• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Real Possibility of Imminent Change to Nintendo's Strategy (at Q3 Results)

As we all know, Nintendo is struggling right now in its home console business. Wii U sales are far below corporate expectations.

Recent examples of Nintendo's struggle:

• Wii U sold-through 223K to consumers in the USA in its 2nd November. This is incredibly worrying for Nintendo's December overseas performance, because it's very underwhelming compared to expectations (for reference, the failed GameCube sold 424K in its 2nd November, 751K in its 3rd November, and 350K in its 4th November).

• Wii U games (like Super Mario 3D World) are not appearing in the recent UK Top 40 charts. A common joke on GAF is how Knack has been frequently out-ranking Super Mario 3D World.

• Wii U marketshare in Europe (in the first five months of the FY) has been approximately 4.3%. In Q2, Wii U shipped a negative amount of consoles to European retailers (consoles were returned to Nintendo of Europe from disgruntled retailers). That has never happened to a still-living Nintendo console before.

• So far, Wii U has been selling somewhat decently in Japan for the past few weeks (and horribly before that), but overseas (USA + Europe + Other) sales are more important for Nintendo in this scenario. Dramatic overseas underperformance outweighs decent performance in Japan, as shown here:

80.6% (39.5% Americas, 37.1% Europe, 4.0% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2008
    87.5% (43.3% Americas, 39.5% Europe, 4.7% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2009
    84.1% (44.8% Americas, 33.3% Europe, 6.0% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2010
    83.4% (45.5% Americas, 32.5% Europe, 5.4% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2011
    77.1% (38.8% Americas, 33.6% Europe, 4.7% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2012
    67.1% (37.2% Americas, 26.7% Europe, 3.2% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in FY3/2013
    65.7% (39.2% Americas, 23.6% Europe, 2.9% Other excluding Japan) of total sales were overseas in the first six months of FY3/2014

^ Nintendo made their greatest profits when the amount of overseas sales was >80% and the proportion sold in Europe was >35%.

• In the first six months of the fiscal year, hardware and software shipments have been FAR below Nintendo's expectations:

Nintendo's FY Estimates:
    Wii U Hardware: 9.0 million units shipped to retailers in one year (12.45 million total) (April 2013 - March 2014)
    Wii U Software: 38.0 million units shipped to retailers in one year (51.42 million total) (April 2013 - March 2014)

Nintendo's FY Reality:
    Wii U Hardware: 0.46 million units shipped to retailers in the first six months
    Wii U Software: 6.30 million units shipped to retailers in the first six months

Remaining:
    Wii U Hardware: 8.54 million units shipped to retailers in the remaining six months (11.99 million total)
    Wii U Software: 31.7 million units shipped to retailers in the remaining six months (45.12 million total)

• Analyst consensus for Nintendo's operating profit is far below 100 billion JPY

Net Sales (Nintendo's Prediction): 920.0 billion JPY
    Net Sales (Analyst Consensus): 804.35 billion JPY
    * Net sales is total revenue from software / hardware / royalties minus discounts / returns / allowances.

Operating Profit (Nintendo's Prediction): 100.0 billion JPY
    Operating Profit (Analyst Consensus): 56.14 billion JPY
    * Operating profit is how much profit Nintendo's core business makes after all business-related expenses / depreciation

Net Income (Nintendo's Prediction): 55.0 billion JPY
    Net Income (Analyst Consensus): 47.10 billion JPY
    * Net Income is how much money Nintendo earns / its bottom line

• Operating Profit is Nintendo's most important metric, because it shows the health of their business when you take out major modifiers to Net Income like Foreign Exchange Gains.

Q3 is the most important quarter for Nintendo in terms of Operating Profit. According to analyst projections, the vast majority of Nintendo's Operating Profit for the fiscal year will be made in this quarter.

In the past couple of years, this has also been the case with Nintendo's quarterly reports:

In FY3/2009, 38.4% of Revenue and 44.9% of Operating Profit was made in Q3
    In FY3/2010, 44.2% of Revenue and 53.9% of Operating Profit was made in Q3
    In FY3/2011, 43.9% of Revenue and 61.1% of Operating Profit was made in Q3
    In FY3/2012, 52.6% of Revenue was made in Q3, and Q3 was the only quarter Nintendo made an Operating Profit (they had an overall Operating Loss)
    In FY3/2013, 53.8% of Revenue was made in Q3, and Q3 was the only quarter Nintendo made an Operating Profit (they had an overall Operating Loss)

Assuming FY3/2014 follows the same trends, Q3 of this year will be the only quarter Nintendo will make an Operating Profit as well (Q1 and Q2 both had Operating Losses).
Therefore, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that Nintendo performs incredibly well in this quarter.

With all of that said, let's get to the reason this topic exists in the first place. The following information comes from multiple investor notes released by Jefferies Group, a global investment bank and institutional securities firm, and a Nintendo investor.

There are six tidbits of information from their investor notes I would like to announce that hasn't previously been widely shared:

1. The preliminary date for Nintendo's Q3 Earnings Release is Wednesday, January 29th, 2014, as seen here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

This is an INCREDIBLY important quarter because a significant earnings miss will likely prompt changes within the company. No time is set yet for the release, but here are the previous times we have created a Q3 thread on GAF:

Q3 2011 - Thursday, 01-27-2011, 02:23 AM EST
Q3 2012 - Thursday, 01-26-2012, 02:18 AM EST
Q3 2013 - Wednesday, 01-30-2013, 02:21 AM EST

And here are the times for the previous Q3 releases:

Q3 2011 - 01/27/11 / 02:00AM EST
Q3 2012 - 01/26/12 / 02:00AM EST
Q3 2013 - 01/30/13 / 02:00AM EST

2. Investors by-and-large are pushing for Nintendo to change direction from their current strategy. Many Japanese companies are turning towards smartphones as an avenue for growth, and investors want Nintendo to pursue smartphones as well.

3. Jefferies Group believes that, prior to Q3 results (at this exact moment), there is a 90-100% chance that Nintendo will suffer a large Earnings Miss (from its announced 100 billion JPY Operating Profit), a 75% chance that the company will change its strategy, and a 25% chance that Iwata will retire / get fired at the end of this FY (March-June 2014). This is subject to change depending on how Q3 performs. They believe there is only a small chance that everything will continue as normal.

4. A well-attended conference call with Nintendo occurred on December 20th. In that call, Nintendo confirmed Iwata's previous statement that Nintendo will take advantage of smartphones, with more details to come later...among other statements. This doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo will be releasing iOS / Android games in January, though. Iwata has previously mentioned Miiverse on Smartphones, Twitter / Social Media advertising, and other avenues rather than actual games. But, he is definitely getting pushed closer and closer to the subject. The pressure on Nintendo is intense at the moment.

5. Iwata conceded that, contrary to his original plans, he will hold a corporate strategy meeting after the Q3 release to discuss the state of Nintendo and their current strategy. If Q3 results are below expectations, this could very well translate into some sort of company overhaul.

6. There is a large chance that Nintendo will significantly revise their Wii U expectations / Operating Profit expectations when Q3 releases.

I wanted to make this topic because we tend to underestimate the importance of these particular Q3 results. If Nintendo changes its strategy, a whole variety of unknowns could happen. Nintendo could start to invest in smartphone game development. Nintendo might set into motion plans to phase out the Wii U within the next couple of years. Iwata may be fired / forced to retire. These are all possibilities if Nintendo significantly misses their profit expectations.

We're at a point where the traditionally stubborn company has the possibility of a very real change. The Wii U's recent failure has the possibility of shaking up the company more than we realize.

CronoShot

1383559727731.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Nintendo won't make a serious change until their next hardware cycle.

Nintendo won't make a serious change until the next Milankovitch cycle. That's kinda their shtick.

All joking aside, there's so little they can really do. I love my U. It's the only home console I've kept since my 3ds XL occupies so much of my time. It's a terrific system I have a ton of fun with, but their dumbass shenanigans have poisoned the well and I don't think they can save this console. I doubt they'll really even try.

The real question is if they're going to make another half-assed attempt to be in the home console game. I think they absolutely will, and that they absolutely shouldn't. My ideal Nintendo is a handheld or hybrid because there's just no way they can ever fix third-party support unless they bankroll every port and I don't think it means enough to them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The fact that Nintendo has done nothing in regards to the Wii U situation suggest that they don't deserves any sympathy in this area.

SpartanN92

Banned
I've said this so many times...Nintendo is run by out of touch, incompetent fools.

*Stupid Name
*Severly under powered
*Mario Kart should have been a launch title
*A REAL console pokemon game should have been made
*Mario 64 HD (In fact various HD 64/GameCube games)
*ALL Pokemon/Zelda/Mario etc gameboy and GBA games available on 3DS and Wii U eshop.

Easy money.

As much as I may seem negative towards Nintendo, I dont see how firing one man is going to change anything.

Nintendos biggest problem is what they do works, most of the time. Even people cite the gamecube and N64 as failures, in terms of operating profits, they weren't.

The problem is the WiiU and how best to dump a failing console without looking like you are going to dump it. The Gamepad was a bad idea and its really that simple. The WiiU has proven that Nintendo just cannot compete at the upper scale pricing wise and is better making a middle of the road console that has enough power to get quick ports of whatever is on Sony/Microsoft consoles, but powerful enough to allow Nintendo software and shovelware to shine.

A Nintendo console is never again going to the primary console for a vast majority of adults, but if Nintendo embrace the second console/console for the kids market they will stay profitable and further cerment their niche.

Once you have the niche you can start introducing whatever weird accessories you want. But make your base console simple to dump content on and with a control scheme that everyone will use and understand.

Then you can sell all the wiimotes, gamepads, cameras, heartrate montiors etc you could ever want. They might not be as well supported, but you will make up for it in third party support.

Hopefully there is significant change in the company with the incoming financials. Hopefully that change doesn't involve smartphones

Great write up as usual Aqua

I certainly welcome big changes if Nintendo becomes far more aggressive and appeases their core fanbase the most (and I don't just mean Mario games every month of the year, I mean 3rd-parties, new core IPs, stuff that will make the press go nuts in a good way but NO mobile games please), and as long as their motto for quality never changes.

It's going to be the most fascinating Spring Nintendo has had in years. Honestly all of Nintendo's longstanding problems regarding home consoles are coming to a head and it has put Iwata's Nintendo in a much tougher bind than they should have experienced. Now the smartphone and mobile pressure is absolutely impossible to ignore.

Hopefully this leads to more of a true third pillar than a falling out in the home console realm and hopefully this makes Iwata realize that consoles can't be so halfhearted in design and function anymore. Let's hope he at least realizes there is a game industry outside of Japan now. :/

maxcriden

Great OP as always Aquamarine. I think you make a lot of salient points and I'm curious and fascinated to see what will happen. I only hope for the best for Nintendo and I'm interested to see how they will adapt, as I feel history has shown they always do.

BTW, for anyone interested in Nintendo, this is a great book about its history:

Game Over: Press Start to Continue by David Sheff

prwxv3

Hopefully there is significant change in the company with the incoming financials. Hopefully that change doesn't involve smartphones

Many will not agree with me but I would rather have Nintendo change with the chance of changing negatively (smartphone shit ect) then havering them stay the same.

Frodo

Thanks for the post, Aquamarine. Good stuff as always!

At this point, unless they are releasing MK8 and SSB4 on the current FY I hardly believe they will even get close to reach their predictions. And since that seems very unlikely to happen as far as we can tell based on the information we have got, they will most likely have to lower those numbers. But this is pretty much expected.

Talking about change, I don't really see how firing/reting Iwata would make things better, at least from the gamer perspective. I can understand the pressure from investors when they look at the rise of mobile gaming, but as a gamer I would much rather have Nintendo allocating their resources into creating games for their own consoles and handhelds. Besides, who would replace Iwata? Is there a name investors and analysts want to see as the head of the company?

Nintendo is not smart enough to make sweeping decisions like this. They didn't seem to care when 3DS was a mess under him nor the repeated failures that came after.

He was coming off the highs of the Wii and DS, but his approval rating among investors has significantly declined the last few years. If he is canned, it will either be soon or it won't happen at all I imagine.

Clicked on this thread mainly because of who created it. Thanks for the data, and I do agree something big may happen sooner rather than later.

Really interested to see what happens. I like my Wii U a lot but feel Nintendo's corporate decisions are way too slow and conservative.

Blackage

Is there any real reason why a console pokemon hasn't been made in a long time? Has Nintendo even tried?

Guy who makes Pokemon wants people to go out and interact with each other, a console pokemon would go against that grain, or something along those lines.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is there any real reason why a console pokemon hasn't been made in a long time? Has Nintendo even tried?

they probably scared of tarnishing the franchise's reputation. I can see them being extra-careful with it, Pokemon is a golden goose

good write up in the OP, but I don't think Iwata will be forced to resign just because one of the two consoles under his supervision is failing

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
WiiU is the problem, while the 3DS is selling - Nintendo will rather push even more software than they already are on their bread winner instead of developing smartphone games. I feel like there are still enough steps they could take before putting their games on other systems. This doesn't sound like Nintendo at all, but with Yamauchi gone things might have changed.

Great OP though.

they probably scared of tarnishing the franchise's reputation. I can see that

good write up in the OP, but I don't think Iwata will be forced to resign just because one of the two consoles under his supervision is failing

That one console is an enormous part of their corporation.. The Wii U has been wiping out the profits of the 3DS the last few quarters which negates the actual success of the 3DS

BD1

Banned
Nintendo has a very insular Board, and they will protect Iwata. They don't manage the company for their investors.

I don't think anything drastic will happen in the near term, but I could see Nintendo pull out the old "third pillar" strategy and start to work on an accelerated exit strategy on the Wii U business for 2015.

EMT0

Banned
The entire OP reads like 'Nintendo on mobile is imminent' and that's something of a scary thought.

Very good analysis/data on the OP though.

rpmurphy

Great write up as usual Aqua
Honestly, I don't see the real benefit of shifting towards smartphone development due to weak sales of their home console. These two things are nothing alike, and furthermore, it will cannibalize their handheld business which is now holding up well. I don't see the logic here other than as a temporary measure for very short-term gains.

I fully expect Steeldiver Subwars to be announced (and maybe even released) shortly before the investor's meeting. It's their first real foray (apparently) into F2P and they might feel it will go some way to suppress 'IOS/Android game' requests, especially if coupled with an outline for using social media and smartphone advertising.

I feel like they will want to spin their digital software successes (again) by pointing out products like Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, Darumeshi Sports Store, and so on.

L Thammy

Nice write-up Aqua. It's kind of a worrying thing; there are many positive changes that Nintendo can make and many positive changes that they need to make, but we're entering into an atmosphere where they may be pressured into making a lot of negative changes also.

I've said this so many times...Nintendo is run by out of touch, incompetent fools.

*A REAL console pokemon game should have been made

Easy money.

That would cost a lot more to make, but it probably wouldn't sell a lot more. Colosseum should give you an idea of how another "real console Pokemon" would go.

Thanks for the information compilation. Hopefully some investments in future tech/infrastructure happen rather than playing it safe.

Neoxon

Game Freak just doesn't want to make a mainline console Pokémon game. They firmly believe in a portable experience for the main series.

Here's a start: FORM NEW DEVELOPERS!!!

Top pick: Rare 2.0, how many ex-employees would love to work for Nintendo again? Oh I can probably find some good ones.

They said they don't want to buy devs because it has to be mutual and they don't want to risk folks leaving (tell that to Retro), but they have folks from the Rare golden era who would beg to work with them and Nintendo does nada.

Grant Kirkhope
David Wise (at least they are close to him and have him on Fucking Cranky Kong(tm))
Chris Seavor
Nyamyam
Martin Hollis
Steven Hurst
Gary Richards
Kevin Bayliss

Lots of folks and most of those above are top-tier from Rare.

Some more JP dev buyouts can really help, I mean Kamiya said he'd at least love to be a 2nd-party (which translate to be exclusive but not owned).

ascii42

Were the systems returned by the retailers or recalled by Nintendo (due to phasing out the basic unit or something like that)?

Not that it really matters, since they phased it out because it wasn't selling.

Nintendo won't fire Iwata. He was hand-picked for the job by Yamauchi to be his successor. I would be super surprised if the company overturned Yamauchi's decision so soon after his death. Besides, the company isn't used to a game of musical chairs with management, relying on the stability of a singular vision for decades.

If Q3 results are below expectations, this could very well translate into sort of company overhaul.

Nintendo was stupid to take so long to invest in more developers, but aren't they in the process of forming a large new development branch? It's silly to expect to see the fruits of this decision so soon. In fact, the Wii U may simply be a stop-gap before we see any real results from this new workforce.

Investors by-and-large are pushing for Nintendo to change direction from their current strategy. Many Japanese companies are turning towards smartphones as an avenue for growth, and investors want Nintendo to pursue smartphones as well.

Iwata made it clear what Nintendo's position on this is. If anything, I would expect to see an announcement along the lines of an open Miiverse app, or some sort of small app that advertises Nintendo's games to smartphone users as they have said they're considering this. I would be surprised if it is anything substantial like an actual game for smartphones.

Really interested to see what happens. I like my Wii U a lot but feel Nintendo's corporate decisions are way too slow and conservative.

And this is why we shouldn't expect much more than the usual groveling and excuses.

Sandfox

Nintendo is not smart enough to make sweeping decisions like this. They didn't seem to care when 3DS was a mess under him nor the repeated failures that came after.

The 3DS was only struggling for a few months so I don't see why it would've made sense to fire him so fast.

The Wii U was just executed so poorly across the board, from the late timing of its release right down to the name of the console.

How the console made its way to market in its current form is beyond baffling. The Wii was an SD console, why did they wait so long to release the supposed successor? The Wii U should've been a 2010 console, but maybe they were too busy trying to make it as small and efficient as possible.

I swear to god, if they don't care about the VC on their own damn platforms, no harm in releasing NES and GBA stuff on Mobile either. Why? Because all they have t do is announce it, see stock rise and then trickle.

cw_sasuke

Honestly, I don't see the real benefit of shifting towards smartphone development due to weak sales of their home console. These two things are nothing alike, and furthermore, it will cannibalize their handheld business which is now holding up well. I don't see the logic here other than as a temporary measure for very short-term gains.
This.

Putting their effort into mobile games would weaken their system and area where they are actually making money. Plus they have a bunch of WiiU titles in pipeline, I can't see a scenario where they drastically change the whole plan for their console because of a lackluster year. If Mario Kart, Smash and Co. fail it'll mean that a new 3rd pillar system will be released sooner than expected, but that's all.

Gamepad less WiiU + renaming of the console are a more likely than Nintendo throwing their handheld under the bus for a short term fix.

I'm reading it wrong or the eventual change would be firing iwata and going mobile?

The percentages are independent of each other.

90-100% chance Nintendo will miss original expectations by a significant amount, 0-10% chance that Nintendo meets expectations.

75% chance Nintendo's strategy will change after they miss expectations, 25% chance their strategy won't change.

25% chance Iwata will be fired, 75% chance he won't be fired (this percentage might change once Q3 releases).

The percentages are independent of each other.

90-100% chance Nintendo will miss original expectations by a significant amount, 0-5% chance that Nintendo meets expectations.

75% chance Nintendo's strategy will change after Q3 releases, 25% chance their strategy won't change.

25% chance Iwata will be fired, 75% chance he won't be fired (this percentage might change once Q3 releases).

I'm aware of that, maybe it did not seem from my post.

But the change if it happens what would be aside steering towards mobile?

cw_sasuke

That's only a possibility, but investors are definitely trying to pressure Nintendo into making some mobile games.
... And they have been pushing Nintendo to release their software on other hardware systems whenever they were struggling. Going mobile is the popular choice right now and apparently fixes every problem. If Nintendo were this fragile they would develop PlayStation and Xbox games today.

At this point they better design their next portable in a way that they can easily Port WiiU titles on the system, so that they can at least make some money of the games at a later point.

Sandfox

I'm interested in seeing what happens to the leftover Wii Us when it leaves the market. Also, I'm curious in seeing what route Nintendo goes with their next handheld and console and if they make small titles that are compatible with android as well as their devices or something.

MisterHero

After dropping the hardware prices maybe Nintendo should consider dropping the price of new games. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, but maybe it's possible to produce the same complete games for $50.

It's disappointed they aren't more agile in recruiting developers and expanding their library through new/revived IPs, but I can only think that suggested alternatives (like throwing money at such IPs) are unprofitable and therefore undesirable.

I would've cared about supporting major 3rd-party publishers but a few of them *cough*EA*cough* are more interested in screwing with their players with broken or incomplete games. What they want from games and their buyers should actively be contested, not praised.

Nintendo's model is a bit old and conservative but it's still relevant. A couple bad decisions shouldn't drive them off the tracks.

I don't see the logic here other than as a temporary measure for very short-term gains.

That's all some investors care about and why I kind of wish Nintendo wasn't a publicly traded company. Growth, growth, growth at any cost. Iwata has made many mistakes but I am firmly in agreement that they should not do anything that would cheapen or devalue their IP, their extensive historical library, or it's bond to their own hardware. That path eventually leads to being just another 3rd party (i.e. downhill eventually).

Nintendo's biggest problem is that they still believe that a family is closer to The Cosby Show rather than Malcolm in the Middle. It's like a music company still targeting disco fans. They're so afraid of tarnishing that image that they keep making all these boneheaded decisions.

QaaQer

Thanks for the post, Aquamarine. Good stuff as always!

At this point, unless they are releasing MK8 and SSB4 on the current FY I hardly believe they will even get close to reach their predictions. And since that seems very unlikely to happen as far as we can tell based on the information we have got, they will most likely have to lower those numbers. But this is pretty much expected.

Talking about change, I don't really see how firing/reting Iwata would make things better, at least from the gamer perspective. I can understand the pressure from investors when they look at the rise of mobile gaming, but as a gamer I would much rather have Nintendo allocating their resources into creating games for their own consoles and handhelds. Besides, who would replace Iwata? Is there a name investors and analysts want to see as the head of the company?

Iwata is a developer. If they fire him, I hope that they do not hire an MBA type. The OP is very worrying.

Top Bottom