• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various Marvel vs. Capcom titles/DLC being delisted from XBL/PSN soon

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combofiend mentions UMvC3 and MvC2 in the title of his post and the first sentence, but only offers dates for UMvC3 and MvC3. Confusing, but will update when clarification is available. Full post below:

Get Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 before they go away!

The games that will be leaving the PSN and XBLA stores are:

- Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – PS3 / 360

- Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – PSN / XBLA

We currently have a sale going on PSN which will allow you a last chance opportunity to get DLC for these games, at a 50% discount. Stay tuned for details about any sales on XBLA.

The last day DLC content for these titles will be available is:

- 12/17 for PSN in North America

- 12/19 for PSN in Europe

The last day DLC content for these titles will be available is:

- 12/17 for PSN in North America

- 12/19 for PSN in Europe

- 12/26 for XBLA globally

Source.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's so sad to see this. It's just confirming people's fears about an all DD future.

And the fact that the licensing is so strict that we're never going to see a MvC4.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did he mislabel 2 in the title or write it wrong while saying

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's so sad to see this. It's just confirming people's fears about an all DD future.

And the fact that the licensing is so strict that we're never going to see a MvC4.

It's not as though physical copies are exempt from the issues of licence expirations, though that said it does take quite a long time for all of the remaining units to dry up so there is some level of recourse there.

Sigmaah

You've cracked the code.

If they're delisting them I can only assume they don't have to rights to do a re-release either. Or at least they aren't willing to re-sub on the rights to do it.
I gotta give myself false hope, I want this so bad lmao.

I like how they're on sale, rather than just free. They won't be able to sell them anymore after 2 weeks, but they gotta squeeze that cash from the fanbase right until the last dying breath.

CPS2

This really sucks. I wish Capcom would make a Marvel style game only with characters that they own so that licensing would be irrelevant.

Nabs

Now this is really interesting.

Back to believing.

Dueck

Banned
This basically pours gasoline on the fire that is "Shuma and Jill needed to be included with Ultimate." What a joke!

WanderingWind

It's not as though physical copies are exempt from the issues of license expirations, though that said it does take quite a long time for all of the remaining copies to dry up.

Sure, but if you wanted MvC2 bad enough, you could still have bought it ($100) until it was re-released. It's not happening here, yet, but again, this is one thing people dislike about an exclusively DD future.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

From what we know, Capcom is on very good terms with Marvel, it's just they decide to space releases out significantly now, especially considering how much saturation hurt SFxTK.

Also, things got fucked up because they had to accelerate the release of UMvC3 because of the tsunami and their 3-release deal was up once they put out Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins. I'm with Dahbomb now on this; the terms of this licensing deal are all kinds of wacky and confusing. I still think MvC4 is inevitable though; probably at the very end of next gen.

Capcom Cup is tomorrow, maybe a new deal or game will be announced, but chances are VERY slim.

Yeah the information in OP is inconsistent. I made a note of that at the top of my post. Note that the first sentence says MvC2 as well, so he would've had to mistype twice.

JaseC

Sure, but if you wanted MvC2 bad enough, you could still have bought it ($100) until it was re-released. It's not happening here, yet, but again, this is one thing people dislike about an exclusively DD future.

That's what I was getting at with the latter half of my post -- there being residual physical copies means hunting down one is an option.

Eusis

It's not as though physical copies are exempt from the issues of licence expirations, though that said it does take quite a long time for all of the remaining units to dry up so there is some level of recourse there.
Nevermind that there'll also be used copies. It's really the tradeoff: endless stock until it simply isn't offered anymore, or limited stock but the ability to hunt a copy down still.

Shame about the DLC though.

Silky

Banned
tumblr_mxkohmEwlB1r207qko1_500.jpg

boo dis mouse

JaseC

Nevermind that there'll also be used copies. It's really the tradeoff: endless stock until it simply isn't offered anymore, or limited stock but the ability to hunt a copy down still.

That, too, where applicable.

Dahbomb

There are some typos in the actual information.

It's not actually clear if its MVC2/UMVC3 or MVC3/UMVC3. There is no mention of Marvel: Origins either, you would think that if its a licensing problem they would de-list that too.

Bad news all around, hope there is some light at the end of tunnel. This coukd in fact be the final nail in the coffin.

Blackage

Losing costumes is one thing, losing a way to download Shuma/Jill is losing out on a piece of the gameplay.

What's gonna happen when this happens to SF x T? Is the DLC for 12 freakin chars gonna go poof too?

WanderingWind

From what we know, Capcom is on very good terms with Marvel, it's just they decide to space releases out significantly now, especially considering how much saturation hurt SFxTK.

Also, things got fucked up because they had to accelerate the release of UMvC3 because of the tsunami and their 3-release deal was up once they put out Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins. I'm with Dahbomb now on this; the terms of this licensing deal are all kinds of wacky and confusing. I still think MvC4 is inevitable though; probably at the very end of next gen.

Capcom Cup is tomorrow, maybe a new deal or game will be announced, but chances are VERY slim.

I'll hold out hope, but I don't think I'm as hopefully as you. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my words.

That's what I was getting at with the latter half of my post -- the nature of residual physical copies means hunting down a copy is an option provided you don't leave it too long.

Right. Which is what I am also saying. A non-zero option is better than the possibility of a zero copy option.

Valnen

Super disappointing. Was really hoping this would see more support some day but it seems Capcom just doesn't care.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I rather have them use the Marvel engine and make a Capcom All Star fighting game.
TBH I would too. But I also want the Marvel engine (or at least something designed similar) to be the base for every fighting game. So much freedom and flexibility.

It's long requested and overdue.

Dahbomb

Losing costumes is one thing, losing a way to download Shuma/Jill is losing out on a piece of the gameplay.

What's gonna happen when this happens to SF x T? Is the DLC for 12 freakin chars gonna go poof too?
Yea this is a big issue brought up in the FGW. If a console does not have Shuma/Jill on it then that console cannot be used in tournaments period.

If Capcom is OK with this then they truly do not give a fuck about the game competitively.

Ghazi

I like that only the dlc is on sale and not the games.
Well.. I mean most people who want the games probably have it by now. But, yeah, I guess this could push some people to buy it. I actually wish the games themselves were on sale, my UMvC3 disc is getting messed up.

Diebuster

Capcpom strikes again. They really need to hire a proofreader.

If MvC2 is the one going away, I'll pick it up since it's already on sale anyway.

Nudull

Banned
Such a shame. Glad I kept MvC 2 on my PS3 after all this time, but I won't be able to get any of the DLC for UMvC 3, now.

vocab

Capcoms relationship with namco is much better with them both being japanese and all. Its less likely to happen, but i imagine the dlc would go down as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah the information in OP is inconsistent. I made a note of that at the top of my post. Note that the first sentence says MvC2 as well, so he would've had to mistype twice.

Yeah, that plus the XBLA PSN distinction makes it seem like 2. But only 2/ult 3 still leaves vanilla 3 which seems weird.

Top Bottom