• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Just did that, now I have a new issue.
I can't see my paypal option when I try to purchase something eventhough it's already in my account (the steps said removing paypal first is not necessary, and I will have issues doing so anyway, since my subscriptions are tied to my paypal account)

You need to add the Paypal info to your other region as well. Having it there while in your main region has nothing to do with if it shows up in other regions. All regions have separate billing information despite your actual account MS being the same. I wrote about this earlier in the thread.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just heard that the PBR9002 error is because you have to wait 24 hours from adding paypal to your payment options before making the purchase.

Rourkey

Just heard that the PBR9002 error is because you have to wait 24 hours from adding paypal to your payment options before making the purchase.

That's not my problem as my paypal account has been added to my US account for 2 weeks, I tried the same with the canada store and added the payal account over 24 hours ago and still no joy.

Rourkey

Its still letting me buy stuff on my UK account though, I wouldn't be bothering with this hassle if games were a reasonable £40 (the same as amazon etc) but Paying £60 is just ridiculous!

Hammer24

Banned
Its still letting me buy stuff on my UK account though, I wouldn't be bothering with this hassle if games were a reasonable £40 (the same as amazon etc) but Paying £60 is just ridiculous!

I´d try to remove the paypal data from every billing account. Wait 24h, then re-add, on the US account first.

GD71

Banned
Just did that, now I have a new issue.
I can't see my paypal option when I try to purchase something eventhough it's already in my account (the steps said removing paypal first is not necessary, and I will have issues doing so anyway, since my subscriptions are tied to my paypal account)

I had to remove mine and re-add it before it showed up when in US locale. Even though I already had it added and used it for UK purchases.

edit: I purchased immediately too with no issues.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
Lets try to simplify this:

Any Micro$oft subscription (xbox live, Zune, etc) will create a Microsoft account.
Any region change (eg. On xbox.com) will create a kind of sub account.
Payment options are unique to region.
Paypal will have to be added to all regions.
Paypal wont work if you still need to verify it (go check your Paypal account).
You may have to add a valid card (Visa, Mastercard etc) before you can add paypal.
You can remove your card after Paypal has been changed to prime payment method.
You will need a valid Zip, state and phone number.

So, go to Xbox.com and change your region to US, Canada or whatever.
Go to your microsoft account (https://account.live.com/) and sign in.
WARNING!: M$ account may take a while to create your new region option! So...
Come back later.
When you have the option, select your new US Personal account (again, or whatever)
Add paypal.
Go change xbox region.

Buy shit.
Change back.
Be happy.

YOU TAX DODGING HIPPY!!!

Done this tons of times now and helped many others, so I'm adding my name here if people need help. Don't mind guiding people through over XBL if I have the time.

derfybzh

I have bought two games with my paypal account and now it won't work anymore. Last game bought was titanfall :/ I'm a sad Panda right now. Don't know what's wrong, I try to delete and add my paypal back but no luck ...

Kemaleon

Neo Member
A little googling shows a common problem. What region are you set as on Xbox.com? Try to change that too then try again. Or try to purchase from there. I bought Titanfall from Xbox.com on the bus on the way to work, called my misses later and git her to turn the xbox on so it was all installed and ready for when I got home.

Marriage has its benefits.

kaizoku

So - is this dead now? My mate can't do those steps any more :-(

I can't do it with paypal either, re- adding doesn't seem to work, maybe they've implemented a paypal address check as well so if your paypal address and xbox address don't match it errors.

I reckon MS credit should still work if anyone happens to have gone down that route.

It's a problem with payment option rather than account regions or anything like that.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
PBR9002? Payment Block Risk. It seems it may happen if M$ checks your billing address against what Paypal have registered and it auto flags if there is an issue. I can't confirm yet if it blocks all payment methods, haven't tried with my card. Any Guinea pigs out there?

This is entirely speculation, I'm working on it right now but I believe a simple phone call to Xbox customer service will fix it. Make sure you change EVERYTHING back to your home region first!

Of course it will be annoying if we have to do this after every couple of purchases, so I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

Hammer24

Banned
Have you guys made sure your PayPal is a verified account?
My PayPal is tied to my German address, but I can still use it no problem on the US market place.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
Ok so I spoke to Customer Services via online chat and my Paypal now works again. She didn't seem to know the reason why just something about verification.

She made me sign into my Micro$oft account, go to security and add an alternative email address and phone number. Once they were added and varified I tried again and bought Strider no problem. She wasn't sure why it happened but said "I assure you it will not happen again."

Don't know if she did anything else her end, but if someone with this PBR9002 error could go sign in here (https://account.live.com/), add an alternative email and phone number in the security menu then try a purchase again then we will know.

If it doesn't work then just contact support and ask them to sort it out. Good luck.

Ok so I spoke to Customer Services via online chat and my Paypal now works again. She didn't seem to know the reason why just something about verification.

She made me sign into my Micro$oft account, go to security and add an alternative email address and phone number. Once they were added and varified I tried again and bought Strider no problem. She wasn't sure why it happened but said "I assure you it will not happen again."

Don't know if she did anything else her end, but if someone with this PBR9002 error could go sign in here (https://account.live.com/), add an alternative email and phone number in the security menu then try a purchase again then we will know.

If it doesn't work then just contact support and ask them to sort it out. Good luck.

Why?

Just...why?

Happy to hear you got it working again though.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
Johnny C, does your bank charge you at all? Mine charges £1 so I guess they know its only supposed to be a US purchase, perhaps its dollars-to-sterling commision. Paypal is fully international so no charge.

derfybzh

I can't do it with paypal either, re- adding doesn't seem to work, maybe they've implemented a paypal address check as well so if your paypal address and xbox address don't match it errors.

I got same address on Paypal and xbox live account doesn't work either

GD71

Banned
Lets try to simplify this:

Paypal will have to be added to all regions.

My UK paypal showed up on xbox.com under my US account but not my xbox. I had to remove it and re-add it. Payment options may be different per region, but Paypal isn't. And its problematic if already added.

Siegfried

Another one with this issue. I got Strider, Thief and Lego last month, now I can't buy anything. I contacted support and the person said it was a security flag because I tried to purchase the game multiple times. What I did was press next once, the system gave me a message I had insuficient funds on my account, I pressed back, selected paypal and my account got blocked. I don't see how this is a reason for a complete lockdown on my account. I now have to wait 24-48 hours at least and I have nothing to play for the entire weekend, because I just finished my last game.

Anyone has an answer to what exactly seems to be the problem? Is it region related? I live in Brazil, but I buy stuff from Live USA.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
Interesting. I was buying Titanfall while on the bus on the way to work and the stupid phone browser screwed up a few times before the purchase went through, maybe thats why mine got PBR'd.

Like I said searching around shows that loads of people have had this problem, not just the tax-dodgers!

Why do you have to wait 24/48 hours?

FeiRR

Banned
I'd like to add something to the thread for those EU GAF people who live outside of UK and buy at Amazon.co.uk (this applies to Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Gibraltar, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Sweden). If you want to buy a game (or anything else) and it's cheaper than £25, you have to pay for delivery. However:

1. Add your item to cart and add another one which isn't currently available. I use the Dualshock 4 charger or camera. They're both missing in action since the launch. Remember that the other item has to be sold and fulfilled by Amazon.
2. Proceed to checkout, buy both things, choose "free delivery". Don't worry, you won't be charged until they ship.
3. Wait until you get an email from Amazon which says that they're dispatching the thing you ordered but the charger/camera isn't available so it will come later.
4. After shipping, just cancel the charger/camera part of the order.

I've repeated this procedure 3 or 4 times so far. The cheapest thing I bought were rubber caps for DS4 worth £3. They were delivered by courier as usual and I did pay £3 for them. I hope Amazon doesn't change their shipping policy if a lot of people start using it. Well, for the greater good!

Siegfried

Interesting. I was buying Titanfall while on the bus on the way to work and the stupid phone browser screwed up a few times before the purchase went through, maybe thats why mine got PBR'd.

Like I said searching around shows that loads of people have had this problem, not just the tax-dodgers!

Why do you have to wait 24/48 hours?

Because the support girl could not do anything to liberate the account, she had to escalate the issue to the advocacy team. As far I can see, everyone that has contacted support is being escalated to the advocacy team, who contacts you in 24-48 hours and is as clueless as everyone else on what's going on and how to solve it.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
As far I can see, everyone that has contacted support is being escalated to the advocacy team, who contacts you in 24-48 hours and is as clueless as everyone else on what's going on and how to solve it.
Then consider yourself lucky, from what I've seen everyone that gets elevated end up with a 3 month Gold code or a code to download a game!

Did you try adding alternative email/phone to your M$ account?

kaizoku

Then consider yourself lucky, from what I've seen everyone that gets elevated end up with a 3 month Gold code or a code to download a game!

I already had alternative email and phone number, tried adding them again, didn't help. Didn't bother with any of the other security options.

Did you just contact customer support and said you're trying to buy from the US store and it won't work???

Siegfried

I already had another email. Yesterday after all that I also added and confirmed a cellphone number, but I can't do anything until they manually lift the suspension. I'll be happy if I get a free game with this, if not then I'll be pissed, I was trying to buy a game yesterday because I had just completed the last game I had here and now I probably have to wait at least until monday morning to get something new...

The weird part is that it seems the suspension does not affect the 360. I tried to purchase South Park, but I think it's region locked here in Brazil. I know Dark Souls 2 isn't, but I don't wanna get it on the 360, I'm hoping for a next gen release with the ligh engine and better textures back.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
I used the Online Chat option from the support section of Xbox.com and spoke to an agent that way. Told them I made purchases recently with PayPal no problem and failed at Strider with the PBR9002 error. Told her I had googled it and that it was a block on my purchasing and not a PayPal issue so just needed block removed please. Make it as easy for them as possible, more often than not they are (respectfully) clueless and have only scripted responses/answers. I should have copied the conversation for you.

I told her loads of people had this issue on the internet, which is true, and that they posted that they had contacted support and had the block removed.

Ditto regarding Dark Souls 2, hope it comes to Xbone!

Siegfried

I used the Online Chat option from the support section of Xbox.com and spoke to an agent that way. Told them I made purchases recently with PayPal no problem and failed at Strider with the PBR9002 error. Told her I had googled it and that it was a block on my purchasing and not a PayPal issue so just needed block removed please. Make it as easy for them as possible, more often than not they are (respectfully) clueless and have only scripted responses/answers. I should have copied the conversation for you.

I told her loads of people had this issue on the internet, which is true, and that they posted that they had contacted support and had the block removed.

Ditto regarding Dark Souls 2, hope it comes to Xbone!

Well, I'm at the online support right now, waiting to get an update since I just found out I can't purchase things on 360 too. I will try to do as you say and see what happens. I'll update here in about 30 minutes.

So is this simply not working for Credit/Debit cards any longer?

Trying from the UK and it seems they've implemented an address check of some kind.

Could anyone perhaps tell me where I am going wrong?

I enter a fake address from Borderlinx and then enter card details, but it tells me that won't work.

A real shame, was hoping to save some money this way!

Siegfried

So is this simply not working for Credit/Debit cards any longer?

Trying from the UK and it seems they've implemented an address check of some kind.

Could anyone perhaps tell me where I am going wrong?

I enter a fake address from Borderlinx and then enter card details, but it tells me that won't work.

A real shame, was hoping to save some money this way!

Yes, that's exactly what's going on. The representative guy could not lift my suspension, he forwarded it again to the advocacy team, but I tried to talk with him and politely ask for more info (not that I wasn't polite the first time, I just tried to chat more and push for more info during the conversation).

First of all they are receiving A LOT of complains about that. He told me the user before me was someone from Argentina with the same issue. The issue is this: You are in one country and using the store for another country. I'm not sure if it's an IP check or an adress check. The fact is they are considering this a risky transaction and blocking it.

If it's paypal or microsoft that's doing this, he has no idea. He assured me multiple times there is no flag on my account preventing me from purchasing anything.

Let's hope this isn't the beggining of region locking. :(

Here are some quotes from the conversation:

Gian: at 17:07:22
Chances are the billing info of your account does not match with that of your paypal.

I explained what everyone here already knows, we have to use our local address on paypal so the credit card is not declined, but we uso another address on X-Box Live to register for the US store. He asked if migrating to Brazil would be a solution to my issue, but as everyone know, using our local store is not we want.

Gian: at 17:12:45
The issue here is that the system detects your IP address that you are in Brazil and your account is in US region.

And that's why I'm not sure if it's the address or the IP that's being checked.

Gian: at 17:29:26
It shows here that this needs to be escalated with our Advocacy Team so they can make changes on your account regarding the issue.

And that's why everyone gets escalated to the Advocacy Team, the tool tells them to do that and there's nothing they can do to help further.

Gian: at 17:32:22
The transaction was declined by risk and the reason is Account Country in Banned Country List.

Really weird considering Brazil is a tier one country.

Gian: at 17:34:02
Maybe this is something to do with using the paypal in Brazil yet your account is in US region.

Gian: at 17:39:25
I presumed this is an issue with the paypal's end. We do have recent issue though in adding paypal in the account. It needs to wait for 24 to 48 hours before the paypal can be used in purchasing items.

Again, he can't say if it's Microsoft or Paypal doing this, but paypal has been having problems with them recently. I also told my paypal account is not new and has been used before with success.

There are some things we can try to see what's going on:

purchase something from your local store using paypal.
use an US address on your paypal account (the same you use on your xbox).

Other than that, we wait to see what's going on and hope it's not region lock.

UPDATE: Another bit of info - the error will affect everyone. I just asked three friends that though their account was normal to try to purchase something using paypal, everyone is getting the same thing, PBR9002.

fireblade21

Neo Member
I haven't purchased anything on my US account since December last year and i went to buy titan fall and i got the PBR9002 Error so i had to settle for paying more to get it from the NZ store

Thanks to all of you posting about I decided I have to try buying something to see if I too get this problem with PBR9002. I don't. I'm using my card though, not PayPal. So try using your cards instead of PayPal until this is sorted out.

Kemaleon

Neo Member
I honestly don't believe this is anything directly to do with region changing/spoofing/tax-dodging. Have a google around of the PBR9002 error and you'll see this has been a growing problem for a while now with legitimate purchase attempts, some kind of poorly programmed auto check. The good thing is that as this is becomming a bigger and bigger problem stopping people from throwing money at Micro$oft, its far more likely to get sorted out.

I'll continue purchasing via this method to test the customer service agents' promise that "it will never happen again".

Not planning on buying anything else for a while though, got Battlefield Premium and not sure about a Titanfall season pass as I'm sceptical about it standing the test of time.

yatesl

I've not read the topic, but does currency get converted? i.e. Stick £40 credit on your account, then switch to US?

It's a shame if it's stopped. There's an Xbox One in the house that I don't touch as I have a high end PC, but I was looking forward to doing this if any niche games come out that don't launch over here (USA, Japanese etc)

Discs are still region free though, right?

I've not read the topic, but does currency get converted? i.e. Stick £40 credit on your account, then switch to US?

It's a shame if it's stopped. There's an Xbox One in the house that I don't touch as I have a high end PC, but I was looking forward to doing this if any niche games come out that don't launch over here (USA, Japanese etc)

Discs are still region free though, right?

Currency is not converted. Discs are region free.

Top Bottom