• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine's Spacebase DF-9 Recoups Investment In Two Weeks

CzarTim

http://indie-fund.com/2013/11/spacebase-df-9-recoups-investment-in-two-weeks/

Spacebase required around $400k to develop, so it would have been unwise for Indie Fund to go it alone. A $400k game in a stable of $50k-$150k games would make for an imbalanced portfolio, and would mean more risk than we were comfortable with.

So we asked some folks we know if they’d be interested in joining this experiment. Indie Fund ended up putting $75k into this project, and Humble Bundle, Hemisphere Games, make all, AppAbove Games, Adam Saltsman, The Behemoth, Morgan Webb, and Rob Reid put in the rest.

Spacebase DF-9 went into open alpha last month and recouped the entire $400k investment two weeks from that date. 85% of the revenue came in via Steam Early Access, and the other 15% via direct sales by Double Fine.

Makes me more confident that this was the right move for Broken Age.

mrdark

Banned
Upon sharing the news he asked for more money to use on projects that never get finished. In the meantime he'll share some Tweets of him doing random things on the weekday other than working.

wazoo

Kickstarter - early acces - indie funding

this is what we define the content of next gen gaming at least on PC - I am not sure Sony/MS will allows such kind of beta funding to happen

Upon sharing the news he asked for more money to use on projects that never get finished. In the meantime he'll share some Tweets of him doing random things on the weekday other than working.

Who's this he your talking about? Which projects that never gets finished?

Indie fund, which posted the news, is Jon Blow and others. Are you talking about his The Witness game?

Kickstarter - early acces - indie funding

this is what we define the content of next gen gaming at least on PC - I am not sure Sony/MS will allows such kind of beta funding to happen

Thank the f*ck for PC then. :)

PaulloDEC

Uh... what? Who is the "He" in this scenario? Tim Schafer? You know he doesn't have much to do with Spacebase, right?

And Broken Age is coming along great, just so you know. I'm looking forward to playing part one, which releases in January (this coming January, FYI. Not "never").

Mr. F

Banned

Your misinformation is showing.

Nabs

I'm really happy to hear that it's been successful so far. This will also help other indie devs who look for help from IndieFund.

just found out about this via Steam announcement and.... DAMN! This looks pretty neat actually judging by screenshots and that little video there.

Feels a bit like Startopia meets Sim City meets X-com meets Dungeon Defender from the looks of it hmm good to see it getting supported.

Top Bottom