• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age Inquisition progress update and screenshots [Up: Additional Screens]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype hype hype.

Some perty art:

"And their bones shall spread across the land, the remains of an empire lost to folly."

BcRN3kJCcAA_6oJ.jpg:orig

"In places untouched by the feet of Man, in shadows unspoiled by the fires of Right."

Bc1RYgWCUAAJy9z.jpg:orig

"Here lies the abyss, the well of all souls. From these emerald waters doth life begin anew."

BdZUMnCCQAAeqio.jpg:orig

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/12/19/mark-darrah-an-update-on-dragon-age-inquisition/
The Xbox One and PS4 are out, and the dust is starting to settle at the start of a new console cycle. As a result, now is a good time for us to start talking to you, our fans, more about where Dragon Age: Inquisition is at.

What have we been working on? Dragon Age: Inquisition has come a long way in the last three months. Today, I’m going to share with you some of what we have been up to since PAX. That way, when we dig in deeper a little later on, you will be up to speed.

You may have heard some talk about a “Holiday Build” for Dragon Age: Inquisition. So, what is this? These types of builds go way back in BioWare’s history. Effectively, they are builds we create around the holiday break that are packaged in a way that allows the team, and other parts of BioWare, to play the game in as complete of a state as we can get it.

1. In this case, our Holiday build is focused on these areas:
  2. The main storyline completely playable from beginning to end: This allows the story to be experienced in an interactive state, and lets us get pacing and spacing right.
  3. All of the gameplay systems working together: This means that you can experience the game as it is intended to be experienced, with each feature feeding into another.
  4. Starting VO recording for large parts of the game (More on this later).
  5. Getting music in (More on this later).
  6. Making sure that each class has a distinctive feel: Making sure that the party is a necessary and exciting part of combat (More on this later).
  7. Getting our tech locked down: For example, here is a tarnish shader going in.

IMAGE01.jpg

8. Getting a lot more content a lot further along: Things like Trees:

IMAGE02.jpg

Dead things:

IMAGE03.jpg

Outfits:

IMAGE04.jpg

IMAGE05.jpg

Faces:

IMAGE06.jpg

And, of course, areas:

1502730_10152061208634367_1259265846_o.jpg

Bb8wF2PCIAAETWk.jpg:orig

JaRyWlz.jpg

nJbyIjS.jpg

IMAGE07.jpg

IMAGE08.jpg

IMAGE09.jpg

Areas form a huge part of the content in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It is very important to me that the game cover a large variety of locations. Not only does it expand the possibilities of our storytelling, it also gives us an opportunity to show a lot of different things. In a game that places a lot of emphasis on discovery, this is very crucial.

Part of this process is about getting the areas into a state where they can be fully critiqued. Let me show you an area shot going through this process (can you guess the area?):

IMAGE10.jpg

As you can see, an initial screenshot is critiqued and altered to show the goal for the area. This gives the level artist the specific direction needed to take the area to the next level (so to speak).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Part of this process is about getting the areas into a state where they can be fully critiqued. Let me show you an area shot going through this process (can you guess the area?):

IMAGE10.jpg

As you can see, an initial screenshot is critiqued and altered to show the goal for the area. This gives the level artist the specific direction needed to take the area to the next level (so to speak).

Redcliff looks a bit different these days.

Das Ace

I do like this more laid back approach they've taken with their updates. At least, compared to how they did it with DA:2.

Looking forward to this. Dragon Age 2 was frustratingly mediocre. Hopefully the issues they resolve doesn't mean we get a host of other unpleasant decisions in 3. I loved the combat in 2 and it looked pretty great, but there was a large amount of complaints that simply weren't there for DA1.

Staf

Meh, looks good i guess. Kind of lost interest in the franchise after they turned it into Mass effect with swords and magic in the second game.

Is this confirmed for PS4/X1? If so, I'll just get it on PS4.

I'm really looking forward to this, and like many - hope it's more like Origins than the turd that is DA2.

Zen

Banned
This might be the first good Dragon Age game (by good I mean one that I've enjoyed). Dragon Age one really... really dragged and Dragon Age 2 kind of borked everything that was good about the original. Here's hoping the new technology and influences allow them to hit it out of the park.

I mean I'm excited to play it and I enjoyed DA2 for what it was. But Bioware has already lost the spot of best rpg maker for me, that goes to CD Projekt, even with only 3 major games in their history.

Modern Bioware has gone on to enjoyable developer.

Some of that looks nice, sure, but maybe I've completely lost interest in DA, I don't know. I'm just not getting all that excited about this. It can look as nice as it wants, but thinking about cheesy dialogue and fanserviced companions makes me cringe.

I will say that that blog post was nicely put together, however. Straightforward and informative without being flashy.

I'm probably a sucker, but I am really looking forward to this.

I think they learned their lesson. They have a lot to make up for... we still can't have a news thread about DAI without it turning into a shit on DA2 thread.

I could never get used to playing Dragon Age games on the PC... so much to look at, so much to try to do in rapid succession. I really need to give it another try if my no-console future is going to work out...

Bsigg12

When is this supposed to be out? For their sake, it better be as far away from The Witcher 3 as possible. Other than that, I'm slowly getting hype for the game the more we see it.

When is this supposed to be out? For their sake, it better be as far away from The Witcher 3 as possible. Other than that, I'm slowly getting hype for the game the more we see it.

I think it's the Witcher team that needs to worry about Dragon Age. The general masses would probably choose to buy this over Witcher 3. Sure most gaming geeks would know which one is better, but it won't matter if the Witcher 3 bombs/gets as pirated as the second one did.

The blind faith I had for Bioware ended after ME3, As the current trend of mediocrity from DA2/TOR/ME3 along with EA still involved then it doesn't matter what footage they show i'll still be going for fan feedback regarding future bioware games. Looking good is the least a next gen game should be focusing on.

ironcreed

Banned
I think it's the Witcher team that needs to worry about Dragon Age. The general masses would probably choose to buy this over Witcher 3. Sure most gaming geeks would know which one is better, but it won't matter if the Witcher 3 bombs/gets as pirated as the second one did.

Bleh, I want to play them both. I'm not pinning either one against the other.

I need more Dragon Age. I loved Origins/Awakening.

this, except I'll go on to say

I need more Dragon Age. I loved Origins/Awakening, a lot of things about 2, all three novels and the current run of Dark Horse comics. And I'm even playing the really stupid current iOs game even though it's really stupid.

I think the forested environments looks pretty bad but most of the other stuff is decent to good.

The pointed studs on the armor could use some work. They don't seem to be doing anything to the leather. Literally just 4 polygons sticking out of a glove. Maybe not even that

Patryn

This gets me excited for the next Mass Effect more than anything else.

Damn Frosbite, you sexy.

I need to see more to see what the next Mass Effect IS before I get excited about that. I feel that series is on a tipping point, whether it wants to retain its action-RPGness or move in a more Uncharted direction.

And I know people will point to statements from the team, but to me they mean shit until they show off the game. Show stuff off and I can judge for myself.

kma780

Neo Member
The picture with the critiques for the artist is super cool. Its incredible how much attention to detail one screenshot requies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom