• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennello: "People just weren't ready for all digital Xbox One". Post #657 = ether.

Jomjom

Banned
Not ready for Xbox One future if old

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/08/penello-people-just-werent-ready-for-all-digital-xbox-one/

"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

Penello said Microsoft hasn't given up on a fully digital future. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

Jomjom

Banned
I seriously thought by now they had learned to stop saying this in public, even if it's what they believe.

Soulflarz

Banned
We weren't ready to make the leap right away?

No, ill never give up lending games to friends and physical sales willingly. Ever.

Raydeen

I was ready.

For those with shit internet connections who weren't.

Tough shit. Throw your clogs (and prams) into the machine.

Dragon

Banned
Albert, that was the problem!

You never had a rational conversation among the Xbox team! That's why it was such a clusterfuck.

Except you still can make the Xbox One all digital. Just buy all digital.

Problem solved. No more fucking over physical disc owners.

I wonder if, after the Resolutiongate thread, if Albert is too scared to post here now, since he dropped the ball on a lot of crap.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not this "we're too far in the future for you" BS again. Just say it's gone, don't make yourselves sound superior for your stupid idea and give me reason to think it might come back.

GameSeeker

Microsoft still failing badly. They don't understand that "Digital future" has nothing to do with the DRM they were trying to shove down consumers throats.

Krakn3Dfx

I bet they had plenty of 'rational conversations' with their 'corporate partners'.

Regardless, you lost a launch sale here, even after the dust and 180s settled, you're still talking down to your consumers like we're children with mom's purse at our disposal.

Will not be surprised if they slowly slide in drm one by one over the course of 5 years and then in the successor say oh you have already been using this. Just like DLC for stuff which should already have been in games on day 1

a916

Agreed.

I honestly (maybe I'm a fool to believe this would have happened) but an all digital future, telling Gamestop to gtfo, would have resulted in digital titles being priced cheaper.

Well it's not like they're going to say anything else. The stuff about not having a chance to explain is bs though. They had all the chances to explain things but chose to be evasive and vague.

Steel

Banned
You know I'm not surprised they're still considering this, I'm just surprised at how poorly it's being presented. Just because you're planning on going all digital later doesn't my you have to announce it and say your customers were too dumb to see the future.

Penello said Microsoft hasn't given up on a fully digital future. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

Of course digital is the future. What MS execs have done wrong was to force it on people rather than letting the people decide. Why is it so hard for them to see that?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I do like to physically have products I buy. I just get the feeling that decades down the line I won't be able to just pull out an all-digital console and play it like I do the Nes/Snes/Genesis.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hi Albert,

If Xbone survives, release a BR drive free version with less horrible DRM in a smaller case for $200 in four years and I'm there.

Best
Me

Nibel

People weren't ready because to this point the whole infrastructure is still not reliable enough and the digital market isn't nearly as ironed out as the physical market

Bailers

I do think it's inevitable. But we're no where near that, when most of us don't have fiber to the house and might even have caps on our monthly internet usage.

Grinchy

Banned
"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

Really? So the reveal wasn't a chance to describe what you were trying to do? Maybe instead of wasting so much time talking about the NFL and TV shows, you could have instead shown why your original plans for gaming were so awesome.

Top Bottom