• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Entire party system on XB1 being replaced, "may take up to a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is the same insider that told famousmortimer that the Party System would be completely broken at launch. Now he has some insight as to what they're doing about it.

http://doddscientifics.com/2013/12/...e-party-system-but-its-going-to-take-a-while/

Microsoft over the coming months will be replacing the entire party/notification/XBL-related UI parts wholesale. They won’t be fixing them like they previously had been telling developers. This is definitely a smart move and the right decision for the console longterm but it will have some fairly significant short-term implications. They likely won’t be finished until well into spring or possibly early summer (update: one of the sources of this story just told me “It may take up to a year” HOLY CRAP). With Titanfall and Destiny around the corner – two games that are built around online play and will require solid party infrastructure for working as a team… the news that the party system won’t be replaced by then is a kick to the gut.

Lots lots more in the link.

edit: famousmort says:

It may also be worth putting his original quote from the original story I did on this in the OP as it explains in technical detail why the party system doesn't work.

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

So instead of fixing this they are replacing it with an OS system like the 360. A good move. But if it takes a year - HOLY CRAPSTICKS!

Also this is NOT the same insider as cboat/thurway's "crashy snap apps" and such. You can read their previous insider stuff here: http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/...-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
A year? I call bullshit on this one.

Didn't this insider say party chat was crashing when moving from game to game as well?

Good news if the system ends up getting a complete overhaul, though.

BlindRage

A year though? That seems like a long time and many of the games they are banking on being money makers for them will be long released...

see5harp

The party system is pretty terrible but it's main use was in communicating with people across games. Assuming Destiny and Titanfall have decent in game party systems (should be standard unless you are dumb as bricks like Dice) with voicechat (should be standard unless they are completely oblivious like Guerilla) I don't see how this terrible ass party system will somehow hamper experiences in those games.

"With Titanfall and Destiny around the corner – two games that are built around online play and will require solid party infrastructure for working as a team… the news that the party system won’t be replaced by then is a kick to the gut."

A kick to the gut is a complete lack of a squad or party feature in a modern game. This guy was completely fine last gen playing games without cross game chat and somehow now with two multiplatform games it's essential for teamwork. That's sorta bullshit.

So they're gonna end up replacing it with what it is currently on the 360 probably. Dumb choice to ever use the current idea to begin with. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I didn't put this in the article (I may do a bigger update to it later... I just got off a 12 hour shift at work and got this info and posted it and I REALLY need to sleep).... but I asked if they have any band-aids planned for the current party system and he said none that he knows of.

It may also be worth putting his original quote from the original story I did on this in the OP as it explains in technical detail why the party system doesn't work.

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

So instead of fixing this they are replacing it with an OS system like the 360. A good move. But if it takes a year - HOLY CRAPSTICKS!

Thank god ps4 partys system is great.. They just need to increase the volume.. Crazy how sony nails this and Microsoft fumbled this..

Avallon

I don't like this guy. He's trying to get a job by piggybacking off of some developer he knows. It's clear in everything he writes.

BigDug13

Aren't actual games better off without out-of-game party chat? Titanfall should be full of teams using the game voice comms to coordinate, not so you can skype voice chat with friends across multiple games.

It's why console multiplayer now sucks and lacks community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom