• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

sinxtanx

71XFCil.png

http://projectmgame.com/en/

What's this?
This is the latest version of the popular mod for Super Smash Bros. Brawl called Project M, meant to make Brawl more like Melee while also making some other fun changes.
Version 3.0 adds in all remaining characters from Brawl that were missing in the last version, with the addition of Mewtwo and Roy, who have been carefully programmed and animated by the community to bring them into the game from Melee. This version also adds a new game mode dubbed Turbo Mode as well as alternate costumes for some characters.

Why this thread?
Project M 3.0 is a big milestone for what is easily the biggest and most impressive modding project for Brawl and for the enthusiast Smash Bros. scene.
This thread is here for people to discuss the mod release and to post impressions. Please act civilized towards one another, Smash Bros. is to be shared.

Announcement trailer for Project M 3.0

Scheduled release date: Monday December 9th 2013 Its out!
No. of characters: forty-one (41)
Is Smash Bros.: Yes
Requries an SD card, an NTSC Wii (apparently works with the Wii U as well) and copy of Brawl: Yes

Character selection screen:

i3U3aML.png

The official description for the mod reads:
http://projectmgame.com/en/about said:
Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters.

Project M is playable on ANY NTSC Wii, without any hardware modification, and even without any longterm software modification. All that is needed to get started is an SD card and a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

More like Melee means:

• No tripping
  • Faster gameplay and more responsive controls
  • No insta-kill stage hazards
  • If you wanna play competetively, wave dashing is possible
  • They also altered some characters' movesets to make them more fun/interesting to play as (Examples: Zelda can place fireballs like mines in the air, Samus can switch beam types, Pokemon Trainer is now three separate characters with more individual flair)

Playing competetively? Doesn't that mean this mod is no fun?
I take it you don't play video games. This mod is perfectly fine to play non-competetively. Yes, it is closer to Melee than Brawl, and Melee was a super fun party game enjoyed by millions. Also, this mod now has more characters than Brawl, which is the usual metric of fun for Smash Bros.

Mods are illegal! Nintendo will C&D this!
Yes, this can be a problem. If they actually do it. Which they haven't done for any of the gazillions of legal Brawl mods out there. The Project M team has been very careful to not include any characters new to SSB4 or indeed any characters that were not in Melee/Brawl, so as to not compete directly with Nintendo.

I don't want to brick my Wii.
You won't run any risk of that. Brawl modding does not make any permanent modification to your console. Here's what the official instructions say:
http://projectmgame.com/en/download said:
Please follow the instructions below. Note: The instructions are for Hackless method. If you're using a hacked method, simply delete any previous version of Project M, extract the files to your SD card then boot Homebrew and select Gecko OS.
1 Delete any custom Brawl stage files on your Wii and SD Card! Don't assume that because you haven't made any there aren't any; 3 custom stages are included with a new savefile of Brawl.
2 Delete any previous version of Project M from your SD Card and make sure the card itself is not named "Project M" or any derivative thereof.
3 Unzip the file and open the folder that comes out.
4 Move the contents of that folder to your SD Card.
5 Boot up Brawl and go to the Stage Builder.
6 Gecko OS will launch; select Launch Game.
7 You will see a straploader saying Project M 3.0. Additionally, if your menu image looks like the image below, then go ahead and play and enjoy Project M!

What is Turbo Mode?
They added a mode for 3.0 called Turbo Mode where you can do any move at any time(!). It looks like it is patently insane (and fun). Here's a video of Turbo Mode that also showcases some alternate costumes.

I don't like the stage/music selection.
The cool thing about Brawl modding is that if you don't like a thing, you can just switch it out (which is basically what Project M does to the entire game). Changing stages and music is as easy as replacing files on an SD card.

Where and how do I get this?
The mod files can be downloaded from the project homepage:
http://projectmgame.com/en/download

mirror

Patch notes

The site has a bunch of info regarding the mod in general if you're interested in knowing more about specific changes.

Pichu when?
O3rPq.jpg

bTVNdNO.png

Personal opinion:
Me and my friends played Melee a lot in middle school, and it was basically the best multiplayer game ever to us. Brawl was the same. I have no idea how many hours I've played Brawl, but I know I had fun the entire time. So why play this mod? Brawl already exists. I don't pretend to be good at Smash, but even I could feel the difference between Melee and Brawl. Brawl WAS slower and stricter but made up for it with an incredible amount of content. Project M is basically Brawl with MORE content and the faster gameplay of Melee. It's an amazing labor of love done by the community, and I see no reason to choose to play Brawl over this. More Smash Bros. is a good thing.

ALM5252

I play with the Classic Controller Pro now. I take that GameCube controller as an elitist thing. :p

It's more nostalgia than elitism for me. CCPro is awesome.
Haha. I know. I stopped using the GameCube controller because I been using the Wii U to play P:M lately. I adapted really well to it now, and I might as well continue it since Smash 4 is not compatible with the GC Controller. I don't plan on buying the Mayflash adapter.

Also, if some people are interested, I've made a Wuhu Island stage for Project M a while back.
Project M 2.6 - Wario (Izzy) VS Squirtle (Zant) on Sunset Wuhu Island

This is something else I've been working on too for Wuhu Island.
Wuhu Plane Ride v2

Looking forward to Turbo Mode and Mewtwo for 3.0! :)

j.rob

I can't contain my hype for this.

My girl samus is bacccckkkkkk. with dem new ice beam changes. And her charge shot actually kills now....and MISSILE CANCELING IS BACK.

finalllllyyyyyyyyyyyy.

collige

Banned
I've played P:M in the past and while it is definitely awesome, I like the craziness of Brawl- better. I do like what they did with Lucario though.

qq more

I play with the Classic Controller Pro now. I take that GameCube controller as an elitist thing. :p

GC feels honestly more natural for Smash to me. I can use CC Pro but it doesn't feel as comfortable for this kind of game. In fact, I can even say that it totally feels like the GC controller was designed for Smash Bros.

ALM5252

GC feels honestly more natural for Smash to me. I can use CC Pro but it doesn't feel as comfortable for this kind of game. In fact, I can even say that it totally feels like the GC controller was designed for Smash Bros.

I agree. And I think I read somewhere that that's exactly what happened during development of the GameCube and Smash Bros. Makes sense if true because Melee was the #1 game on the GameCube.
Don't think that has anything to do with anything. Lol

Anyways, I've just adjusted to the CCP and that's what I use at home. When I go to friends or local tourneys I use my GameCube controller.

Nudull

Banned

I've never minded the wiimote+nunchuck controls when I first played Brawl, but the GC controller feels a lot easier for me. Luckily, I do have one now, so it won't feel too awkward coming back into it.

Layell

I've been playing 2.6 for the past week and watching preview streams of all the changes. This mod knows how to make an interesting and fun fighting game, so many characters are actually good now. Anyone who got nerfed in Brawl to make the game less speedy has been brought back to Melee levels of awesome.

I would have never thought Ivysaur would be a good character but with the changes made Ivy is easily the most interesting character ever in a smash game.

The Lamp

God's gift to Smash Bros and the Wii all at once.

Move over, Vanilla Brawl.

At this point I don't even really care about Smash Bros. 4 all that much.

Haha. I know. I stopped using the GameCube controller because I been using the Wii U to play P:M lately. I adapted really well to it now, and I might as well continue it since Smash 4 is not compatible with the GC Controller. I don't plan on buying the Mayflash adapter.
I've recently switched over to the Classic Pro from the GameCube Controller, and it's taking a bit of getting used to. The hardest change is the placement of the left stick. Usually stick placement doesn't bother me at all, as I switch back and forth between consoles a lot, but it's killing me this time.

The movement my thumb makes to look left on the GC controller makes me look up on the CC Pro. It's especially bad since I main Lucas. Nothing says "Kill me with a charged Smash Attack", like using PK Thunder when you're right next to your opponent...

SmithnCo

Sucks that the Wii mode doesn't support WiiU Pro Controllers

Would be perfect......

I HATE tethering to wiimotes

Yeah, I have one of the mayflash Gamecube adapters and besides needing to be tethered to a wiimote it's perfect. I'd use my WiiU Pro if that was an option.

Beats

Been waiting for Samus since the beginning. I'm happy that she's finally here with some cool changes.

I know the netcode isn't that great for Brawl, but has anyone tried playing this on Dolphin Netplay? Is it any better?

Yeah, I have one of the mayflash Gamecube adapters and besides needing to be tethered to a wiimote it's perfect. I'd use my WiiU Pro if that was an option.

Yeah

Since I still have 4-5 gamecube controllers lying around I plan on picking up those adapters as well since i hear they are pretty cheap

Or I can just run this on Dolphin (since they fixed the Snake crashing bug) and use Xbox controllers (they work surprisingly well)

For those of you who plan to play on PC using dolphin and want to use a GC controller:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gamecube_to_usb/index.php

I have had the N64/GC model for about 6 months and it works really well. Granted, the N64 connector is like a vestigial organ at this point, but who knows, maybe I'll develop a thing for n64 games in the future. Don't forget the GC trigger fixer & manual on the product page.

For those lacking a game cube controller and don't want to buy used:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-White-Classic-Gamecube-Controller/dp/B0017KIBAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385065407&sr=8-1&keywords=White+Nintendo+Gamecube+Controller

shaowebb

6mdE2T2.jpg

He can L cancel again for pressure, his moves function like his melee move counterparts so they are safer, he can ledge recover off of flame choke. My main shall be played soon.

Kouichi

Love the OT title. The quote provided at the end is completely true!

I'm really looking forward to this. Project M is going to be my definitive Smash Bros. until the SSB4 comes out.

Drayco21

Excited for this. Smash 4 is the only game that could make me interested in a Wii U, and I have a feeling I'll enjoy this more anyway. Roy's our boy.

Chavelo

Worst timing possible for a release :lol
Finals week is next week. Guess no sleep for me anytime soon...

Is there a guide anywhere to set this mod up with Dolphin for PC? Would be rad to see how the models and stages look in the emulator.

hao chi

I'm really looking forward to having Samus back. I've never had a chance to try her against any human opponents since I picked her up near the end of my Melee playing days.

I'll have to finally mess around with the code though and see if I can give Link his 2.5 boomerang back. I couldn't stand using him in 2.6 so I just went back to 2.5.

I might check this out. At the very least, it'll make the arduous, awful wait for Smash 4 a little easier.

Well, maybe not. It might actually make it harder. Hmm...

Oni3298

Project M is the best mod I have ever played. Seriously, its amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who loved SSB: Melee.

Rayis

I need this in my life!, I've been playing the hell out of 2.6, it's insanely fun, december 9th can't come any sooner.

Top Bottom