• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "The Wii U isn't in good shape"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think Iwata point is what some ppl have been saying all along: ultimately Wii U is not an attractive product. Even if they decide to do another price cut is not going to do much because the consumer is not interested in such a product.

Well, it worked for the 3DS. I could see a $200 Wii U moving some units, especially if they refocus on younger audiences. Of course, there's no telling whether most kids these days are even interested in playing games on a TV in the first place. They may just be boned, because they're never getting the older audience with this thing.

seat

Further price cuts are unlikely to spark fresh demand for the console, Iwata said today.
And here Nintendo continues on the road to ruin. Iwata is clearly devoted to going down with the sinking ship, God bless him.

Cse

Banned
I honestly believe a $199 Wii U without the gamepad would reinvigorate the system, especially with Smash 4 and MK8 coming out this year.

Guevara

Iwata is right: Price cuts, without desirable software, lead to a short bump in sales. The Wii U could be $199 and it wouldn't sell much better.

Anth0ny

The shockingest of news.

I don't see room for another HD twin in the market.

Then make it better than the other two in every way and force Sony or Microsoft out of the market. Nintendo doesn't have to be scared. They have the IPs to compete, they just choose not to.

AkuMifune

Banned
It's funny that we saw this coming YEARS away. When the Wii was such a commercial success that Nintendo focused marketing and software development on the casual market many of us said this would bite them in the ass when they released the next console. They saw too late in the process that they needed the hardcore back and designed some great software for us, but it was too late for the hardware which was designed for mainstream adoption.

If they want to save the Wii U they need to drop the controller and $100 off the price. Or they can write it off and move on the the next console which would need to have parity with the other consoles for 3rd party support. The days of people buying a home Nintendo console ONLY for Nintendo games is done, unless it's significantly cheaper than the other options.

kadotsu

Banned
The WiiU is a symptom of Nintendo's inability to create a gaming infrastructure. They manage to fuck up even the simplest services. The VC not having at least each title that was on the Wii (which means the emulation work was already done) is ridiculous.

Nintendo also has a case of the HD dev problem every company had last gen. Titles get delayed and they find out that HD assets are harder than SD.

All these wouldn't be a problem if they still had the casual audience. But those are gone and won't return so they are stuck with a demanding audience they cannot satisfy.

flkraven

"Nope, everything's fine. Maintain all sales projections"

3 months later

"Stop saying we are doomed. Everything is great. We are confident in maintaining these sales projections"

3 months later

"Nah, we are fine. 8.5 million units in 3 months may sound crazy, but we can still do it. Maintain all sales projections"

3 months later

"Ok, fuck, fine. We fucked up, and I have no clue what to do. Cut my pay in half and buy back shares. I'll get back to you on this Wii U thing"

Recall

When a response is "lower the price" I feel you've missed the point completely. It takes more than a price of a product to make people want it at all. I'm happy with mine but can see it does need more killer apps not a price drop.

prag16

Banned
Came in here expecting most of the initial replies to be snarky driveby comments about Iwata stating the obvious.

Not leaving disappointed.

I'm expecting big N to do a few token things to "change it up" but what they really need to talk about is the Wii U's (currently announced) garbage as fuck 2014 lineup. A couple games can't carry the console all year, especially if after DK we get NOTHING until Kart in say April or May.

Kart needs to be March, Smash needs to be May/June, then we need SEVERAL unannounced games to fill out the lineup along wiith X, Bayonetta, etc.

Kriken

- Stop charging so much for said machine. Wii U deluxe was $350 up until recently, yet the PS4 is infinitely more powerful (and has a bigger hdd) all for $50 more? Lol....

If you're going to compare the prices, at least compare them when they were both on the market ($100). But even then, $100 difference wasn't enough to convince the average consumer the Wii U's value over the PS4's.

Mononoke

Banned
Iwata it's easy:

- Stop building cheap/underpowered consoles. Make a competitive console.
- Stop charging so much for said machine. Wii U deluxe was $350 up until recently, yet the PS4 is infinitely more powerful (and has a bigger hdd) all for $50 more? Lol....

Honestly at this point, I really start to question if this is the solution. I said this in another thread, but consider this.

Let's say Nintendo comes out with a console that is superior to PS4 (and to do this, it cost them $399). The superior specs, and it being the easiest console to develop for, WOULD make some devs take notice. But it wouldn't make them jump over, because the demographics isn't there. I truly believe that if a superior version of a third party AAA title was on a Nintendo console, it would still sell far less than it would on X1 + PS4.

The trick would be, to finally bring over those consumers that buy AAA third party titles throughout the year (the blockbusters etc.). But because there isn't AAA third party titles to begin with on it (because again, keep in mind this console just launched, and Nintendo has shown a huge demographic issue in the past), then why would these consumers buy a Nintendo console, when the majority of the games they buy in a given year is on X1 and PS4 (which they already own, or will choose over this new super Nintendo console, because there are already those AAA third party titles on those systems).

To me, it's a cyclical cycle. Consumers won't buy it because it doesn't have the titles they want. And those devs wont make games for it because, it doesn't have the consumer base to buy it. It's like the Vita's situation right now (no games, so people won't buy it. Game's aren't being made, because not enough people own the Vita). Note: the Vita does have games, but you get my overall point.

I love Nintendo, and hope I'm wrong. But I'm starting to really believe that this is just an issue, of an overall market no longer wanting their hardware products. I still view the Wii as a fluke. And strongly believe that the Wii U is just a continued downward trajectory from N64 to Gamecube. As much as I hate saying this, I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo's only hope, is finding a new way to revolutionize and change how we play games. I hate saying that, because often this is gimmicky. But seriously, unless they come up with something that seems fresh and gets average consumers flocking to try it, I wonder if just releasing another console with high specs will do anything at all.

I believe Iwata is starting to recognize the futility of supporting the Wii U whole-heartedly. It's just a bad product.

Yeah, I take this to mean they are shifting most of their focus to their next handheld and console, which would fall in line with the fact that they are ramping up R&D.

Well, it worked for the 3DS. I could see a $200 Wii U moving some units, especially if they refocus on younger audiences. Of course, there's no telling whether most kids these days are even interested in playing games on a TV in the first place. They may just be boned, because they're never getting the older audience with this thing.

3DS position in the market is very different of Wii U right now. Basically 3DS absorded a good amount of the PSP market. Wii U is not going to do that with the PS4 and Xbox One market, that ship sailed when both new consoles destroyed Wii U yearly sales in two months. Basically Wii U is in no one land, a product that fails to appeal a large percent of the market.

I don't think it has to be an HD twin. But the Wii U's design cut a lot of corners for cost, like the memory, the storage, the touch screen, etc. I'd call it cheap in that regard, even if all their current customized hardware means they're still taking a loss on the console.

JoeM86

Price cut won't help? What the fuck was a minute pay cut supposed to do?

How is 50% minute? Also, why on earth did you think that was part of their plan? It's a gesture to prove that they are resolute to change things.

Ridley327

And here Nintendo continues on the road to ruin. Iwata is clearly devoted to going down with the sinking ship, God bless him.

He's not wrong, though. Cutting the price of the Wii U led to a minor, temporary boost. The entire strategy of the Wii U is what's sinking it, not just one specific element.

I think Nintendo needs to take some of that Wii/DS pile of money and moneyhat the hell out of some Western devs. Their biggest problem is the lack of software. Get the software, and get stuff that the majority of people really want to play, and you've made a big step toward helping repair both your image and your relationships with third parties

Bedlam

A console on the same performance level as the PS4/Xbone, meaning with all the 3rd party publishers on board, but with Nintendo's first-party games on top would definitely be my console of choice.

Right now, the console is a typical "second console" for me. And as such, it's way too expensive.

Mr. Obvious strikes back once again.

Remember, it's Iwata, so nothing will change.

I don't know about that. Yes we're talking about Iwata, but his current strategy has completely run its course with nothing to show for it.

He's forced to look at reform to bring the company back into profitability.

rokero

I have a feeling this year will be the best year for Nintendo software for the WiiU with the following two years full of HD remakes of 3DS and older games while they switch resources to they're next console Zelda likely being the last big game for the console

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3DS position in the market is very different of Wii U right now. Basically 3DS absorded a good amount of the PSP market. Wii U is not going to do that with the PS4 and Xbox One market, that ship sailed when both new consoles destroyed Wii U yearly sales in two months.

Oh for sure, the only thing a low-priced Wii U would do would be to take away from PS3/360 sales. That could still be a few million units over the next couple of years.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Much more than the handheld space/mobile, I am extremely curious to see what their plan is for the home business.

I'd love them to drive into VR, on a cross PC/console basis, though it could be a big gamble.

When a response is "lower the price" I feel you've missed the point completely. It takes more than a price of a product to make people want it at all. I'm happy with mine but can see it does need more killer apps not a price drop.

That's exactly what Iwata is stating here. He's admitting that cutting the price on the Wii U isn't going to suddenly make the system cross a magical demand threshold. It'll spark a month or two of increased sales from people on message boards and maybe the "normal" of the Wii U's sales will be a bit higher than it was before, but it's not going to suddenly turn the Wii U into something people want.

cafemomo

I think Nintendo needs to take some of that Wii/DS pile of money and moneyhat the hell out of some Western devs. Their biggest problem is the lack of software. Get the software, and get stuff that the majority of people really want to play, and you've made a big step toward helping repair both your image and your relationships with third parties

Western 3rd parties will always be dead to Nintendo. They should just focus on building up their western studios. expand Retro, buy NLG and monster. Have NERD make games

Imo, they should be doing that plus repairing relationships with JP 3rd parties.

Liamario

Banned
Price cut would help, but let's be realistic; the console isn't likely to recover.
It was released too late, at too high a price, with too little games and too little power.

Too

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I believe Iwata is starting to recognize the futility of supporting the Wii U whole-heartedly. It's just a bad product.

Eh, yeah. It seems he now comprehends how not even a deep price cut could change the things so much. Not only that, they can NOT actually do that, due to economies of scale being horrible on Wii U.

2014 is probably going to be the year where Nintendo gives the biggest push, and then they will sensibly decrease their support (with much less relevant titles) already in 2015.

keep-calm-and-hit-the-gym-14.png

WiiU you must do it

prag16

Banned
I really like my Wii U in spite of the obvious flaws. I'm nervous as to what this may mean for future support from Nintendo themselves.

This.

I like the console a lot even while recognizing it's many problems (most of which aren't a big deal to me personally). I'll be slightly sad if 2014 and on is like Wii's 2011/2012..

Nilaul

"We sick and tired of shareholders thinking they have any power, so we will buy back some shares to make sure they know that"

JoeM86

Shouldn't they invest money into R&D and more software development rather than a share buyback?

They just shifted a further 13 billion yen into R&D...however, you can't just throw money at problems. That's not how things work.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's exactly what Iwata is stating here. He's admitting that cutting the price on the Wii U isn't going to suddenly make the system cross a magical demand threshold. It'll spark a month or two of increased sales from people on message boards and maybe the "normal" of the Wii U's sales will be a bit higher than it was before, but it's not going to suddenly turn the Wii U into something people want.

And I actually agree with him on that point. I think a price cut only makes sense when there's a glut of games about to be released.

Honestly at this point, I really start to question if this is the solution. I said this in another thread, but consider this.

Let's say Nintendo comes out with a console that is superior to PS4 (and to do this, it cost them $399). The superior specs, and it being the easiest console to develop for, WOULD make some devs take notice. But it wouldn't make them jump over, because the demographics isn't there. I truly believe that if a superior version of a third party AAA title was on a Nintendo console, it would still sell far less than it would on X1 + PS4.

The trick would be, to finally bring over those consumers that buy AAA third party titles throughout the year (the blockbusters etc.). But because there isn't AAA third party titles to begin with on it (because again, keep in mind this console just launched, and Nintendo has shown a huge demographic issue in the past), then why would these consumers buy a Nintendo console, when the majority of the games they buy in a given year is on X1 and PS4 (which they already own, or will choose over this new super Nintendo console, because there are already those AAA third party titles on those systems).

To me, it's a cyclical cycle. Consumers won't buy it because it doesn't have the titles they want. And those devs wont make games for it because, it doesn't have the consumer base to buy it. It's like the Vita's situation right now (no games, so people won't buy it. Game's aren't being made, because not enough people own the Vita). Note: the Vita does have games, but you get my overall point.
Your right, its not as easy as some posters make it sound. If you understand this what Nintendo will do next is the most exciting part. We have no clue.. Unless they do go ahead and make this easy to develop stronger than ps4 type console they will fail again and I will be completely dumbfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom