• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

The more I see of this UI, the more uninspired it looks. Those big blue icons for Internet, etc. Also, the time it takes for that data to load in is a bit much.

Looks awesome! The way it's setup though I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow custom themes. Would work perfect with the XMB type thing.

A good look at some of the deeper menus, but we really need a more comprehensive video.

It looks incredibly slick and responsive though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The more I see of this UI, the more uninspired it looks. Big blue cubes for Internet, and other features. They clash with the game related blocks. Also, the time it takes for that data to load in is a bit much.

The load time for 'live area' data - if that's what they're also calling it on PS4 - did annoy me here. At least in the first load for Knack's. The Playroom live area loaded a lot quicker. Maybe their internet connection was a bit dodgy and/or in the first case of Knack the OS was still warming up (?)

But that's my only complaint really. I like how it remembers what other app you were last on when you suspend the game, unlike Vita - will make it a lot easier to flick between game and - say - a guide or a neogaf thread ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks simple and functional. I don't care about the aesthetic complaints when it's not needing to be heavy and as lightweight as possible for it to work as fast as possible.

Looks damn good and that's not even the whole UI.

I like how it remembers what other app you were last on when you suspend the game, unlike Vita - will make it a lot easier to flick between game and - say - a guide or a neogaf thread ;)

Yeah flipping back between GAF and a game will be most of what I do in terms of multitasking :)

Looks like what I need it to be - simple, fast and clean.

Did notice all the prompts for voice control, wonder how effective they are.

They just ripped it out of their newer Bravia TV's and put it into the PS4. And this is a good thing, because navigating through those TV's is incredibly easy and fast.

Looked fast and responsive, and gets back into a game near instantly. That's what I want.

I definitely don't need any marketplace ads on the side to make it more busy, but I do want wallpapers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Compared to Steams Big Picture mode both consoles UIs look just okay.

wizzbang

Banned
I just watched this full video (after the 4:45 mark) and it's by far the most comprehensive PS4 demo Iv'e seen to date, it's quite good.
UI looks ..... not bad - I can't decide yet, at least it's not fucking flat and 1 item per page.

Faustek

Good UI, I prefer the less-is-more approach.

I agree, I imagine that people complaining about this are the same people that have 50+ shortcuts on their desktop....I HATE a cluttered desktop. Seriously.

But this also raises the question why we can't modify backgrounds. I reckon it wasn't a priority at launch but I don't want the PS3 wait times for something that simple :|

netBuff

This looks really great compared to the ugliness that is the Metro Xbone-UI. Sleek, fast and usable - quite a difference to Microsofts confusing "hidden features" design philosophy.

iJudged

Banned
Can't compare it to the x1 os but i don't care Tbh, I just want games on it, xbone is going to be my main entertainment device.

Rootbeer

Banned
Liking what I'm seeing.

As history has shown us though, we'll probably go through multiple iterations of the UI as they evolve it over time through patches, but I'm reserving any complaints or suggestions until I have it in my home and have used it for a while. In the videos though it looks very functional and light, not so unlike Windows 8's new UI which I'm also a fan of in the right environments.

Quite surprised by the negativity in here. I think functionally it looks really good. I love the idea of having that top bar which gets you access to all your community aspects, and the bottom bar having your games. I agree that the Knack Live Area takes a few seconds too long to load, but that may be an Internet connection issue. We won't know until the system's in the wild.

My only real concern is how it's going to look when you have lots of games. I have over 100 titles on my PS3 hard drive right now, and intend to do a similar amount of gaming on my PS4. Hopefully there's an easy way to categorise them on the next-gen machine.

EDIT: Also, I think it's pretty impressive how quickly it jumps back into Knack. It's instantaneous.

shem935

Banned
Looks good! Different aesthetic than the xbox one ui but overall it is comparable in most features except for snap which is not that big of a deal to me. The ability to have a game idle in the background and have it a ps button push a way seems to work well!

I'm still surprised by how little of the PS4 UI we've seen, especially with it launching this week. That being said, the UI looks like a small evolution over the PS3's UI. It looks like the system can sign you in when you have a controller in your had via the PS4 camera, which is kinda neat; not sure how many people will really be playing that air hockey game though. Compared to the Xbox One's UI, it does seem a little stark (which some may like).

Oni Jazar

I can't watch the video at the moment, did they show the library yet? I want to know how the ps4 will handle tons of mixed content. I'm sad they did away with the whole music/video/game split on the xmb. This looks a lot less organized.

DMeisterJ

Banned
What are the advantages of Xbox One UI other than Snap, TV Guide and Voice Commands.

Your question is basically "what are the advantages aside from the advantages?"

----

The Xbox One does have a more interesting looking UI compared to the PS4 by quite a margin. As long as the PS4's is fast and functional, I'll be happy. But after that Xbox One video, this looks super basic.

Bodom78

The PS4 is such a sleek and sexy looking console. So what happened to the UI, it looks terrible.

Sure you can say less is more, but it doesn't hurt to be beautiful too.

shem935

Banned
Your question is basically "what are the advantages aside from the advantages?"

----

The Xbox One does have a more interesting looking UI compared to the PS4 by quite a margin. As long as the PS4's is fast and functional, I'll be happy. But after that Xbox One video, this looks super basic.

Sony has confirmed voice commands for navigation. I expect the UI will just come down to preference. All I want is for both to be fast and responsive as the ui can obviously change a lot over the course of a generation.

As someone who uses Windows 8, I'm glad the PS4 UI doesn't look like Windows 8.

I'd rather it be simple and functional, which this looks like.
I won't be spending a lot of time admiring the UI anyways.

Strange that he quickly skipped past the 'What's New' page. Hopefully that will be more like the 360 this time around and feel a little more 'alive'. I like to see lots of new stuff every time I turn on my console.

nib95

Banned
What are the advantages of Xbox One UI other than Snap, TV Guide and Voice Commands.

PS4 has voice commands too. You don't even need the Camera to use them. The UI also has it's own advantages too, like longer video recording for example. More stream options. So there's pro's and cons to both.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in Snap or TV functionality, especially if it costs 10% of my GPU resources (if it didn't use up such a reserve, I'd be more inclined to support it, though it'd never be more than a novelty feature). I just want a quick, snappy, reliable UI with more gamer centric features. I guess when we have Sony's official UI video, we can compare it's features better to the Xbox One's (which was suspiciously missing any Snap functionality), but thus far they both look good.

hew9753

It looks fine to me. I can see why people would complain about how sterile and bland it is compared to the XB1 UI but as long as it can quickly get me into a game, that's all that matters.

Looks nice, very fast compared with XMB. Looks like game "activity" data is still sluggish though.

hope they keep improving the speed and functionality on upcoming updates :p my only complaint about the old XMB was the slooooow loading of icons and content.

The PS4 is such a sleek and sexy looking console. So what happened to the UI, it looks terrible.

Sure you can say less is more, but it doesn't hurt to be beautiful too.

Yup. I'm all for fast and simple.

The problem is that this is fast, simple, and kinda ugly. The big blue icons next to the game icons just looks like amateur design.

The fact that the entire background is bright blue and you're given no option to change that, makes it even worse.

wapplew

Quite surprised by the negativity in here. I think functionally it looks really good. I love the idea of having that top bar which gets you access to all your community aspects, and the bottom bar having your games. I agree that the Knack Live Area takes a few seconds too long to load, but that may be an Internet connection issue. We won't know until the system's in the wild.

My only real concern is how it's going to look when you have lots of games. I have over 100 titles on my PS3 hard drive right now, and intend to do a similar amount of gaming on my PS4. Hopefully there's an easy way to categorise them on the next-gen machine.

EDIT: Also, I think it's pretty impressive how quickly it jumps back into Knack. It's instantaneous.

Yes! That's all I want PS4 UI to be, simple, fast, everything under one hood.
I like that we can browse massage, notification and other info within the same page without going through 900 different app. That's one thing I hate about Vita OS, everything on different app.

Espada

Man, both consoles have ugly ass UIs. I liked how it quick it was resuming gameplay (very very quick), but some things were definitely sluggish. I also dislike that they're probably going to force people to pay to change their backgrounds or be stuck with that ugly default.

Yup. I'm all for fast and simple.

The problem is that this is fast, simple, and kinda ugly. The big blue icons next to the game icons just looks like amateur design.

The fact that the entire background is bright blue and you're given no option to change that, makes it even worse.

who said you can't change the background?

Top Bottom