• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant has been in the NBA for 5 console generations

DMczaf

As well as a handful of old ass players still in the league. But Kobe had his own game!

Time to feel Oldbe.

Gen 4 (NBA Live 98 SNES shown)

9wkTGOT.png

Gen 5 (NBA Courtside 2 N64 shown)

courtside2_screen010.jpg

Gen 6 (NBA 2K1 DC shown)

bg16-190581_640w.jpg

Gen 7 (NBA 2K8 Xbox 360 shown)

NBA2K8_BoxShot_Aug29_Kobe061.jpg

Gen 8 (NBA 2K14 PS4 shown)

KHRwOy3.png

Juwan Howard has been in games since the Atari 2600

*dodges tomato*

I had NBA courtside for gamecube, was decent and it had kobe on the cover, Nintendo should do sports games again :p

There was a similar comparison for punter Jeff Feagles I think? He retired in 2009-2010 from the NFL but at one point he had been the last player still playing that appeared on an NES or SNES football game.

I want to say it was Feagles. I could be wrong.

Shady859

I have hated Kobe Bryant for 5 console generations.

Kevin Garnett was drafted a year before Kobe... Nash, Fisher and Allen were in same class as well as Kobe.

oSoLucky

Courtside was really fun. rented that bad boy multiple times.

It was my favorite sports game at the time. Only one close was Gameday on PSX with that left-right juke tech.

Thinking about this really makes me wish that Nintendo would go back to investing in sports games again. A Wii U(or beyond) version of Courside, Ken Griffey's Baseball, 1080 Snowboarding, etc. would make my day, especially since their games brought something different to take advantage of the hardware.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I remember looking at screenshots for the gamecube NBA Live games and thought, we're at the end of the line, nothing can top this.

Glad I was wrong, the last screenshot looks insane. Too bad I don't like basketball games besides nba jam :(

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there are some hockey players that match this feat.

Adam Vinatieri in the NFL as well.

jwhit28

I still don't know how I'll cope with a NBA without Kobe and to a lesser extent Steve Nash and Tim Duncan. They are the last of my childhood stars. NBA Courtside 2002 was the first GC game I actually played. The rooftop mode was fun.

Did anyone else play NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC? That game was so much damn fun. No other arcade style basketball game has ever captured the same magic that Showtime did.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else play NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC? That game was so much damn fun. No other arcade style basketball game has ever captured the same magic that Showtime did.

Yes, loved the hell out of that game!

I loved showtime. I had no memory card for the n64 so I couldn't save shit. I played all day to win the ship with my created player who was an alien. It was so much fun

Mariolee

I still own Courtside for N64. I always loved running the players into the basketball hoop's pole and watching them fall down. I don't think we've been able to do that since.

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Neo Member

This is the game with Shaq on the cover, right? I LOVED that game. I was so damn good at it too. I think I still have it somewhere.

Damn I'm freaking glad to see all the Showtime ballerz up in here. That game STILL holds up today, yo. I fucking love that game. I might just buy an N64 for that game alone this spring...

BigDug13

Jordan's gonna be a hidden character/legend character forever.

Yeah but this is specifically "has been playing basketball in the NBA through 5 console generations", not "has been in 5 console generations worth of games". That makes a big difference in the argument of whether or not Kobe will pass Jordan in number of console generations spent in the NBA as a player.

jwhit28

I will be once he carries you guys to a 7th round seed/1st round exit.

You're stuck in no man's land til the end of time/kobe. Thank you Old Snake!

Oh good now I'm picturing Kobe slowly crawling through the Staple Center melting.

Top Bottom