• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review: Nintendo Wireless Keyboard

Shiggy

The Nintendo Wireless Keyboard does not sound too exciting at first. Its name specifies pretty clearly what it is: a wireless keyboard.

[IMGhttp://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/images/migration/news_4/NIC_NDS_LearnWithPokemonTypingAdventure_keyb_enGB.png[/IMG]

With a white frontside and black backside, the keyboard looks pretty stylish. Obviously, time will tell whether the white colour will turn to yellow, which I certainly don't hope. Most of the important keys are included, though it's probably best fitted for portable use due to its size. However, if you need keys such as F9 or Print, you may want to rethink your choice.

The Nintendo Wireless Keyboard connects via Bluetooth to your device. That means it works with most smartphones (Android/iOS) and PCs, provided that they have a bluetooth chip. It even works with a wide range of TVs as well as your PS3 and PS4. If you are still one of the old-fashioned people with a DS or 3DS, you are out of luck as neither platform includes a bluetooth chipset. Only if you use a DS software called 'Pokemon Typing Adventure' (which is bundled with the keyboard), you can try the keyboard on those platforms. Wii users cannot use the keyboard at all.

Talking about range, you certainly won't have any trouble using the keyboard if you are just connecting it to your phone or your notebook. There might be issues if you want to use it with a large TV which is 10-15 metres away, but I haven't done any testing in such a setup.

The keyboard is powered with two AA batteries and a first set is included in the package. As I just received the Nintendo Wireless Keyboard, I cannot comment on how long these batteries will last. What I really liked was that the package came with a stand, e.g. for your Android phone or iOS device. In case you wanted to try 'Pokemon Typing Adventure', you could even put your 3DS XL on it.

Unfortunately, the Nintendo Wireless Keyboard is only available in white in Europe. A black keyboard does exist in Japan but that will not have the keyboard layout of your respective country. However, as you can get it for just €10, it's a real steal. I have yet to find another Bluetooth keyboard of this size at such a price, especially when this keyboard is of decent quality.

nintendokeyboard2ceuh1.jpg
hni_0011_mpoczkls.jpg

Comparison with the Apple keyboard:
R1050616.jpg

Occam

That's an excellent price! I think I'll buy one for my tablet.

EDIT: I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Is this for Wii U?
Where can I buy it for 10 EUR? Do you have the ASIN?

Shiggy

Yeah, it comes bundled with Pokemon Typing Adventure, which comes in a black case that makes it look like a bootleg.

91w%2BK7xAqjL._SL1500_.jpg

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah, it comes bundled with Pokemon Typing Adventure, which comes in a black case that makes it look like a bootleg.

91w%2BK7xAqjL._SL1500_.jpg

I still can't believe that we European got this over Kirby Dream Collection.

This does not need to exist...does the Pokemon DS cart have bluetooth chip in it or something?

Then how else are you suppose to play the Pokémon typing game?

Elija2

Why would they put a typing training game on the DS? It's not like you can play it on the go so why didn't they put it on the Wii? Also why doesn't it work with the Wii if it uses Bluetooth?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I own one and use it for my iPad - it's really a great keyboard. Got it also for 10 back then, this is easily something which would go for +30/40 Euro normally.

wrowa

Bought this for 15€ from the local Saturn a few months ago. I've never played the game it came with, but the keyboard is great for iPhone/iPad. It's surprisingly well made.

kubus

Yes!!

I love this keyboard! I use it at university all the time with my iPad, works flawlessly! I also got it for €15, you can still find it available at stores like Bart Smit and Intertoys in the Netherlands for that price.

It's amazing quality considering the price, my boyfriend who spent €70 on the official iPad keyboard is jealous :p

And the Pokemon typing game is actually kinda cute...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I actually got both the Japanese and European release. The black Japanese variant wasn't released until a few months later though, so I have the white one.

It's pretty neat to use with the Raspberry Pi.

Top Bottom