Freezing confirmed!

What If I like to have my AC on and live in a cold room? If the ps4 cant heat itself up enough to work, then what? huh? Yea dats wut I taught.

Persona7

Banned
First it says that they never even get warm and then they never get warmer than a PS3 or 360 which get pretty damn warm and even hot even the slim versions of both consoles.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I kinda like Marcus Beer so I don't know why he'd be such a moron like this.

I think he is actually more pissed about the fact that he doesn't get complete access to review units before launch, than anything else.

braves01

Banned
major nelson told me the ps4 uses hot ram that overheats

he wouldnt lie

iTlpT7Uvutwdu.gif

I don't know...

Those gut feelings people get when they look at the box sure do seem convincing. I mean, I know they have no background in industrial design, or thermodynamics, or any other experience in a field that would give them enough expertise to make such a judgment, but you know... How could it not be magic? Something is fishy.

reKon

Banned
people calling him out on Twitter. I hope this deters anymore stupid rumors because being the person to deliver the news only hurts your reputation

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
One too many Beers.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I'm not gonna say that at least a tiny part of me isn't disappointed. And my PS3 raise the room temperature either placebo-like or noticeably. I use my Sony Vaio as a handwarmer during the winter. No, I'm not being silly or kidding. That thing puts out scalding hot air. And it's glorious.

This is perfect in more ways than one.
for some reason your post made me think of this
workflow.png

Into

Did devs have RROD problems with the Xbox 360 back when it wasn't released?

I do not remember any news of that back then. Really it took some time for RROD to really blow up and become a huge thing. Its the biggest hardware failure in the history of the industry.

There is no way for Marcus Beer or his "sources" to have any kind of substantial data to draw from to proclaim that the console has overheating problems. Because you need millions of them out there, under all sorts of conditions, being played by all sorts of people in all sorts of environments.

It came across as him being upset that he did not get a console before the general consumer, and decided to lash out and cling to whatever "rumor" he found on Twitter. That and well, making a negative "angry" video is part of his Angry Gamer persona, he is like the father of Angry Video Game Nerd and Angry Joe, at least James Rolfe and Joe Vargas do their jobs to entertain people not spread misinformation.

Every console has a failure rate, the question is just how high it is. And there is way Marcus Beer or any and all of his sources know that at this point.

Top Bottom