• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

Substance Engine is an algorithmic texture generation middleware and according to benchmarks published on GamingBolt the PS4 CPU is faster than the Xbox One:http://gamingbolt.com/substance-eng...eneration-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

Both systems have 8 core Jaguar based CPUs from AMD, but prior to release Microsoft was promoting the fact that their CPU was clocked higher at 1.75Ghz. The benchmarks here imply the PS4 CPU is actually running at 2Ghz in order to produce 14 MB/s versus 12 MB/s for the Xbox One. The other possibility is that these figures are for the whole CPU and not a single core as labelled. In that case it would imply PS4 is using 7 cores at 1.75Ghz versus 6 cores at the same frequency.

Since this tech is purely algorithmic on CPU and not boiund by bandwidth we can't look to the PS4's GPU or GDDR5 to explain the difference. The only logical conclusion is the PS4 has a faster CPU, despite Microsoft's protestations to the contrary.Sony has never officially disclosed the PS4's CPU clockspeed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the greater likelihood is that the PS4 has less cores reserved for the OS. GopherD said they were aiming for less than 1 core.

Both CPUs are ass. This is kind of a non-story, so I don't see much controversy.

Oh there will be controversy. And yes, both are ass. But as you should well know by now, console talking points generate mucho controversy for even the most menial of things.

Both CPUs are ass. This is kind of a non-story, so I don't see much controversy.

Yep, one is a little bit less shit than expected
still better than the other way around obviously

But you know how people mock the 380percent wii u sales increase as lol 3.8x 0 is still 0
this is like that but with a smaller increment

S¡mon

Banned
I think the greater likelihood is that the PS4 has less cores reserved for the OS. GopherD said they were aiming for less than 1 core.
Less than 1 core? I think it is more likely that they reserve full cores, instead of XX% of one core. So that probably means either 2 cores (like Microsoft) or 1 core... but less than one core, I don't believe that.

EDIT Oh, and I think they have reserved at least two cores. Multiple apps can run side-by-side and stuff like the microphone is also always-listening for "PlayStation [take screenshot/home screen/etc.]" commands.

jaypah

Since this tech is purely algorithmic on CPU and not boiund by bandwidth we can't look to the PS4's GPU or GDDR5 to explain the difference. The only logical conclusion is the PS4 has a faster CPU, despite Microsoft's protestations to the contrary.Sony has never officially disclosed the PS4's CPU clockspeed.

I don't recall MS saying that their CPU was faster than PS4s, just that it was faster than it used to be. I think fans came up with that by using the 1.6 from the rumors/leaks. I could be wrong. Anyway, this is cool, thanks for posting.

cboat ass storm?

Lol everything is always the "ass storm".

Krakn3Dfx

please-stay-calm.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
S¡mon;94263562 said:
Less than 1 core? I think it is more likely that they reserve full cores, instead of XX% of one core. So that probably means either 2 cores (like Microsoft) or 1 core... but less than one core, I don't believe that.

Oh yeah, I agree. I meant to say that the 7 core possibility lined out in the OP was more likely and I'm just going by what the gopher said.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are you new to console wars? The point is not how good they are. The point is one is better than the other one.

I'm aware. That post is just my way of bringing a little perspective into this before the fanboys are at each other's throats.

CDV13

Are you new to console wars? The point is not how good they are. The point is one is better than the other one.

Well that dude doesn't care haha. If it is on a console and not PC he is going to attack it. There was a PC thread that was embarrassing a few days ago....he was in there just bashing everything he didn't agree with. It was entertaining to say the least.

S¡mon

Banned
Seems strange Sony wouldn't promote this. They've promoted every other tech advantage why not this.
They have been advertising with "The most powerful next-gen console" - and that's still going. If it weren't true, than they probably couldn't do that.

Oh, and there's a good reason not to promote the clock speed. Take Xbox One's 1.75 GHz clock speed... 'casual' customers would probably think "Only 1.75 GHz? My PC is already way above 2 GHz / my phone already has a similar clockspeed".

Sony has been advertising the CPU in a different manner. "Supercharged PC architecture", "powerful 8-core/octo-core CPU" (casual customers: eight cores?! Wow, that's quite a lot.)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
12 -> 14 = 6 -> 7

As in 6 to 7 of 8 available cpu cores.

That only works if they are both the same frequency. Also the graph says 1 CPU, but maybe they are talking about the package and not core.

H6rdc0re

Banned
It seems the cores are running at a higher clockspeed in the PS4 because the benchmark is running on a single CPU core.

Top Bottom