• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita TV only works on JP/Asia PSN currently

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Right now it's region locked to Japan:

Initial signs are not good - it will only let me log in with my Japanese account. I'm now updating the firmware to 3.00, but I'm not optimistic this will change anything.

Edit: Nope. With both my NZ and US accounts I get 'This service is not available in your region'. It is useless to me.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Considering many games required specific patches to become compatible it wasn't probable this version would be region free.

kartu

Banned
I hope they release PC "remote play" application, so that I can hook my controller via USB and just play from PC.

Or even if they don't that someone reverse engineers it and releases unofficial program.

shink

Wow that's disappointing and a bit surprising since none of their other devices are locked. Need to start a campaign #PSVITATVRegionFree

Jucksalbe

Banned
That's kinda sad. I figured most Western versions of games wouldn't work since it seems games have to be explicitly (made) compatible to work, but not even the accounts?
Anyone tried any Western versions on their Japanese account?

Edit: Though, it might be a server-side restriction. If so, this will probably go away when it releases in the West.

AniHawk

ah 2013. it was a tumultuous time for our nation: the ps4 craze gave us all a reason to live. the information superhighway showed the average person what some nerd thinks about star wars, and the mishandling of the vita continued unabated.

linko9

Well if they had no plans to ever release it in other regions, they'd have no reason to do this. So I'm taking it as a sign that a western release is on the horizon. Silver linings and whatnot.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think he means that people might think it will only play JP game cards?
Is it confirmed that this isn't the case? Since many games require a compatibility patch, would they bother releasing a non JP patch if they had no intent for non JP games to be compatible in the first place?

Seik

Banned
NOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!

I wanted to import. Goddammit, Sony! D:

I hope they'll release it here soon enough...

EDIT: Oh, I overreacted, this is only about the PSN accounts?! Because if the game cards works I'm still a happy man, I buy at retail.

Takao

Banned
Is it confirmed that this isn't the case? Since many games require a compatibility patch, would they bother releasing a non JP patch if they had no intent for non JP games to be compatible in the first place?

I've imported some Japanese Vita stuff and I was able to download updates just fine on my North American Canada PSN equipped Vita.

Edit: I'm fairly certain I misread that. I'm so tired that I can't be sure right now haha

Burai

shitonmychest57
Makes sense. Why would they throw resource getting the games on the NA/EU stores fixed and re-certified for Vita TV when the western release is still TBA and they've got the small matter of the PS4 launch to deal with first?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've imported some Japanese Vita stuff and I was able to download updates just fine on my North American Canada PSN equipped Vita.
No I mean many JP vita retail games require a Vita TV specific patch to be playable on the Vita TV.

If they don't intend for non-JP games to work, they won't issue the compatibility patch for the US/EU version or w/e in the first place, rendering them incompatible anyways.

Once I saw the compatibility list I kind of lost all interest anyway. Disappointing for sure. Maybe they see it having a higher value in the West because of the Apple TV?

To be fair, you make a good point - I haven't seen a confirmation about retail cards. As it stands all Vita models play cards from all regions, but Vita TV is a different kettle of bananas...

I really hope there isn't some 'deserved' outcry and backlash about this. It was stated there were no plans on an outside JPN release, people pre-ordered anyway and they've supposedly been burnt.

Top Bottom