• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Costs $90 More to Build Than PS4, Teardown Shows ($75 Kinect 2)

The verdict from a report that IHS will release later today was shared exclusively with AllThingsD: The combined cost of parts and manufacturing everything that comes with the Xbox One — the console, the Kinect and the controller — comes out to $471, or about $90 more than the cost of Sony’s PS4, which debuted last week.

The Xbox One sells at retail for $499, giving Microsoft little, if any, room for much of a profit for now.

At least $75 of that cost is derived from the Kinect motion-sensing add-on that comes bundled with the console. (The PS4 has nothing comparable in its box.) But the biggest cost driver inside the Xbox console, said Andrew Rassweiler, the IHS analyst who led the teardown team, is the microprocessor from chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices. Like a similar AMD-made chip found inside the PS4, this one is a combination of a CPU and a graphics-processing unit (GPU) that handles gaming graphics. At an estimated cost of $110 — about $10 more than the AMD chip found in the PS4 — it’s the single most expensive component in the system.

The other major silicon inside the Xbox One (shown in an exploded view above) is the memory. Unlike the PS4, which used higher-end GDDR5 memory chips, the Xbox One contains older — more common and less costly — DDR3 memory. Memory chips came from SK Hynix, and added about $60 to the cost, or about $28 less than what’s found in the PS4.

The parts used to assemble the console itself — not including the Kinect, the controller or anything else — cost $332, Rassweiler estimated, meaning that the other items add about $139 to the cost. The controller costs about $15, and contains Wi-Fi and Bluetooth components from Marvell Technology.

http://allthingsd.com/20131126/micr...-more-to-build-than-sonys-ps4-teardown-shows/

At least $75 of that cost is derived from the Kinect motion-sensing add-on that comes bundled with the console

Wow that much to Kinect?

Lol how much did Sony pay AMD to get a significantly superior chip at the same cost?

Ubersnug

Wonder how much the PS4 camera costs to make and added to the BoM of the PS4. How comparable would the XOne and PS4 be then, BoM wise?

Interesting. Seems it would be cheaper than the PS4 if they made a Kinectless one. Thy can save cost by removing the sensor and hve the OS just run regularly. But seems they really are forcing it in people.

Interfectum

I think this says more about Sony than Microsoft. Kaz ninja move in February caught everyone off guard, especially MS.

Fuck, so at their current 'profitability out-the-box' approach, removal of Kinect would still not allow the system to go below $399.

Wow that much to Kinect?

Lol how much did Sony pay AMD to get a significantly superior chip at the same cost?

they got lucky

DDR3 prices spiked because of that Hynix fire in china and GDDR5 prices dropped enough to jump to 8 gigs

because MS decided to go with DDR3 they had to make up for the bandwidth with ESRAM which took away area from the GPU

The memory is the only thing more expensive in ps4 console than Xbox one by an amount of $28 and if you take that out the xbox one becomes even more expensive than the ps4

But the biggest cost driver inside the Xbox console, said Andrew Rassweiler, the IHS analyst who led the teardown team, is the microprocessor from chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices. Like a similar AMD-made chip found inside the PS4, this one is a combination of a CPU and a graphics-processing unit (GPU) that handles gaming graphics. At an estimated cost of $110 — about $10 more than the AMD chip found in the PS4 — it’s the single most expensive component in the system.

It's amazing they're paying more for a less powerful GPU.

skc

Banned
Isn't everbody missing something?

If my maths is correct, Sony makes an 18$ profit off their box while Microsoft makes $28.

No?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think you can see that Sony probably made some customization's there. They seem to have played it smart as it should be clear by now.

Sony got a more powerful chip at less the cost than MS?

I'm sorry but...
KuGsj.gif

If my maths is correct, Sony makes an 18$ profit off their box while Microsoft makes $28.

No?

Distributor margin, retail margin, cost of packaging/shipping, transfer pricing tax, other misc.cost.

BoM doesn't tell the whole story.

FWIW we have it at $493, I can't release the breakdown though because of a policy change at work. :(

We have both the PS4 and Bone costs slightly higher than the iSuppli ones.

Looks like ESram and Kinect really hurt MS on price .

FWIW we have it at $493, I can't release the breakdown though because of a policy change at work. :(

We have both the PS4 and Bone costs slightly higher than the iSuppli ones.

Suppose to ask but who do you think can cut cost faster MS or Sony zomg .

No?

I think that everyone is just surprised how much it costs Microsoft to make the box, especially the cost of the APU in relation to the PS4.

skc

Banned
Distributor margin, retail margin, cost of packaging/shipping, transfer pricing tax, other misc.cost.

BoM doesn't tell the whole story.

So they're both likely taking a bath on the consoles? I thought this gen would be different in that regard honestly.

Arttemis

The One's processor being $10 more expensive shocked me, but it must be the implementation of eSRAM and the additional complexity. The DDR3 cost differential still allows MS to save a few bucks overall compared to the PS4 architecture, but not nearly enough for it to seem worth it when these things will be competing head to head for the next seven years.

Steroyd

Like a similar AMD-made chip found inside the PS4, this one is a combination of a CPU and a graphics-processing unit (GPU) that handles gaming graphics. At an estimated cost of $110 — about $10 more than the AMD chip found in the PS4 — it’s the single most expensive component in the system.

That's impressive for the wrong reasons.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Seems it would be cheaper than the PS4 if they made a Kinectless one. Thy can save cost by removing the sensor and hve the OS just run regularly. But seems they really are forcing it in people.
I have an XB1, inserting an Kinect would be VERY painful indeed!

So they're both likely taking a bath on the consoles? I thought this gen would be different in that regard honestly.

Well it's not really that bad compare to last gen .
Can't remember MS numbers but Sony was losing $300 on each console early on .

Top Bottom