• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: FIFA Hijacks 2013 Edition, Now On Playstation 3 (Delete your credit card info)

All right, heads up. As you may have noticed, there has been mass password changes for a whole pile of PSN accounts. I have also heard reports of another round of FIFA related hijacks.

What?
The scheme works like this: hijackers take control of an account (the specifics are not yet clear, but I would speculate that they dupe Support into handing over passwords), loads up the account with credit (using any credit or attached credit cards) and then spends them all on FIFA Ultimate Team packs. They then proceed to "open" them and transfer the players to their own account (via the in-game transfer tools), to resell on the grey market.

You may be getting a sense of deja-vu over this: this is more or less the same thing that happened on Xbox Live last year.

I never played FIFA, am I safe?
No. As with last year, these are folks with discs, who obviously can play the game on any account they can gain access to.

Hah, my password is unique!
As with last year, this isn't a guarantee either. A user over on Something Awful has reported getting jacked despite using a unique, KeePass-generated, 20 character password. Hence my speculation above that duping Support is a key element in this scam.

Where did all this credit come from?
An interesting element in this year's jackings is that there's reports of people getting charged hundreds of dollars and then never spending them. I'm not sure why.

Help! I've been hijacked!
First, change your password and remove your credit card details. Next, go to SEN Support and request a refund. If necessary, contact your credit card provider or bank to get them to cancel the charges (but makes sure you contact SEN Support ASAP to explain yourself, lest they decide to ban you).

What can I do?
Change your password, even if Sony hasn't expired your password. Also, delete your credit card details. Both can be done online at http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com.

What can Sony do?
To their credit, unlike Microsoft last year, they're actually doing *something* (mass password changes) before this has become a big story. They should also put their Support on alert for scammers.

What can EA do?
The question is "what will EA do?" and judging by the similarity of this event from last year's shenanigans, it appears that the answer seems to be "jack shit".

HURR DURR SONY HAXED AGAIN
Get out.

tl;dr edition: FIFA hijacks again, this time on PS3, delete your credit card info and change yer password.

[I should also note that, thus far, I've only seen reports of Americans getting jacked. I would still advise everyone to be on guard, and delete their credit card info from their SEN accounts]

So what can EA do?
I would restrict transfers for a period of time for new players so that the scammers can't withdraw their ill-gotten gains. I would also ban anyone receiving large amounts of players multiple times from fresh accounts. They're the gatekeepers, they know who transfers what where.

Of course, whether EA will recognise this as an issue, never mind do anything about it, is another question entirely.

Damaniel

Banned
I got the email from Sony to change my password (which I went ahead and did), but I haven't had any unexplained charges or transactions (and my wallet still has the same balance that it has since I added the $10 promo credit I got with my PS4). Hopefully this doesn't affect too many people.

EA needs to track which packs particular ultimate team cards came from, and keep tracking this as they get traded around. Then, they can find the people doing this and ban/prosecute them. Of course, it's easier to offer refunds and do nothing than actually work to fix the root problem.

joeblow

So where's the link to Sony admitting that the FIFA hack is the reason for the forced-password changes?
It doesn't exist apparently. All speculation based on the OP. He just admitted it. Thread title should be changed to reflect that.

Zushin

Thanks for the thread. I deleted my CC info and changed my password yesterday just to be safe. Hate this sort of shit :|

jbug617

Banned
Speculation, yeah, but I've seen enough reports (mainly from Something Awful, admittedly, but at least one GAFfer has been hit) that I think it's a good idea for people to take precautionary measures.

Nick Chester (former Destructid and now works for Harmonix) got hit twice according to his twitter. First time it was Fifa 13 and the second time it was for Need for Speed.

Then this had no place being in your topic. For all we know they were hacked. Their silence on the matter isn't encouraging.

As I previously mentioned, this is suspiciously similar to last years' round of FIFA hax on Xbox Live. Considering the odds of both services having an exploit that enables someone taking control of their accounts shortly after the release of a new FIFA is so small as to be insignificant, I suspect it's duping support staff that's the problem, since that would be a common point of failure for both services.

And besides, using this as an opportunity to go HURR DURR SONY SUX XBOX ROX is a dick move in general.

Eusis

Nick Chester (former Destructid and now works for Harmonix) got hit twice according to his twitter. First time it was Fifa 13 and the second time it was for Need for Speed.
Which Need for Speed? The new one only has that all-upgrades-free thing, did Most Wanted have a lot of that garbage that was prone to abuse?

TheOGB

Banned
What the fuck FIFA
What the fuck EA
What the fuck

I'm just having a hard time understanding this and how it works, but it's baffling

AlexMogil

Just another reason to love micro transactions.

If this ever turns out to be true it really shows what what these companies think of us. Sony, Microsoft, EA, and *insert next company that allows transferrable content here* could do something about this.

Reverse charges = ban. Give me a break. FUCK OFF.

iceatcs

Crazy, there are ebay $120 for one million Fifa gold, still popular bidding.

Something need to be done. I think it is time to ban micro translation system.

Is EA to blame for this at all? Why does this only happen with FIFA?

Likely nothing to do with EA or FIFA cause the hack.
It is all because you can sell the FIFA gold for profit, currently ~$120 for 1m FIFA gold.

MrDaravon

For real; at what point does EA get sued, and how has this not already happened? I remember when this was happening on 360 there was at least some speculation as to who was at fault (MS, EA, or both) but if it's happening on PS3 EA is clearly the common link here. Absolutely ridiculous.

SnakeEyes

Banned
HURR DURR SONY HAXED AGAIN
Get out.
fuck-yeah-gtfo-l.png

(the image size is justified by the level of rage felt at the above bolded text)

danielcw

I would restrict transfers for a period of time for new players so that the scammers can't withdraw their ill-gotten gains. I would also ban anyone receiving large amounts of players multiple times from fresh accounts.

Would that be an annoiance for "normal" players?

Of course, whether EA will recognise this as an issue, never mind do anything about it, is another question entirely.

Yes, it is another question entirely, andf so far I don't see why it matters.
From my limited point of view, EA can only win, becasue they haven't done anything wrong.

The account issue seems to lie with Sony or Microsoft. Because they manage the accounts, and they are the waek spot here.
The real money purchases are handled via SEN or Xbox Live aren't they?

If EA does something, they are "winners",
and if they don't do anything, they don't deserve any blame.

From the OP it doesn't even sound like, that EA could warn people, becuse, if I understand it correctly, the customers may not even own any EA game, or have ever had any contact to EA.

So am I missing something here?

AlexMogil

For real; at what point does EA get sued, and how has this not already happened?

Plausible deniability of course. "Microsoft gave them the password."

And what's worse - Microsoft and Sony don't have to say dick because you don't technically own your account. Ask Sony if they will share your account notes with you.

I have a really OG gamertag and I've had to call Microsoft a few times to get my account straightened out.

"Let's bring up your account notes..."

(Page/Page/Page/Page) "Wow..." (Page/Page/Page/Page/Page)

Seems like there are a lot of notes - what do they say?

"Oh, we're not allowed to share for security purposes."

LegoArmo

They sell Ultimate Team coins on lots of sites, I think this is against EA's terms and conditions. Yet almost every popular FIFA YouTuber advertises these sites at the start of every video. EA bring these same YouTubers out to preview events all across the world.

There's a huge business in coin selling, and a huge business in stealing coins, players and real money from unsuspecting players.

It's really sleazy, and EA are apparently against it, but many YouTubers they work with use and advertise these sites.

Current prices are £10 per 100,000 coins in Ultimate Team.

UNCMark

Banned
As I previously mentioned, this is suspiciously similar to last years' round of FIFA hax on Xbox Live. Considering the odds of both services having an exploit that enables someone taking control of their accounts shortly after the release of a new FIFA is so small as to be insignificant, I suspect it's duping support staff that's the problem, since that would be a common point of failure for both services.

And besides, using this as an opportunity to go HURR DURR SONY SUX XBOX ROX is a dick move in general.

Saying that is always a dick move regardless of company, but it's disingenuous to imply that there's no way this isn't an actual hack given Sony's history.

Derrick01

Banned
I really hope your theory about support giving out passwords is wrong. Support should NEVER give out your password no matter how much you beg or blowjob offers you send their way. If you legitimately lost your password then oh well, they should send a reset email at most.

So why isn't EA doing anything about this?

Why would they? They're making money so fuck everyone else.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"what can sony do?"
add 2-step is a simple answer

Yeah, it's weird Sony is the only company (besides Nintendo) that doesn't do two-step for their online gaming service.

UNCMark

Banned
I really hope your theory about support giving out passwords is wrong. Support should NEVER give out your password no matter how much you beg or blowjob offers you send their way. If you legitimately lost your password then oh well, they should send a reset email at most.

Exactly. How is support at both MS and Sony getting duped into doing the one thing a CSR is taught to never ever do?

androvsky

Exactly. How is support at both MS and Sony getting duped into doing the one thing a CSR is taught to never ever do?
It shouldn't even be possible for support to get at your password. It's supposed to be a one way hash that can't be reversed without years of computer work.

panty

I'm not removing my cc info from the store, they have been there since the beginning and I'm alright. I'd like to think my passwords and computer knowledge are strong enough.

Fuck EA.

Top Bottom