• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering AC4 on PC BEWARE! Yet another port with terrible optimization!

Has the first AC been the only one that wasn't totally fucked on PC? I remember AC2 had issues with drm, don't remember how Brotherhood and Revelations were.

nbthedude

As usual, we used an overclocked Q9650 (4.2Ghz) with 4GB RAM, an Nvidia GTX690, the latest version of the GeForce ForceWare drivers and Windows 7-64bit. Before continuing, let us tell you that the aforementioned system – despite the awful port that Ubisoft offered us – runs the game better than PS4 and Xbox One.

Eh, I'm running a i7 4770 and a 780, so I'm not worried. This sounds good enough for me.

LiK

i'm quite wearing after all the issues i had with FC3. Loved that game and it looked good but it crashed on me a lot.

On the other hand, their $15 standalone games like Blood Dragon and Gunslinger were solid.

Mononoke

Banned
That's a shame. As someone that has a high end PC rig, I got this for PS4 recently (just because I needed more games for launch). Normally I would have bought it on PC. With the 1080p patch +AA as well as 30FPS on lock, this runs perfectly on PS4.

Sucks the PC version is such a mess. =/ Then again, I've always found Ubi to be very hit and miss with their PC ports. Assassin's Creed PC version always had a locked 16.9 ratio, which drove me nuts on my 30 inch 16.10 (2560x1600p) monitor. Black bars are the devil. And even with some of the best PC specs around, Assassin's Creed III always ran like shit (a lot of stutter and FPS drops).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
useful thread, op, you saved me some money, I was considering it. Now I'll just get the WiiU version whenever becomes cheap enough

Brotherhood ran fine on my rig, sad to see Ubisoft is so damn inconsistent with these ports

nbthedude

If a 690 can't hold a stable 60fps, then I guess I shouldn't expect much with my 780

It's not well optimized for multiple cores according to the article, so I would guess the same would be true for dual GPU set ups (which is what the 690 essentially is). I bet the 780 would probabyl fair better, not worse.

I bought Splinter Cell for $25 on PC, ran like hot ass. Glitchy, patch 1.000 kept patching on start-up, framerate was really bad, didn't recognize the controller, the works. Terrible.

But Gunslinger and Rayman Legends were wonderful. Its a crapshoot with this company.

crozier

Damn,

AC4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Need For Speed: Rivals.....

What's next?
Next-gen is here. System requirements are only going to get worse, and anyone who bought a GTX 670 thinking they were set for the next several years is in for a rude awakening.

Glad I bought it on PS4 then. I'm not giving Ubi any money on PC ever since that awful Trials port
unless Rayman Legends is really cheap during the BF Steam sale

Glass Joe

Seems to be a LOT of these threads lately. Do these issues get sorted out? Or are the PC enthusiasts starting to get burned with bad ports?

I bought Splinter Cell for $25 on PC, ran like hot ass. Glitchy, patch 1.000 kept patching on start-up, framerate was really bad, didn't recognize the controller, the works. Terrible.

But Gunslinger and Rayman Legends were wonderful. Its a crapshoot with this company.

yeah Gunslinger ran well for me too, but I want to attribute that more to Techland than Ubisoft.

Far Cry 3 was a total fucking disaster.

epmode

Has the first AC been the only one that wasn't totally fucked on PC? I remember AC2 had issues with drm, don't remember how Brotherhood and Revelations were.

Aside from the usual Uplay garbage, AC2 and Brotherhood were excellent ports. I used a controller, though.

I didn't play Revelations but I have no reason to think it was a bad port. AC3 is when it went really downhill.

that awful Trials port

Don't remind me. So disappointing. Still runs like shit, Ubi still refuses to acknowledge a problem.

antitrop

Gunslinger was completely fucked for the first week or so.

It even had this crazy bug where you had to turn down your keyboard input rate because even if the game ran at 60fps it looked like 15. (also seen in Dead Island, same engine and all). It also had a locked FoV that made it look like the character's eyeballs were on his wrists.

The patch they released shortly after release fixed nearly every issue, though.

hlhbk

Next-gen is here. System requirements are only going to get worse, and anyone who bought a GTX 670 thinking they were set for the next several years is in for a rude awakening.

Oh please! This is not a lack of power from the hardware. AC3 ran the same damn way. This is UBI lying to its customers and making a shitty port.

This is a song as old as time. Old school PC gamers know the drill. It's only the recent pc gamers that are going to be surprised. The long lasting last gen spoiled them.

-Deimos

I have the same specs as the OP, how does it run? I never really noticed many performance issues with AC3 but I'm not really sensitive to that with these types of games.

Munin

I know man, almost as if...these were all different games by different developers.

Strange stuff.

hlhbk

I have the same specs as the OP, how does it run? I never really noticed many performance issues with AC3 but I'm not really sensitive to that with these types of games.

It runs like shit. I can be standing in an area where nothing is moving or changing and my FPS dips from 60 to 45 for 8 seconds and then back up to 60. One time it dove to 25! This all happened running at 1080P, turning shadows to normal, using FXAA, turning god rays off, Volumetric fog off, and motion blur off.

hlhbk

Has anyone figured out how to cap the FPS to 30? At this point I am willing to suffer through 30 FPS until either a patch comes out or I am able to hopefully get a PS4 mid December.

DrSlek

Shock horror.

Really though, this is always to be expected with Ubisoft. It's my second reason not to buy their games. The first being DRM.

The framerate's actually pretty solid once vsync is turned off. It could be better, but I'm reasonably satisfied. It's certainly no Deadly Premonition.

hlhbk

Shock horror.

Really though, this is always to be expected with Ubisoft. It's my second reason not to buy their games. The first being DRM.

I really thought the turned the corner after how brilliant Rayman Legends ran on PC :( ARG! I am so pissed I got the gold edition. Such bullshit!

epmode

Has anyone figured out how to cap the FPS to 30? At this point I am willing to suffer through 30 FPS until either a patch comes out or I am able to hopefully get a PS4 mid December.

If your monitor is running at 60hz, you can use the Nvidia Control Panel to cap the game at 30 FPS using Adaptive Vsync (half refresh rate). I don't know how well that will work with a 120hz monitor, though.

alf717

I only got to Havana but I feel like the performance is better than AC III. Not 60 FPS solid better but playable. Performance takes a dive for me when I use soft shadows.

AMD 940
AMD 7850
6GB of DDR2 800

Top Bottom