• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Book Club (Feb 2014) - "Blindness" by José Saramago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Cyan for letting me hop in this month!

wRAub.jpg

“Perhaps only in a world of the blind will things be what they truly are.”
― José Saramago, Blindness

Blindness by José Saramago

From Nobel Prize–winning author José Saramago, a magnificent, mesmerizing parable of loss.

A city is hit by an epidemic of "white blindness" that spares no one. Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital, but there the criminal element holds everyone captive, stealing food rations and assaulting women. There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides her charges—among them a boy with no mother, a girl with dark glasses, a dog of tears—through the barren streets, and their procession becomes as uncanny as the surroundings are harrowing. As Blindness reclaims the age-old story of a plague, it evokes the vivid and trembling horrors of the twentieth century, leaving readers with a powerful vision of the human spirit that's bound both by weakness and exhilarating strength.

“In Blindness he has written a profound, ultimately transcendent meditation on what it means to be human.”
- Alix Wilber

“He has written a novel that says more about the days we are living in than any book I have read. He writes with wit, with heartbreaking dignity, and with the simplicity of a great artist in full control of his art. Let us listen to a true elder of our people, a man of tears, a man of wisdom.”
- The Guardian

“Saramago’s baroque imagination is his hallmark--readers have to hand themselves over to his fantasy, to be taken on a bizarre and unpredictable journey.”
- Lisa Jardine

Find it here:
Kindle edition
Paperback edition

Or try your local library. Let's read!

Guidelines:
-Discussion of anything and everything is encouraged. It's a book club, let's chat!
-Please use spoiler tags sensibly.
-The milestones are there to help keep you on the path. If you get ahead or behind, don't worry--it will have no impact on your final grade.

Reading Milestones (courtesy of The Culture Vulture!):
Feb 1-8 || pg 103
Feb 9-15 || pg 215
Feb 16-22 || pg 293 (finish)

Previous Book Club Threads:
The Quiet American by Graham Greene (Jan 2014)
If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino (Sept 2013)
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (July 2013)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Feb-Mar 2013)
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (September 2012)
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller (January 2012)
The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (December 2011)
Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, by Cormac McCarthy (Oct 2011)
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov (Sep 2011)
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas (Aug 2011)
Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian (July 2011)
The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (June 2011)
A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan (May 2011)
The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield (Apr 2011)
Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein (Mar 2011)
Flashman, by George MacDonald Fraser (Feb 2011)[/QUOTE]

survivor

Banned
Since I'm almost done with the book I'm currently reading, I think I will be able to finally participate in the book club. Plot synopsis looks pretty good.

Since I'm almost done with the book I'm currently reading, I think I will be able to finally participate in the book club. Plot synopsis looks pretty good.

Yeah, it has been on my "list" for a long time now. I've heard some very interesting things about his writing style...time to see first hand.

I'm in. It's been a long time since I've read Saramago and I might have been too young to realize how special he is. I just started up The Gospel According to Jesus Christ recently and became reacquainted with his genius, but I think I can put it aside for a while.

Coen

The last thread inspired me to read the Quiet American, although I didn't actively participate in the topic. I'll hop to the library tomorrow and hopefully have something to add this month. Thanks for the thread.

Never heard about this book. Bought it on Kindle and going to start reading now.
It would be cool if the book club is a monthly thing always.

Oooh. And here I thought we wouldn't have book club this month!

Nothing can stop this freight train! Are you in? You and Cyan provide quite a bit more detailed responses to the books in question than I do. If not, I'll do my best.

The last thread inspired me to read the Quiet American, although I didn't actively participate in the topic. I'll hop to the library tomorrow and hopefully have something to add this month. Thanks for the thread.

Glad to have you on-board.

Never heard about this book. Bought it on Kindle and going to start reading now.
It would be cool if the book club is a monthly thing always.

That's how I'm hoping it shapes up. I'm depending on Cyan to steer me true this year. If he decides to sit one out, I'll try and slap something together if he's cool with it. I have several good nominees for options, but at least two of them don't have ebook versions (which is a deal breaker for a lot of people).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I didn't get around to last month but I think I might read this.

Need to get back to a friend who said she'd give me a free copy of this!

wow finally a book I've read.

The sequel "Seeing" is bananas and not in a good way.

And the movie was shitty but Mark Ruffalo was hot in it.

I'm not very good at discussing literature. :(

Yea, me too. I liked it. It's weird how critics bashed the movie while Saramago himself cried after watching it and said he was feeling the same way he had felt when he had finished writing the book.

The author's opinion about a film adaptation is usually pretty useless, whether positive or negative.

Great choice for the book club though. Very much a horror novel in its particular way.

Mumei

That's how I'm hoping it shapes up. I'm depending on Cyan to steer me true this year. If he decides to sit one out, I'll try and slap something together if he's cool with it. I have several good nominees for options, but at least two of them don't have ebook versions (which is a deal breaker for a lot of people).

I'm a bit less optimistic about that plan, because when we tried keeping it going every month before we tended to have rather poor participation as time went on. Of course, that may also have been because choices were done democratically back then, and the "What are you reading?" topics weren't as active back then. Or maybe people just didn't like the choices!

RJT

I love this book! In fact, I got a copy signed by the man himself, who is probably my favorite author. Enjoy, people!

I'm a bit less optimistic about that plan, because when we tried keeping it going every month before we tended to have rather poor participation as time went on. Of course, that may also have been because choices were done democratically back then, and the "What are you reading?" topics weren't as active back then. Or maybe people just didn't like the choices!

Yeah, these tend to be lighter traveled roads it would seem. Last month had a dozen or so participants and a total of 88 posts so far, but I'm keeping the faith!

Cyan

Banned

That's fine by me. I got burned out doing it monthly, which is why I switched to a more erratic schedule. If you want to collaborate such that we end up having more-or-less monthly threads, that would be cool. We can discuss timing (and possible book choices!) over PM if need be. I should note that I'm considering doing a longer non-fiction book that might need two months (Mar-Apr), and as I think I've discussed previously, I want to do two months for Infinite Jest this summer. Also, as Mumei notes, I think dictatorial book choices work better than democratic. ;)

Anyway. I just went to the library to pick this up, but someone else had just checked it out. The only copy available was the large print version, which for me is basically unreadable. There's some irony there.

That's fine by me. I got burned out doing it monthly, which is why I switched to a more erratic schedule. If you want to collaborate such that we end up having more-or-less monthly threads, that would be cool. We can discuss timing (and possible book choices!) over PM if need be. I should note that I'm considering doing a longer non-fiction book that might need two months (Mar-Apr), and as I think I've discussed previously, I want to do two months for Infinite Jest this summer. Also, as Mumei notes, I think dictatorial book choices work better than democratic. ;)

Sounds great, just let me know if and when there's a month you want to skip out and I'll put something together. I have a few solid choices lined up which I think will lend themselves nicely to a book club discussion format.

Longer two month options also sounds like a good idea. I skipped two other books I was interested in for this month's choice due to length. I thought people would be much more likely to read a 300 page book than a 700 page one.

Coen

qcnnAz5.jpg

I had a successful trip to the library this morning. I've decided to go with the Dutch translation. Some pages in, the book wastes no time getting into the action. I'm not really sure what to think of the style of dialog. I've a hard time keeping characters apart.

RJT

I had a successful trip to the library this morning. I've decided to go with the Dutch translation. Some pages in, the book wastes no time getting into the action. I'm not really sure what to think of the style of dialog. I've a hard time keeping characters apart.

Think of it like you're listening to an old man tell a story. That's where Saramago got his style from: he started to write the way he hears people tell stories.

I agree that sometimes it's hard to tell who's saying what, but I love the flow you get from it.

Anyway. I just went to the library to pick this up, but someone else had just checked it out. The only copy available was the large print version, which for me is basically unreadable. There's some irony there.

This book is on my to-read list for a long time. I have heard so much about this book but I never picked it up because I was overwhelmed by its page count. Would love it if its the next book for the book club.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Sounds interesting! I've placed an hold on it at my library, hopefully my turn doesn't take too long to arrive.

Cyan

Banned
Picked up a copy at the bookstore downstairs from my work.

That's right. I have an awesome independent bookstore downstairs. And a library a block away.

Mwa. Ha. Ha.

Grabbed it from the library today. First time I've read a non Kindle book in a couple of years. Looking forward to it GAF. Will probably get cracking on it today.

Bonethug

Borrowed a Kindle copy of The Collected Novels of José Saramago from the Free Library of Philadelphia. Still 1 copy available if anyone else is a member.

Glad to see people secured a copy.

When I first updating the 50/50 thread later tonight, I'll try and sketch out a rough milestone time line for this book.

Necrovex

Oooh. And here I thought we wouldn't have book club this month!

What made you think that? We had such a hot discussion about The Quiet American. See Graham Greene, that thread was proof that Americans can be quiet...
without being dead.

Mumei

What made you think that? We had such a hot discussion about The Quiet American. See Graham Greene, that thread was proof that Americans can be quiet...
without being dead.

Cyan had already said he wasn't doing it this month, and he's been the official unofficial runner of this topic series for awhile. I wasn't expecting someone else to volunteer.

Holy wall of text Batman.

Just read the first chapter and was surprised at the format though I had heard it was a peculiar style. Enjoyable introduction for the book....hopefully I get acclimated to the style quickly.

Holy wall of text Batman.

Just read the first chapter and was surprised at the format though I had heard it was a peculiar style. Enjoyable introduction for the book....hopefully I get acclimated to the style quickly.

The super cool Kindle version says it has real page numbers...only it doesn't. Can someone with a physical copy give me a good idea of a reading milestone for the book? I can post location #s but that won't mean a thing to people going the physical route.

Empty

got this out the library today and read the first chapter. pretty good. i love how the voice seamlessly blends speech, interior thought, description and action together, it really sucked me in.

Cool book choice cyan.

I finally do one thing right and no love.

got this out the library today and read the first chapter. pretty good. i love how the voice seamlessly blends speech, interior thought, description and action together, it really sucked me in.

That's exactly how I'm feeling at about 10% in. I'd heard some complaints with the formatting and style but I think it's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom