• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 4chan posts... I cannot fathom anyone, even the absolute worst scum of the earth, making that statement in sincerity. The denial gland of my brain wants to believe it's just an obvious troll taken out of context, but of course it's not with all the phone calls. Why. I mean just... why.

On that note, Depression Quest is EASILY one of the most profound games released this year and this is... weirdly... unsolicited but... good... publicity... to maybe tell some people that it exists.

I wish there was some way to help her. I don't know what I'd do in that situation except wait for the internet bullies to move on.

Cowie

>goes to 4chan not expecting a racist/sexist backlash
rly?

Well, was it really a matter of 'going' to 4chan? I haven't followed the story for terribly long, but I don't think she 'went there' and posted her number asking for feedback. It seems like it was more.. she put a game on Greenlight, and that gave it enough exposure that the sexists came to her.

Those 4chan posts... I cannot fathom anyone, even the absolute worst scum of the earth, making that statement in sincerity. The denial gland of my brain wants to believe it's just an obvious troll taken out of context, but of course it's not with all the phone calls. Why. I mean just... why.

4chan.

this..

Not sure is the game bad or something?

Depends on your mood. If you are a depressing person you will identify with the game(or character) and say its good. If you are a happy person who doesnt believe in depression or never came in touch with it you will say its the biggest bullshit ever.

I would also advice to never post private contact information online if you're about to become a public figure.

Thats Rule 1 for People who are online : Dont post private information.

I can't understand why this sort of hateful backlash has appeared. It's so ridiculous. What is the point of such an attack?

I think the game is an interesting idea and I've voted for the game on greenlight.

Gotta love the first instinct to find something -- anything -- the target of harassment did wrong so we can put it on them and not on the people being shitheads.

Wonderful.

People saying shit about you on the internet is one thing, but when you start getting harassing phone calls it's entered the real world and is no longer just people being dicks, #dealwithit, etc. Plus,isn't that against the law?

They should make an example out of some of these people and start levying like 50,000 hours of community service or $500k fines. It's clear they won't stop being human garbage on their own. Maybe something like that would at least make people think twice.

MOPP 4

Banned
Dumbass goes on /v/ and then complains.

I spend my time on /v/ at work because for some reason military networks allow 4chan and it's safer for us. If you don't have thick skin and you're gonna bitch about the smallest thing don't go on any board on 4chan.

It's not for everyone.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The only boards remotely in the range of the post numbers are Travel and Transportaion and both are under the needed id.
This probably was not 4chan, or the images are modified.
Definitely not /v/ which is in the 222 mil territory.

Not hard to believe there are people that will cause harm to a female because she created a game and wants to publish it on Steam. I think this is some straight up fucking bullshit. I am extremely angry and even embarassed towards those who are harassing her.

I never heard of this game, so I cannot speak on its quality but remember Kim Swift was the original creator for Portal and we all know how awesome that game ended up being. We need to accept everybody, as a community of passionate gamers, and move past this 1940's mentality. I know, opinions and what not but ugh...

I hope she finds success and over come such bullshit. Sorry for rambling but this just really ticked me off.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Where does it say that she went to /v/ to invite this abuse? Cite your source.

And even if she went there to promote her game, how does that invite doxing and phone harassment?

Jebusman

Banned
What board was this? It can't be /b/, /v/, /vg/, or /g/ by the post numbers. Color looks like /v/ or /vg/ though. :/

It's very likely it's not actually 4chan, but one of the many other smaller chans using the same color scheme.

The post # is just too low to be any of 4chan's current boards. Not even the slow boards have posts down that low.

Orayn

I spend my time on /v/ at work because for some reason military networks allow 4chan and it's safer for us. If you don't have thick skin and you're gonna bitch about the smallest thing don't go on any board on 4chan.

It's not for everyone.

Am I missing the part where she actually posted on /v/? The story doesn't say she did, the screencaps aren't of posts by her, nor are they from /v/.

There is, however, a thread about this on /v/ right now suggesting that it may have been random mangry losers lashing out of the Mighty No. 9 community manager drama.

People saying shit about you on the internet is one thing, but when you start getting harassing phone calls it's entered the real world and is no longer just people being dicks, #dealwithit, etc. Plus,isn't that against the law?

They should make an example out of some of these people and start levying like 50,000 hours of community service or $500k fines. It's clear they won't stop being human garbage on their own. Maybe something like that would at least make people think twice.
The sad thing is, imagine being the target of this and calling your local police office, and how utterly baffled they might be in trying to unravel what you're even saying. It would take weeks for the case to escalate until it reaches someone who could potentially do anything about it, and by then the harassment would probably subside.

Classy.

kyser73

It's not for everyone.

Someone called her phone and jerked off at her. That's a criminal offence. Maybe she shouldn't complain about it, hey?

BbUAG_4CYAAkwsm.jpg:large

BbUAP94CcAEa_f4.png:large

These motherfuckers need Jesus.

When you start treating people like this because you think you're the only one who has problems then you don't deserve relief. You don't deserve respect, you don't deserve love. they really need to crawl the fuck back into their hole and stay the fuck off my internet.

It's like some shit a 13 year old writes while bitching about how he/she doesn't get along in school without realizing that they're pretty fucking shitty. To get you gotta give, and not everything is simple and fair, some people gotta work harder than others. But to get so jaded, self-absorbed, misogynistic, and self-righteous is damn near nauseating.

Hexa

It's very likely it's not actually 4chan, but one of the many other smaller chans using the same color scheme.

The post # is just too low to be any of 4chan's current boards. Not even the slow boards have posts down that low.

I wonder what board it is then.
While I can see /b/ being that bad, /v/ and /vg/ aren't. Don't get why everyone is bashing them here.

Nekofrog

Banned

It's not for everyone.

Get the fuck back to work, nonner.

Some Nobody

Unsurprising. The level of assholery has a direct correlation with the level of anonymity online. When you don't even have to have a name you really start saying terrible things.

I'm not really sure what to say though, because no amount of "speaking out" is going to do much of anything to deter people who are fucked up on that level (I'll be honest...that was some next-level anon fuckery), unless RL consequences are attached. Which would be nice, as nobody deserves to be harassed. Especially not for making a fucking video game.

sohois

Wait, where is it said that she actually posted on 4chan? I don't see anything in the article suggesting that, unless I'm missing the passage.

To be fair, "4chan" as an emergent entity produced "Katawa Shoujo", a shockingly genuine dating sim about women with physical disabilities. It was a game that saw a floor full of eggshells and managed to sensitively dance through all of them without a single crass misstep.

/b is fill of self-identified monsters, but 4chan on the whole are ok people. Judging all of 4chan on /b/ is like wandering into any OT girl-age thread and extrapolating to all of GAF.

It's not for everyone.

:lol

Just remarkable.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What I don't understand is, why there is this huge amount of hate? If someone makes a game you don't like, why don't you just... not play it? Even in this case, where one of the persons seems to be right (if this: http://www.depressionquest.com/dqfinal.html is the game), in that it isn't really a game, but an interactive novel, why so ofensive? Just give it a negative vote if you think it's doing badly what it wants to do?

Jebusman

Banned
I wonder what board it is then.
While I can see /b/ being that bad, /v/ and /vg/ aren't. Don't get why everyone is bashing them here.

A lot of people's experience with 4chan is from years ago back when it was a much more lawless domain and what few rules it did have m00t didn't try to enforce. One thing him and the mods do try to enforce is stopping exactly what happened here.

Also, this could've been any of the chans. 7chan, 4chon, 420chan, etc.

At the end of the day, assholes on the internet crossed the line and harrassed someone because they're doing something they don't like. This can't be argued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom