• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: SPOILER THREAD OF SPOILING SPOILERS

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
8ccf59d1b04bde55c46943ec61cb6df3.gif

Ask spoiler questions, and post your spoilers here please!

Keep the wonderful OT nice and clean!

The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds-Logo-With-Master-Sword.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
Reposting from the other thread:

End story spoilers are up on 4chan from the French guy who beat the game already (he posted pictures to go along with it, so these are legit).

In short:

-Link saves the seven sages throughout the game and gets the Triforce of Courage.
-Link heads to Lorule Castle and encounters Hilda, who tells him the story of her kingdom: they had their own Triforce and people fought over it, but unlike the Hylians they didn't seal it away but instead destroyed it. This caused the kingdom to fall into ruins.
-Hilda therefore captured Zelda (and I guess Ganon? He doesn't go into detail) to take their Triforce pieces, and also plans to do the same to Link.
-Hilda summons Yuga, who fuses with Ganon (or something. Maybe he just takes the Triforce of Power?). Link beats him, then Yuga steals the Triforce pieces from Hilda and gets more powerful. Link uses the Light Arrows to fight Yuga as a painting on the wall, defeats him.
-Hilda feels remorse, Ravio shows up and reveals that he is the long lost alternate universe Link (explaining why he has all the items).
-Ravio and Hilda take Link and Zelda to their version of the Sacred Realm, transport them back to Hyrule's Sacred Realm. Link and Zelda wish on the Triforce to give Lorule its Triforce back. Game ends with Hilda and Ravio looking up at their new upside down Triforce.

http://min.us/i/ba9CXhUYeOf2a - Hilda with part of the Triforce
http://min.us/i/wp3qjr8XTuuf - Yuga-Ganon
http://min.us/i/gkhoSJlMtZ8r - Link fighting Yuga
http://minus.com/i/f6hTe6RGOIL4 - Link and Yuga fighting as paintings
http://min.us/i/tM3IoIBGmjdU - Ravio reveals himself to be Lorule's Link
http://min.us/i/G7uoA4Jd8S23 - Link and Zelda in the Sacred Realm
http://min.us/i/X7DTSe3gffqp - Ravio and Hilda with their new Triforce

Unfortunately that guy's thread 404'd so I can't glean any more details.

sphagnum

Banned
This is kinda cool, but I'm confused. Is Ravio in Lorule or Hyrule, and is Link in Lorule the current Link?

He's in Hyrule throughout the game using Link's house as his shop. He shows up in Lorule after Link defeats Yuga. Ravio = Lorule's hero.

Link is just the same old Link.

Mariolee

Wait, so did we ever find out whether that old guy with pink hair in the art was actually the Link from Link to the Past?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I tried spacing out the OP a bit so that sphagnums end-game spoilers wasn't so all-in your face in case anyone entered by mistake :p

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Ravio being Lorule's Link kind of makes sense, haha. Remember when Link first went to Dark World and he turned into a pink bunny ?

takriel

So I would have liked to see more story cutscenes to be honest, but it's alright as it is. Zelda had a very minor role, that was a step back from Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. But I liked Hilda and Ravio. The story is nothing to write home about, but the gameplay and design is so good in this that the story doesn't really matter all that much.

RE lover

I actually loved the twist at the end, Ravio being the other Link was cool

It's nice we have these new characters, we could even have some spin off titles based on their story!

The Legend of Hilda
Hilda 2: Adventure of Ravio
The Legend of Hilda: A Ravio to the Past

Also I hope we get Ravio and Hilda as alternate costumes for Link and Zelda in Smash 4

sphagnum

Banned
It's very odd to me that they decided to add in another missing story between the Oracle games and ALBW. The intro and Sahasrahla make it clear that Ganon is sealed a second time by the sages (and, this being the Downfall Timeline, the presence of the hero during the event means it cannot be the Sealing War that happens after the Hero of Time dies), and it is this seal that Yuga breaks to free Ganon. Specifically, Sahasrahla says:

"Long ago, Ganon the Demon King nearly destroyed our peaceful world. Just when Hyrule was on the brink of ruin, the hero of legend appeared. He gathered the descendants of the Seven Sages, who had once sealed Ganon in darkness...and together they defeated the Demon King and sealed him away once more."

The intro also specifies that when this happens the Triforce is split between Ganon, Zelda, and Link, so clearly this must be an event after ALttP and the Oracle games.

Why bother adding in another unplayed backstory with a hero, like we now have for SS, TMC, and FS, especially when it would have been much simpler to just have Yuga revive Ganon instead of having him be unsealed? You would think Nintendo is setting up backstories for future games, but they never seem to actually follow through on it. Maybe they want to continue ALttP Link's story and give him a proper conclusion instead of leaving him adrift in the ocean?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did that really just happened? Ganon, the kind of hijacking a game's story, is the one getting hijacked this time.

I actually didn't see coming the fact that Ravio is Lorule's Link.

One of the GT guys during their live playthrough of the game said there was a definitive answer to Majora's Mask 3D somewhere in the game. How comes we haven't heard anything about it?

john tv

IMO people took the Majora quote way out of context. It seems pretty obvious to me he was just talking about the mask hanging in Link's house. Here's what he said (from here: http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/17/4849844/majoras-mask-link-between-worlds-connections-aonuma):

Eiji Aonuma via Polygon said:
"Oh, one more thing," Aonuma wrote. "I see many of you have been asking about a remake of Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS. It's nice to see such a strong response to this title, and we haven't forgotten about Link's adventures in that world. If you play A Link Between Worlds, you may better understand what I mean by that."
All he's saying is they haven't forgotten about MM, as evidenced by something in ALBW (the mask itself being in Link's house). He didn't mean anything more than that IMO. In my mind, this is a very safe way of saying "something Majora-related is in the works."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So the final battle made me have one regret about this game. I really wish there had been more 2D battling. The bow thing in the finale was great, but it then made me want to do that throughout the game. be able to use the sword in the wall to fight 2d monsters...

nitjj24

So the final battle made me have one regret about this game. I really wish there had been more 2D battling. The bow thing in the finale was great, but it then made me want to do that throughout the game. be able to use the sword in the wall to fight 2d monsters...

I agree with that. Sad it didn't happen.

Rich!

The final blow to Yuga/Ganon where I had to shoot the arrow around the walls the opposite way was by far the biggest OH SHIT moment I've ever had in a Zelda, with only the revelation of Majora's Mask ditching the Skull Kid and taking over the moon matching it.

it was so awesome

The final blow to Yuga/Ganon where I had to shoot the arrow around the walls the opposite way was by far the biggest OH SHIT moment I've ever had in a Zelda, with only the revelation of Majora's Mask ditching the Skull Kid and taking over the moon matching it.

it was so awesome

Tell me about it.

Though Majora's Mask is still the biggest oh shit moment.

Still waiting on that Hero Mode completion thing. I had completely forgotten about it when, halfway through my Hero run, I lent my copy to my girlfriend to play it. I coulda beaten it by the end of tomorrow if I hadn't. :/

EDIT:
Has anyone read Ravio's Diary in Hero Mode?

Wait, that is actually only in Hero's Mode? Holy shit, I thought I just didn't notice it beforehand. But yeah, was neat overall. Although I'm not really sure how I didn't put 2 and 2 together the first time through given that there was a blatantly VACANT HOUSE where Link's house is in Lorule.

So, my original guess was off, but Ravio was "a" Link...sort of:

What if the enigmatic salesman Ravio...is the spirit of Old Man Link whose adventures ended at Link's Awakening?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86466145&postcount=198

Although continuing this train of thought, did anyone else think it was interesting that they played the Hyrule overworld theme when they showed Gramps in the credits? Every other character got their own music, but he got the iconic Zelda song. Hmm...

EDIT:

This GameFAQs thread seems to substantiate the theory:

So, when you get all 50 Streetpass challenges completed, you're supposed to report back to Gramps. He tells you you're the second person to ever complete all the challenges, and asks you if you want to challenge the only other person to do so.

So you fight Gramps.

All decked out, 20 hearts, red mail, Lvl 3 Master Sword, the works.

And it's here that it suddenly dawns on me... that Gramps might be a previous game's Link.
---

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/711412-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/67925301/765973576

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, this game is exploding the timeline. How nostalgic! According to the prologue and the stained glass descriptions:

1. Wars were fought for the Triforce. The seven sages sealed it away.

This was alluded to in Hyrule Historia, but referenced only Rauru as the one who sealed it away. So I guess he had some help. This never happens during the events of any game.

2. Ganon entered the realm and claimed the Triforce.

Sound familiar to anyone? This only ever happens once. In OOT.

3. Link and Zelda defeat Ganon, and the descendants of the original seven sages seal him away.

Wait.. this ALSO only ever happens once. In OOT. In the non-failed timeline branch, in fact, which this game is not part of.

4. The Triforce of Power remains with Ganon, sealed away.

Okay so basically this entire intro is recapping OOT, and not LTTP. LTTP ends with Ganon dead, and the full Triforce in Hyrule. Not sealed away with the Triforce of Power.

And then we play ALBW, and it is a sequel to these events only. It's basically where Wind Waker should be in the timeline.

The only way this isn't complete horseshit is if, as sphagnum suggested, the events of this prologue are all NEW events that take place between LTTP and ALBW. Which is.. really only BARELY less horseshit. "Imagine OOT happened again, after LTTP, and this is a sequel to that." And there are so many missing pieces there. It really just feels like all of the backstory elements of this game are just a combination of OOT and LTTP events shuffled together randomly and in impossible sequence.

A couple things do suggest that they're indeed new events, though, beyond the baseline "there is literally no other option." Ganon is sealed away "in darkness" at the end of the prologue, rather than in the Sacred Realm. They talk about the seven sages sealing away the Triforce, which as far as we know only Rauru did originally. And when the "descendents" of those sages seal away Ganon, Rauru was involved in that similar event in OOT, and he can't really be his own descendent. The "wars" fought for the Triforce prior to its sealing could refer to the Imprisoning War and LTTP.

It doesn't really explain how Ganon came back to life after LTTP and went after the Triforce in the realm, though. It REALLY sounds like the prologue is describing the events of OOT there. What a mess.

it was so awesome
would've been more satisfying if I hadn't thought of that during the beginning of the final Yuga fight but only had it work the third time because that's when the game wanted it to work

Also Ravio being Lorule's answer to Link was hilarious. The story's nothing amazing, but it's still cute and nice seeing how Ravio/Hilda/Yuga are simultaneously the same and the exact opposite to Link/Zelda/Ganon. Right down to Link always being silent while Ravio never shuts the fuck up. Him being in a rabbit outfit is in retrospect an obvious nod to the Dark World in LTTP, but it's pretty clever how nobody made that connection even after Hilda was revealed before the game came out.

Also any timeline fuckery is probably due to the game flilpflopping between being a remake and a sequel and a MM remake and a romance dating sim during development. Unless it retroactively ruins the plot of one of the story-heavy 3D games, I don't think it's too much of a problem.

watershed

Banned
I'd rather post in here than in the OT so that I don't have to use spoiler tags. So to sum up the Majora's Mask references as I see them, they are:

Majora's Mask being in Link's house.
The milk bar.
Ravio's diary having a 3 days to go format
and possibly all the people wearing masks in Lorule.

Are there any more I'm missing?

I interpreted the legend as a retelling of many different parts of several Zelda backstories all mashed together as if it was one cohesive, singular story (like it got corrupted when passed down the generations). I wouldn't take everything that occurs in the legend and the paintings as 100% fact. And it's worth noting that they never explicitly state what happened to the OOT-esque hero, just that he combined his powers with the Sages to defeat Ganon. Even though OOT Link was killed in the downfall timeline, he did still unite the Sages, who did seal Ganon away (eventually), so to say he assisted in defeating Ganon isn't necessarily wrong.

The only parts of this game's story that are not really possible to rectify with the information that we are given in the previous games are Ganon and the Triforce's current fate in ALBW. How that all came about is a mystery.

JoeFu

Banned
Just beat the game and loved the reveal of Ravio. It makes so much sense! I hope this isn't the last we've seen of our Lorule friends. I really liked them.

So I beat the game a few days ago, and it dawned on me that I have no idea what the monster parts do. I went through the whole game, collected a ton of them, and no one said anything about it. Can I sell them? Do I give them away? Is this some kind of joke about useless collectibles?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I beat the game a few days ago, and it dawned on me that I have no idea what the monster parts do. I went through the whole game, collected a ton of them, and no one said anything about it. Can I sell them? Do I give them away? Is this some kind of joke about useless collectibles?
You can sell/use them at the Witch's hut.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I like the twist that Lorule just decided that instead of hiding their Triforce they just go "Heh, fuck it, let's destroy the damn thing.

Didn't have quite the expected results, however.

Anteo

Potion shop.

Otnopolit

Best parts of this game were the musical changes that happened when you progress.

Best example being getting the Triforce of Courage, and the Overworld music turns into a triumphant march of power! And the chanting in the Lorule Castle music theme after you unlock all parts of the Boss door. These subtle touches really made the game epic.

I'd rather post in here than in the OT so that I don't have to use spoiler tags. So to sum up the Majora's Mask references as I see them, they are:

Majora's Mask being in Link's house.
The milk bar.
Ravio's diary having a 3 days to go format
and possibly all the people wearing masks in Lorule.

Are there any more I'm missing?

I wish people would stop saying that the milk bar is a Majora's Mask reference, the milk bar was in A Link to the Past.

Just finished this morning. Great game, love it. The soundtrack is phenomenal (though part of that could just be nostalgia). When that one Yuga fight opened up with chanting I was surprised. Good stuff. It does kinda bork the timeline a little bit but that's kinda par for the course with Zelda games.

Here's Ravio's diary in case anyone was curious. I'll go ahead and spoiler it out just in case.

-3 Days to Go

She wants to do the right thing.
I wish I could help her.
But leaving is the only option.

-2 Days to Go

She's being duped. Doesn't she
realize that? He's just a leech.
There's no choice but to go.

-1 Day to Go

I have so little magic. Enough to
go there-maybe not to come back.
But tomorrow must be the day.
I may never see her again, but
I vow to save her from all of this.

RagnarokX

So, this game is exploding the timeline. How nostalgic! According to the prologue and the stained glass descriptions:

1. Wars were fought for the Triforce. The seven sages sealed it away.

This was alluded to in Hyrule Historia, but referenced only Rauru as the one who sealed it away. So I guess he had some help. This never happens during the events of any game.

2. Ganon entered the realm and claimed the Triforce.

Sound familiar to anyone? This only ever happens once. In OOT.

3. Link and Zelda defeat Ganon, and the descendants of the original seven sages seal him away.

Wait.. this ALSO only ever happens once. In OOT. In the non-failed timeline branch, in fact, which this game is not part of.

4. The Triforce of Power remains with Ganon, sealed away.

Okay so basically this entire intro is recapping OOT, and not LTTP. LTTP ends with Ganon dead, and the full Triforce in Hyrule. Not sealed away with the Triforce of Power.

And then we play ALBW, and it is a sequel to these events only. It's basically where Wind Waker should be in the timeline.

The only way this isn't complete horseshit is if, as sphagnum suggested, the events of this prologue are all NEW events that take place between LTTP and ALBW. Which is.. really only BARELY less horseshit. "Imagine OOT happened again, after LTTP, and this is a sequel to that." And there are so many missing pieces there. It really just feels like all of the backstory elements of this game are just a combination of OOT and LTTP events shuffled together randomly and in impossible sequence.

A couple things do suggest that they're indeed new events, though, beyond the baseline "there is literally no other option." Ganon is sealed away "in darkness" at the end of the prologue, rather than in the Sacred Realm. They talk about the seven sages sealing away the Triforce, which as far as we know only Rauru did originally. And when the "descendents" of those sages seal away Ganon, Rauru was involved in that similar event in OOT, and he can't really be his own descendent. The "wars" fought for the Triforce prior to its sealing could refer to the Imprisoning War and LTTP.

It doesn't really explain how Ganon came back to life after LTTP and went after the Triforce in the realm, though. It REALLY sounds like the prologue is describing the events of OOT there. What a mess.
They're paintings, not windows.

Painting 3 never mentions Link or Zelda. Zelda is in the background.

Painting 4 is where Link shows up, and it's talking about ALttP Link because the Hero of Time was completely forgotten since he failed.

The official timeline in Hyrule Historia goes like this:

Ganon defeats Link and gets the triforce. He transforms into the Demon King. Zelda and the sages seal Ganon in the Sacred Realm.

Peace reins for a while but then war breaks out when people discover portals to the Sacred Realm and greed for the Triforce runs rampant. This is the Imprisoning War. The sages stop the war by sealing the Sacred Realm.

Then ALttP happens much later.

So with this in mind, painting 3 is giving a very light description of the events from OoT to ALttP. Ganon gets the triforce, transforms, and amasses his power to attack Hyrule.

Painting 4 describes ALttP where the Legendary Hero shows up and seals Ganon once again with the help of the descendants of the 7 sages.

Hyrule Historia says that people got greedy for the triforce before Rauru sealed it in the Sacred Realm; that's why he did it. That's what painting #1 is talking about.

So, with ALBW new info:

• Skyward Sword
  • Fights over the triforce broke out after Hyrule was founded.
    [*]Rauru built the Temple of Time and he and 6 other sages sealed the triforce in the Sacred Realm.
  • Minish Cap (who cares)
  • Ganon gets the entire triforce after defeating Link and Zelda in OoT and transforms into the Demon King.
  • Zelda, Rauru, and 6 new sages seal Ganon in the Sacred Realm.
  • Time passes, Imprisoning War breaks out over access to the Sacred Realm. Ganon's forces attack Hyrule.
  • 7 sages seal the Sacred Realm AGAIN. Knights of Hyrule help. No Hero. Heavy losses.
  • ALttP happens. Link and the descendants of the 7 sages seal Ganon in darkness.
  • The triforce is split apart. Zelda keeps the triforce of wisdom hidden with the royal family. The triforce of power vanishes and finds its way back to Ganon. And nobody knows what happens to the triforce of courage, but it is believed to have found its way into the spirit of a hero. In the events of ALBW we find out that the 7 sages just have to fill up the triforce of courage progress bar to summon it.

Painting 1 and 2
Painting 3
Painting 4
Painting 5

That clear up your confusion?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Well just to be clear, my numbering in my post was arbitrary, not actually corresponding to painting numbers. But okay here are the bits I have issues with. (Numbers here also not corresponding to anything.)

1. Seven sages sealing away the Triforce, not just Rauru. This isn't a big deal, but it's still not what we had before.

2. The notion of a large gap between Ganondorf breaking into the sacred realm in OOT and the next painting describing his defeat in LTTP. I know it's what we have to assume in order for things to approach consistency, but I find it a bit hard to swallow. The story is really presented as a series of consecutive events, and those supposedly-LTTP events sound AWFULLY similar to OOT ones. "They fought and sealed Ganon, but we're gonna gloss over how he was already beaten and sealed hundreds of years before that, and really he never even escaped the seal totally, he was still in the Dark World for the entirety of LTTP." But I can deal with this if necessary.

3. Ganon's defeat after LTTP being billed as "sealed in darkness by Link and the Sages." Now this is just a straight-up retcon, if we're to believe this is a depiction of the end of LTTP. The sages had zero involvement in Ganon's defeat, they merely helped Link get to him. There was no sealing. Link killed Ganon outright.

4. The splitting of the Triforce. This did not happen at the end of LTTP. Even if we go ahead and assume "well it happened after Link's wish, off-screen," the full Triforce was present in Hyrule Castle in the Oracles, right after LTTP. And in order for the Triforce of Power to find its way to Ganon, sealed in Darkness, he would have to actually have been sealed in Darkness by the sages, which definitely never happened. Link iced the punk.

--

There are some stretches of logic here and there that I can make in order to accept certain aspects of this retelling. But where I hit a brick wall is that they are telling a story about the sealing of Ganon and his possession of the Triforce of Power as if it happened at the end of LTTP, and that just flat-out did not happen. They are basically taking the events of OOT and combining them with the events of LTTP, and treating them as a single event. And I can deal with that if we operate on "oh, they're legends, they were combined over the stretches of time, no one knows the true story, that these were separate events." Except that when Ganon is pulled out of "Darkness" with the Triforce of Power in his possession, it becomes clear that this is not a confused legend, this is the literal series of events.

In order to accept the events of ALBW, we have to accept the following retcons:

1. Rauru didn't seal the Triforce by himself, he did it with six other sages.

2. The end of LTTP has been completely changed. The seven maidens (all human, despite being the ancestors of various races, and having DESCENDENTS that are of various races, which we will just hand-wave for now since Nintendo didn't invent all those races until OOT) sealed Ganon away after Link defeated him.

3. The Triforce split into three pieces after Ganon's sealing, for some reason, and flew off to Zelda, Ganon, and the "spirit of the hero." Not right away, though. Cause it's still around in the Oracles.

I can handle when games insert new events, but outright CHANGING events, big events like the entire ending of LTTP, is a pretty big fuckin thing here.

[Edit] Wow I posted this 12 hours after you to the MINUTE!!!

Yeah, the idea that the Triforce was split and Ganon wasn't killed but "sealed in darkness" or whatever at the end of ALttP completely overwrites the Oracle games and retcons ALttP's ending completely, which I don't accept. Unless there's some other timeline split here, but, according to Aonuma, there isn't--he's stated it specifically takes place between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda, and there is no indication that Nintendo considers the Oracle games as anything less than canon. As far as I'm concerned, the Triforce/Ganon thing has to have happened after Link's Awakening. It cannot take place before the Oracle games.

gryvan

This is how I think of it. Yuga summoned Ganon in Lorule. Lorule is a parallel world thats basically a lot similar to Hyrule. So Lorule must have a Ganon version of Hyrule too. Lorule's seven sages are mostly dead from the crumbling world so Princess Hilda request Yuga to steal the seven sages from Hyrule in order to summon Ganon in Lorule to replace the dead sages of Lorule. The Hyrule Ganon is completely dead from ALttP.

So technically the Ganon we fight is not from Hyrule but from Lorule.
The only discrepancy I'm trying to figure out is how this Ganon got the triforce of power in Lorule when it was destroyed completely...

YAY! Timeline speculation begins once more. You just needed one game to screw it up Nintendo.

Unless for every game they make another Hyrule Historia to make a bunch of money.

Here's the question. With Lorule having a triforce again, do THEY have a Sacred Realm.

This is how I think of it. Yuga summoned Ganon in Lorule. Lorule is a parallel world thats basically a lot similar to Hyrule. So Lorule must have a Ganon version of Hyrule too. Lorule's seven sages are mostly dead from the crumbling world so Princess Hilda request Yuga to steal the seven sages from Hyrule in order to summon Ganon in Lorule. The Hyrule Ganon is completely dead from ALttP.

So technically the Ganon we fight is not from Hyrule but from Lorule.
The only discrepancy I'm trying to figure out is how this Ganon got the triforce of power in Lorule when it was destroyed completely...

Their Ganon/Triforce of power holder was Yuga. Thye never previously sealed someone away.

Aonuma: ,,Please look forward to see what happened after ALttP and to it's characters''
*finishes game
,,This game has nothing to do with ALttP''

Lunar15

Does this game really need a spoiler thread? There's like... one spoiler.

Aonuma mentioned that it's his goal to have no story in zelda. I'd say he's getting close.

Also come on, they go to a room with a triforce and the game doesn't have a remix of triforce room? C'mon, son.

Top Bottom