• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Hideki Kamiya's new project "in motion" 2014

kitsuneyo

Via Kotaku and Nintendo Everything:

This week's Famitsu has a feature on some Japanese devs' new year's resolutions for 2014.

Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya said:

There’s a lot I hold dear in making games, but I think for developers, having fun is most important. The atmosphere of the workplace shows clearly in a game’s quality, so I want to treasure a team atmosphere where each member can have fun developing games. Also, 2014 will be the year where a new project will fully be set in motion. I want to boldly and happily walk that path without fear of failure.

So GAF, will he stick with Wii U and make another probable flop? Try his hand at 3DS, since judging by Twitter he's been playing that system a lot? Or go with the home system that will probably be Japan's most popular this gen, PS4?

Will he get a bash at Star Fox or another Nintendo property, or will it be a new IP?

Personally I see him making something new for PS4, although as a Wii U owner obviously I'd like another Kamiya game on there.

Searched and found nowt. Leave to rot on the shelf like W101 if old.

antitrop

I've been a Kamiya fan since Devil May Cry (I was LTTP on RE2), I'm sure whatever he puts out will be genius (and hopefully multiplatform).

Riki

Doesn't he have a lot of creative control at P* though?

He does. But Platinum is still a for hire studio.
If Microsoft pays him to make a XBox One game, that's what he'll make.
If Nintendo asks for another game from him, then we'll get that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see Nintendo funding a third game from Platimum while Bayonetta 2 is still in production and just off the back of The Wonderful 101's market failure. I doubt it's anything from Sega either, who seem quite happy to drop Platinum now that their run of games is well over. I figure Konami will greenlight Metal Gear Rising 2 if they haven't already, but I don't think that would be a Kamiya game.

Who knows?

antitrop

I don't see Nintendo funding a third game from Platimum while Bayonetta 2 is still in production and just off the back of The Wonderful 101's market failure. I doubt it's anything from Sega either, who seem quite happy to drop Platinum now that their run of games is well over. I figure Konami will greenlight Metal Gear Rising 2 if they haven't already, but I don't think that would be a Kamiya game.

Who knows?
Twist: It's a PC exclusive funded by Kickstarter.

Riki

Who knows?

That is very hard to say. With Nintendo needing to fill out their WiiU lineup, they could very well keep contracting Platinum out, even knowing full well their games won't push big numbers.
But at the same time, we've heard rumors of Microsoft wanting a Platinum game.
I don't see any other third party publisher wanting them to make anything right now, though.
Personally, I'd give the edge to another WiiU game, followed by XBoxOne.

kewlmyc

I will be happy with whatever Kamiya makes, just no more console exclusives. I understand W101 and Bayo 2's case, but my heart can't handle more.

jbug617

Banned
With W101 bombing super hard and Bayo was also a big failure sales-wise as well I doubt big publishers like Microsoft will be asking for Kamiya games anymore.

I don't think MS is picky when it comes to Japan support especially if it's an exclusive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Twist: It's a PC exclusive funded by Kickstarter.

Saying I get to pick the ceiling for how much money I want to give Platinum Games for a Kamiya project is dangerous to my bank account.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That is very hard to say. With Nintendo needing to fill out their WiiU lineup, they could very well keep contracting Platinum out, even knowing full well their games won't push big numbers.
But at the same time, we've heard rumors of Microsoft wanting a Platinum game.
I don't see any other third party publisher wanting them to make anything right now, though.
Personally, I'd give the edge to another WiiU game, followed by XBoxOne.

Nintendo also need to sell. their collaboration with PG seems it just don't work. I don't see them doing anything with PG unless Bayo 2 sold very well somehow (highly unlikely)

I don't think MS is picky when it comes to Japan support especially if it's an exclusive.

Microsoft might want a Japanese games but I doubt they'll want a "Kamiya game" because they will need a "big seller" in Japan to move some Xbox One units. it might be like MGR with already known IP that Microsoft own and without Kamiya on board .

Whatever he goes, I follow.

bueno.jpg

This.

I have to admit, Im salivating at the idea of finally sinking my teeth into TW101 too...Maybe I am a bit too stubborn for my own good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
To this day, Microsoft funding Blue Dragon confuses me.

"That PS2 them there had some Japanese RPGs and this one in particular has art done by the guy who did Dragonball Z."

"Green light."

EVERY. SINGLE. PAYCHECK. Gimme that reward tier where you get flown out to dinner with Kamiya and everything.

"What will you have? The roast duck or shit?"

Riki

Nintendo also need to sell. their collaboration with PG seems it just don't work. I don't see them doing anything with PG unless Bayo 2 sold very well somehow (highly unlikely)

Nintendo is caught in a very odd position, though.
They need games that sell, but their sellers aren't even selling.
This might be a case of "Fund everything we can and hope something sticks" at the moment (thus, Zelda Musou).
I can easily see them contracting a third game out right now.
But I can also see Microsoft wanting something, just to say they are supporting XBox in Japan.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Bayonetta 2
Metal Gear Rising 2 (C'mon you know it's happening.)
New project.

That's quite the workload.

popyea

Probably not a sequel to anything, so either a new game using an existing IP, or a new IP entirely. Either way, I'm down for it.

Top Bottom