• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on the next Hitman game (IO, PC/next-gen, open levels, no checkpoints)

Quentyn

Dear Hitman fans,

We wanted to share this open letter with all of you out there eagerly awaiting more news about what’s happening next in the franchise.

At Io-Interactive right now, we are building the next AAA Hitman game for PC and next-gen consoles. It has our total focus and we wanted to take a moment to tell you a few things about it.

In the next game you will experience a globetrotting Agent 47 at the prime of his career – the apex predator stalking his prey across the world, with the support of his long-term handler Diana Burnwood and the whole of the ICA.

The game concentrates on the core Hitman fantasy of using a wide range of tools to take out a diverse group of targets across expansive, exotic locations around the world. We are building this game on the backbone of the Glacier 2 engine, using the best parts and what we have learnt through Hitman: Absolution and drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money to fulfil the core Hitman fantasy. That means we’re packing in an extreme level of detail on the largest levels we have ever built for a Hitman game. We’ve adopted an open, non-linear level design approach to the game, ensuring the game will play out across huge, checkpoint-free, sandbox levels. Our aim is to create living, breathing and believable levels which will allow gamers to play around with the AI to create those unique moments every fan of the Hitman franchise loves.

Contracts Mode is back – you will be able to create and build challenges by experimenting with the large levels and possibilities within them. And of course, you can share them with the world and challenge your friends or foes to complete your hits. Your rules, your Contracts.

You will also be glad to hear that we have removed 47’s magic pockets. We believe that’s all we need to say about that subject.

As we get further into 2014, we will reveal more and get into much closer contact with all of you. There are so many things we have planned and we are extremely excited for the future of Hitman.

Thank you all for your dedication. We will share much, much more in the coming months.

The Io-Interactive Team

http://hitman.com/open-letter-to-hitman-fans/

boinx

You will also be glad to hear that we have removed 47’s magic pockets.

Actually no, i'm not glad to hear that. This new teams main objective seems to be making each new Hitman game less fun than the older entries. Broken stealth, weapon limits, what's next?

DosBuster

Neo Member
While the story of Absolution was a little bit cliche'd I quite enjoyed it, and hearing these details makes me excited for another chapter in the series. Is it just me or is Square Enix having more success with their western games then in Japan?

Jb

No more checkpoints? Good.

Now get rid of the Absolution disguise and instinct system and we're in business.

Jintor

I hope what this means is a return to the blood money form of just having a bunch of awesome one-drop hitman sandbox missions tied together with a loose storyline instead of bullshit "Now we gotta do this. Now we gotta do that. Now you gotta gun your way through this fuckin' orphanage for god knows what reason"

mr_toa

Great news!

I saw a number of new job openings at IO the other day - and wondered for which project that was. Now we know :)

Absolution burned me hard. So I am not buying into this no matter how many "core Hitman gameplay" or "Blood Money and Contracts inspired" phrases they use.

kmax

This is like music to my ears.

Sandbox, non linear, mission type objectives. THIS is what Hitman is about. It seems like IO has heard us loud and clear.

Great news!

Gorger

As a devout Hitman fan since the first game I am very excited for this news! Sounds like they got their focus back on track this time and are trying to make a game more true to the originals. Absolution was a good game, but I still think their original style suited this series better.

comadorcrack

Neo Member
You will also be glad to hear that we have removed 47’s magic pockets

You presume incorrectly.

we have learnt through Hitman: Absolution and drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money to fulfil the core Hitman fantasy.

This on the other hand... The more they mention Blood Money, the Happier I'll be.

Foffy

Banned
Major question: is David Bateson back?

Don't replace him, IO! He singlehandedly saved Absolution in the voice front. He is 47.

Blink Me

Absolution burned me hard. So I am not buying into this no matter how many "core Hitman gameplay" or "Blood Money and Contracts inspired" phrases they use.

Yeah I'm fairly sure they used that phrasing before Absolution came out. And I remember the video they released showing the Chinatown level tricking me into thinking every level was like that instead of it being a game of sneaking from one corridor to the other.

Foffy

Banned
They wouldn't dare...

He was originally replaced in Absolution, so they dared before. They wanted an entire cast of motion capture and voice acting, from the same people. 47's voice was originally his mocap actor, which was not Bateson.

Fact that they need a pre-announcement reassurance letter is a bad sign.

Not really, they know that a lot of fans were put off by Absolution's approach. If anything it's good that they've chosen to acknowledge what people missed and that it's the focus of the new game. Certainly better than pretending Absolution didn't have fundamental changes that were often negatively received by fans.

Gorger

Yeah I'm fairly sure they used that phrasing before Absolution came out. And I remember the video they released showing the Chinatown level tricking me into thinking every level was like that instead of it being a game of sneaking from one corridor to the other.

Urgh, that was the worst part of the game. For the love 47's baldness IO do not repeat this type of level design ever again!

stn

Sandbox? Around the world? Has targets? Now THIS is what I want to hear. All I need now is confirmation that David Bateson will be back as 47 and that they'll fix the disguise system. But really, all they need to do is make Blood Money with a better disguise system.

We need to Tweet at them and whatever to make sure they use Bateson. Though I think they will after what happened when they tried a new actor for Absolution.

Jintor

They say the right things, but I need more then words after Absolution.

Also true. Fuck that was so disappointing after the demo chinatown level they had.

I thought Chinatown was just the beginning of their ambitions, not the apex of it...

Gorger

He was originally replaced in Absolution, so they dared before. They wanted an entire cast of motion capture and voice acting, from the same people. 47's voice was originally his mocap actor, which was not Bateson.

I know! Which is ironic because 47 is modelled after Bateson, and would be the perfect 47 in any form! Fortunately they didn't go through with it and I see no reason that they would do something that stupid for their next game. Especially now that they are making a sequel more in line with their old games.

Foffy

Banned
Oh, one more key thing: remove Instinct and the dumb disguise system made around it. It says a lot when your game plays more like previous Hitman games when a modder releases a trainer to change the parameters of the AI's response to you in costume and make it very close to the older games. It's absurd that you have to hide behind cover when you have a disguise when a man 15 feet from you can make you out..in a factory. Where everyone is a PMC. It's either that of holding your forehead...which somehow works? Dumb, dumb dumb.

Please IO. I want the greatness of Hitman, so bathe inspiration from Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money. You have a trilogy of games that got it right under your belt.

EDIT: The CG render on the page has the name "AirportRender_Absolute_Final". This might be a stretch, but could the game actually be called Hitman Absolute? It sounds way too similar to Absolution, so I hope not.

w9EawtZ.jpg

That render might also give away some potential locations.

shandy706

Making an announcement about a game and pointing out that they've heard the fans and are catering to the open world, non-linear, design they've been asking for.....is a bad sign to you?

Alrighty Then

kmax

Actually, it's a good sign. It shows that they've acknowledged the things that was recieved poorly in Absolution, and are subsequently stepping away from that direction. It's a GOOD thing, since it shows that they actually listen to what their consumers want. After Absolution, people are way more weary about future sequels, so it's a good thing that they're distancing themselves from the direction that Absolution had right from the start.

SJRB

Gold Member
We’ve adopted an open, non-linear level design approach to the game, ensuring the game will play out across huge, checkpoint-free, sandbox levels.

O my fucking god, can it be true?

Where's Derrick when you need him?

Actually no, i'm not glad to hear that. This new teams main objective seems to be making each new Hitman game less fun than the older entries. Broken stealth, weapon limits, what's next?

The games before Absolution didn't have magic pockets (well, except for being able to carry a million pistols in your jacket). I'm guessing this means we can no longer holster an assault rifle, which is fine by me.

Open levels, seemingly less focus on a shitty B-movie narrative. Sounds promising, now to wait and see.

Top Bottom