• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

ekim

edit:
Black Tusk only working on Gears Of War - the E3 teaser was more like a tech demo.
"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5345342/gears-of-war-xbox-one-microsoft-epic-games-rod-fergusson

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Today we're excited to announce that Microsoft Studios has acquired the rights to the “Gears of War” franchise from Epic Games, including rights to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise. In addition, we are excited to announce that Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver, BC will take over development of the “Gears of War” franchise and that Rod Fergusson, former Director of Production at Epic Games on the “Gears of War” franchise, will join Microsoft and play a key studio leadership role at Black Tusk on the development of the franchise going forward. We had a chance to chat with Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios, Hanno Lemke, General Manager of Black Tusk Studios at Microsoft Studios, and Rod Fergusson about the big news.

Interview with Phil Spencer can be found on the site.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Black Tusk making a Gears of War then? Was this series worth it at this point, I dunno. Seems to have kinda run its course.

Does anybody really care about Gears of War any more? Shouldn't they be putting this series to bed in favor of something new and exciting? What's the point?

I guess that ends PS speculation. A trilogy remake for Xbox one would be nice.

Why would that be nice?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eh. didnt think gears had much left in it.

and black tusk helming it? what about their game?

Xater

Haha!

I guess Epic either wanted to do one for PS4 as well or they were not interested in all to continue the franchise. Personally I hope it was the latter reason because I don't know where you can take that franchise. It pretty much represents everything about last gen. Also from a story stand point I don't think you can do anything that would not seem forced.

Also this makes me way more excited to see what will come out of Epic beyond Fortnight.

DaBuddaDa

Does anybody really care about Gears of War any more? Shouldn't they be putting this series to bed in favor of something new and exciting? What's the point?

A big Gears of War reboot for next gen systems would fit beautifully in the Halo off-years for MS...

Leflus

That's a bit disappointing if it means that Black Tusk's new IP has been cancelled.

Still good news for MS, though. Gears of War 4 is going to sell bucketloads.

Why would that be nice?

I only played the first one but I always thought that the online community is still big. If that's the case than it would make sense for MS to buy the franchise.

Boke1879

Not trying to downplay this announcement, but in my opinion this isn't very exciting. To me Gears has pretty much run it's course.

All this says is that Gears is staying exclusive to MS.

chadskin

Black Tusk is making the next Gears game? Wow, call me disappointed. I was hoping they'd be working on something new and fresh.

RooMHM

Microsoft always taking the wrong decision as expected. So happy they re so involved in new IPs as they like to proclaim.

If this means the secret Black Tusk project was a new Gears... this is kinda disappointing news?

I mean, I love Gears and all, but I was really hoping for some new mind-blowing IP.

Sendou

Sure, why not?

Interested to see what they'll come up with at least. I hope there will be some kind of compilation for XBONE since I never got into this series.

Top Bottom