• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo...did anyone ELSE know there was a canceled Flash (superhero) game?

Some Nobody

Apparently in 2008 (not long after the release of Arkham Asylum), DC had a company named BottleRocket Entertainment working on a Flash video game. The trouble being that their publisher went out of business before they could do much.

Though the concept art leaves something to be desired as far as the Flash himself goes, I do like the wide range of characters they tried to use:

For those unfamiliar, left to right:

Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard
76Iaucd.jpg

The Flash, Jay Garrick (an older Flash with no real relation except similar name), Kid Flash, Jesse Quick, and Captain Cold again.
lpoSUgq.jpg

There was an even a bit of early footage done showing what looked to be an open-world city the Flash could explore and beat the crap out of bad guys in. I'm not quite sure how it would've worked as far as being challenging to the player, but it certainly looked fun knowing they had another year or so to work on the game.

Too bad instead we're stuck with infinite video games about the one superhero who's had more movies, cartoons, and comic books than possibly any other superhero ever. *sigh*

Courtesy of Comic Book Movie:

The basics were planned to go something like this: the game was broken down into chapters with each chapter culminating in a boss fight against one of the Rogues Gallery. During the chapter the player would have been going on missions that he received either by intercepting police broadcasts or accepting them from various NPCs around the two cities (the player was confined to Central and Keystone cities; no world exploration allowed for the first game). At the time we had three core principles for the missions: racing (going from one point to another as quickly as possible), moving combat (fighting against other speedsters or moving vehicles ALA Road Rash), and arena combat (fighting against criminals at a location). All the missions in the game would stem from these principles, mixed and matched as needed. We had enough scenarios planned out that no two missions would ever had the same story wrapper. Oh yeah and it is important to note that we were working with famed DC writer Marv Wolfman. He was writing the overall storyline, the mission flavor, and the dialog.

1.lol @ the Danny Elfmanesque tv series them in the bgm. Funny that now we have the same thing with games/tv of DC characters having a zimmeresque feel.

2.Game had potential obviously now that we have seen what they have done in not 1 but, 3 batman games.

Really no excuse maybe they shelved it for an eventual flash movie. Kind of weird.

Some Nobody

You're not alone.

I'm not familiar with the character or the developers behind this attempt. Got more information to share, OP?

Aside from what's found in the video and the article, nothing concerning the game. It seems the game was about six months into development only to be canceled when the publisher went out of business while they had another year or so left to go.

The Flash himself is one of the most famous DC characters there is: The Fastest Man Alive, the Scarlet Speedster, etc. etc. He's known for having a family of speedsters (which you see in the second image): Kid Flash (his nephew), the golden age Flash (an older guy who just happens to share the name with him who's real name is Jay Garrick), and Jesse Quick would be the female in the image who's really only tangentially connected but I can totally see why they added her.

He had a wide range of villains, but mostly was threatened by the Rogues (a group of super-villains that are less about murdering and more about "the score", including Captain Cold, Heatwave, the Mirror Master, the Weather Wizard and the Trickster), Gorilla Grodd (a gorilla with human-level intelligence and mind control abilities), and Reverse Flash (basically an evil version of the Flash from the future).

Raysoul

Back on the real topic, it still wouldn't be a great game because it will suffer from the "Superman" video game argument where players will complain why Flash is slow. No pun intended.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Apparently in 2008 (not long after the release of Arkham Asylum), DC had a company named BottleRocket Entertainment working on a Flash video game. The trouble being that their publisher went out of business before they could do much.
Arkham Asylum came out in 2009...

Anyways here's some more assets/etc.

Art and footage - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LEVITIKUZsLOUNGE/news/?a=72175

More art - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=91353

Animatics - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=91416

More art and storyboards - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=91481

Some Nobody

Back on the real topic, it still wouldn't be a great game because it will suffer from the "Superman" video game argument where players will complain why Flash is slow. No pun intended.

But it didn't really look slow at all? He was zooming around the city, creating sonic booms and mini-tornadoes and only slowed down to smack villains around. Which, I mean--you can only go SO fast against villains or you'll knock their heads off?

I-hate-u

The reason that Batman works is that he has a multitude of weapons that can make for varied gameplay. What can Flash do besides run fast?

Some Nobody

Mind if I put this in the OP?

One of his enemies is just a Gorilla?

A gorilla with mind-control powers, yeah. What do you expect, he was made in 1959?

sn00zer

yeah sounds like a bad idea...if only in that you would need to drastically slow down the flash and have a huge area to explore

Mike M

Nick N
The reason that Batman works is that he has a multitude of weapons that can make for varied gameplay. What can Flash do besides run fast?
Flash's abilities are actually pretty fucking ridiculous, he's been the subject of unparalleled power creep.

Raysoul

But it didn't really look slow at all? He was zooming around the city, creating sonic booms and mini-tornadoes and only slowed down to smack villains around. Which, I mean--you can only go SO fast against villains or you'll knock their heads off?

I mean, Flash is the fastest superhero in DCverse. Videogames has limitations on how a character can move or travel, and it won't/very hard to properly portray how fast is Flash. Maybe unless they are doing and overclocked temple run clone.

It is the same reason why there are no Superman video games.

Gartooth

That Kid Flash design is awful. I wasn't impressed by the footage I saw either, and I think for the character to work in a video game it would take more time and money than DC/Warner would be willing to give the property sadly enough.

Atomski

I feel like a good Flash game could be impossible to make... Surprised it was even attempted.

I have always thought that a Flash game would be cool. But for now I will take Infamous...
Thats a lot of a fancy graphics for something not even moving fast.

Top Bottom