• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall uses FXAA + TMAA

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I asked for some more info on Twitter and this is what I got.
Michiel Van Der Leeuw said:
@roboplato Tried a few things, and multisampling didn't make the cut (costly, not the biggest impact on quality). More on that later..

https://twitter.com/MvdLeeuwGG/status/397481952443248640

I'm guessing TMAA is the first pass and has a temporal component and FXAA is used after to finish cleaning up the edges. Having an AA pass first probably helps with the blur usually caused by FXAA.

Impressive.

Two passes of AA, 1080p, AND 60fps (or close to...wish it were locked).

Guerilla Games may not make the best games, but they always find a way to make ludicrously pretty games.

thuway

This game on a technical level destroys every launch title on next-gen hardware. This is literally Sony putting their foot down and saying we have the better hardware, deal with it.

Wasp

I've no idea what this means.

But Killzone 2 used QAA (Quincunx) and it was one of the best anti-aliased games I've seen on console.

They took a huge backwards step in Killzone 3 by switching to MLAA (morphological). Killzone 3 was significantly more jaggy than Killzone 2.

Cuyejo

Crytek used two AA techniques together first on consoles with their SMAA on Crysis 3, also on PC I think, I haven't played it though, wonder how it compares to Guerrilla's technique.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MLAA. Quite well suited for the Cell but I don't think we'll be seeing it again.
If they could eliminate texture blurring completely, the kind of solution they have here would be uniformly far better. Coverage that this combination gives is far better than MLAA could do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nice, TMAA , are 2 AA methods that common?

In modern CryEngine or Frostbite games you have the option.

Though technically in CryEngine it's only one setting, but the implementation of the setting itself is multiple forms of anti-aliasing.

GameSeeker

Someone needs to teach this AA technique to DICE, Infinity Ward, etc.

The 3rd party PS4 games still are using poor AA techniques.

x3sphere

Not a fan of FXAA, I realize on a console game I can't be an IQ snob though. Sometimes it can look alright, depends on the implementation.

Zen

Banned
I've no idea what this means.

But Killzone 2 used QAA (Quincunx) and it was one of the best anti-aliased games I've seen on console.

They took a huge backwards step in Killzone 3 by switching to MLAA (morphological). Killzone 3 was significantly more jaggy than Killzone 2.

The only drawback with QxAA is it also blurs textures, but it was perfect for Killzone 2 honestly, and we've seen some pretty nasty results from both MLAA and FXAA here and there, they really should have stuck with the Killzone 2 method,.

Biker19

Banned
This game on a technical level destroys every launch title on next-gen hardware. This is literally Sony putting their foot down and saying we have the better hardware, deal with it.

It's gonna get even more better in two or three years once they further take advantage of the hardware.

dr_rus

I wonder if TMAA is just transparency multisampling meaning alpha to coverage for transparent textures. Can't think of any other reason to combine anything with FXAA really.

Great. MP looked pretty clean in motion. Can't wait to see the SP.
I also hope they release mor info about this TMAA soon. I guess a lot of Sony first party games will use it.

Someone needs to teach this AA technique to DICE, Infinity Ward, etc.

The 3rd party PS4 games still are using poor AA techniques.

And yet the guy from GG said MSAA didn't make the cut due to cost/IQ trade-off and went with FXAA - much like DICE. Neither solution is ideal.

What i don't get is why console games don't use SMAA. It doesn't cost much more, if at all.

-------------

Forza Horizon is 4xMSAA + FXAA on console, albeit @ a solid 30FPS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And yet the guy from GG said MSAA didn't make the cut due to cost/IQ trade-off and went with FXAA - much like DICE. Neither solution is ideal.

What i don't get is why console games don't use SMAA. It doesn't cost much more, if at all.
This is basically SMAA, or rather their take on it. It really does look better than FXAA alone, and combined with higher resolution does have a noticeable leg up on BF4 on PS4, or really any other big budget console game.

MSAA with deferred rendering engine takes a huge hit as far as I know.

This is basically SMAA, or rather their take on it. It really does look better than FXAA alone, and combined with higher resolution does have a noticeable leg up on BF4 on PS4, or really any other big budget console game.

MSAA with deferred rendering engine takes a huge hit as far as I know.

Maybe, but 1080p + [some implementations of] FXAA still looks terrible and i say this as a PC gamer who has tried FXAA @ 1440p and i can't stand it.

I look forward to DF's grabs, though.

Top Bottom