• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Avery Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
RIP James Avery.

Uncle Phil is probably one of the best TV dads in Television history, and I'll always love the Shredder.

There was also this great documentary on Netflix about the history of blacks in the United States that he was the host/narrator for. I wish I could think of the name, but it was really good. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Found it, it was called "A History of Black Achemivement in America." Very fascinating and insightful documentary. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I will check it out.

NastyBook

This one sucks. I still remember that episode of Fresh Prince where he sat on the bed the kids were hiding under, and their limbs comically shot out and began writhing. Shit was probably their best visual gag on the show.

I'm mad now that I won't ever see that Captain Simeon reboot I'd been holding my breath over for.

R.I.P. Mr. Avery.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
iWxcIlpv7ZtLm.jpg

:(

Ezalc

RIP, one of the best dads in TV. Also the voice of the shredder in the classic cartoon. This guy always seemed really chill in his interviews.

He will be missed man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when people say Shredder... are you talking about TMNT Shredder?

TMNT1987_Shredder.png

this guy?

Iztli

This hit me kinda hard as he was part of my childhood. He played a very strong and good father figure on tv. Being one without a father, I looked up to him. RIP James Avery

Anth0ny

FUCK THIS MAN =(

2014 sucks already :(

RIP Uncle Phil

Scary thing is I just opened my Fresh Prince season 1 DVD like 4 days ago and was going to marathon the entire series. So sad now...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This one hurts so hard. I was thinking about the stuff I'd grown up with in the past week or so, and James Avery's voice or presence in some shows was one of them.

The last thing I probably saw him on was when he was playing a judge on The Young and the Restless, and I always thought he was good at the role (even if it was an extension of his role on Fresh Prince). I think that might have been his last major role on TV.

I grew up hearing Avery as Shredder, Uncle Phil, the cartoon version of Junkyard Dog, Turbo in the Rambo cartoon, Alonzo Sparks, and a bunch of random movies my parents watched. He was also Boss Fang in the English dub of Fist of the North Star.

It's sad to see someone so prolific (to me, anyway) go. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom