• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

Aerocrane

So I got Dragon Quest 8 to work but great scott, the amount of ghosting is asburd. Framerate's good, but that's just insane. Is that "normal" for PS2 emulation or have I used a setting the wrong way?

Try turning on the half-pixel offset hack from the settings of your graphics plugin. It's only available in hardware mode. It removed the ghosting in Yakuza 2 for me.

SparkTR

Has anybody tried Destroy All Humans 2 on this version. Those late generation high-end PS2 games tend to function well on this emulator.

zbarron

So I got Dragon Quest 8 to work but great scott, the amount of ghosting is asburd. Framerate's good, but that's just insane. Is that "normal" for PS2 emulation or have I used a setting the wrong way?

My questions is similar. Fraps says 60fps but it sure as hell doesn't look like it. Is it reporting accurately? Does anyone know what DQ8 natively runs at?

My questions is similar. Fraps says 60fps but it sure as hell doesn't look like it. Is it reporting accurately? Does anyone know what DQ8 natively runs at?

Fraps will give you the same FPS listing as PCSX2... but that doesn't mean that those games are truly 60. That only gives you information on whether a game is reaching it's native refresh rate (which is always 60 for NTSC, 50 for PAL).

The internal FPS is what's important, and the majority of PS2 games are 25/30 depending on the region.

Unlike PS360 games, nearly all PS2 games are v-synced and game logic tied to frame rate... A few exceptions include Shadow of the Colossus and maybe Ico?

curb

Banned
Here you go, enjoy the additional 30 Rock picture

9bQIkOe.jpg

I think I enjoy 30 Rock far more than I enjoy tinkering with emulator settings.

Grief.exe

Fraps will give you the same FPS listing as PCSX2... but that doesn't mean that those games are truly 60. That only gives you information on whether a game is reaching it's native refresh rate (which is always 60 for NTSC, 50 for PAL).

The internal FPS is what's important, and the majority of PS2 games are 25/30 depending on the region.

Unlike PS360 games, nearly all PS2 games are v-synced and game logic tied to frame rate... A few exceptions include Shadow of the Colossus and maybe Ico?

That is really interesting.

So what kind of CPU requirements does PCSX2 have? My laptop has an i-7 3630M 2.4Ghz, would that be sufficent?

With the MTVU hack enabled quite a few games should work and full speed, but if it doesn't contain a discrete GPU you're looking at mostly native resolution. That said, there are going to be a LOT of games that just won't run full speed... the general recommendation is for a CPU clocked at 3ghz+ and have at least 3 cores with DDR5 GPU with a 128-bit bus or higher.

Laptops generally aren't recommended at all though since laptops throttle down hardcore when they get hot, and PCSX2 will push your laptop to that point (no ifs, ands, or butts). Having a cooling pad is definitely recommended.

MoxManiac

With the MTVU hack enabled quite a few games should work and full speed, but if it doesn't contain a discrete GPU you're looking at mostly native resolution. That said, there are going to be a LOT of games that just won't run full speed... the general recommendation is for a CPU clocked at 3ghz+ and have at least 3 cores with DDR5 GPU with a 128-bit bus or higher.

Laptops generally aren't recommended at all though since laptops throttle down hardcore when they get hot, and PCSX2 will push your laptop to that point (no ifs, ands, or butts). Having a cooling pad is definitely recommended.

It has a 670MX for the GPU. I'm going to download and experiment with it. I know I couldn't get acceptable speeds in dolphin so i'm not expecting much, but i'll try it. Thanks.

It has a 670MX for the GPU. I'm going to download and experiment with it. I know I couldn't get acceptable speeds in dolphin so i'm not expecting much, but i'll try it. Thanks.

You should be able to get quite a few games going full speed then, I'd just be worried again about heat possibly inducing throttling over extended gameplay sessions.

For comparison, my 2 year old i5 2.6ghz (2.9ghz) with 540M can get games like Persona 4 running full speed, but struggles on a lot of others (.hack//GU series, FFXII, etc)

Radeon 7850 and Phenom II X6 1055t, I should be fine right?

The 7850 is good (3-4x native res in nearly every game) the 1055t should be good as well in most games, but may need some OC love if you haven't already. My FX6300 OC'ed to 4.2ghz handles nearly all games at full speed aside from the occasional outlier. Even at it's default 3.5ghz only a few games really need that extra juice.

Unfortunately it being a hex core doesn't really give it any advantage over a tri or quad core.

meanspartan

The 7850 is good (3-4x native res in nearly every game) the 1055t should be good as well in most games, but may need some OC love if you haven't already. My FX6300 OC'ed to 4.2ghz handles nearly all games at full speed aside from the occasional outlier. Even at it's default 3.5ghz only a few games really need that extra juice.

Unfortunately it being a hex core doesn't really give it any advantage over a tri or quad core.

Ya stock 1055t comes at 2.8ghz, but I gave mine a modest overclock up to 3.5ghz a while back to comfortably squeeze a little more out of it. If I need to pump it up to 4ghz I probably can fairly easily, I just haven't needed to for regular PC gaming.

For all the recommendations to go Intel I got when I built this rig in 2010 (I later upgraded the 5770 I originally used to the current 7850), I have never once regretted going with the more budget Phenom chip. I don't think it has ever been a bottleneck for gaming. But on a single-threaded emulator, miiiiight be an issue.

BigDes

How is Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on this?

I just got it today

I am assuming that because it is 2d the resolution upgrades don't do much?

ILoveBish

I tried out my fav ps2 game, Disney golf and it runs pretty good. Some graphical issues but playable for the most part.

News Bot

Banned
Any better deinterlacing solutions for this? Blend can be horrendous and everything else is either shake-heaven or swaps fields.

daninthemix

Any better deinterlacing solutions for this? Blend can be horrendous and everything else is either shake-heaven or swaps fields.

Yeah, I still have yet to understand why this is apparently the only emulator in the world that doesn't just output progressive on everything.

meanspartan

Probably a dumb question, but is there a dreamcast/xbox/gamecube/ps1 equivalent of this (use your old game discs and upscale them with the emulator)?

For that matter, do Ps1 discs work with PCSX2 since the Ps2 itself was backwards compatible?

monlo

Probably a dumb question, but is there a dreamcast/xbox/gamecube/ps1 equivalent of this (use your old game discs and upscale them with the emulator)?

For that matter, do Ps1 discs work with PCSX2 since the Ps2 itself was backwards compatible?

every old console has their own emulator

BPoole

Welcome to emulating games.

Emulators I've used for SNES/N64/Wii games have given me no problems aside from the initial learning curve of getting them configured and organized. I guess it becomes more difficult as consoles become more complex. I don't ever expect to see an emulator for the PS3 considering how difficult it was for devs to learn the cell architecture

Oemenia

Banned

PSone

ePSXe - High compatibility and loads of support. Has been in active development in recent years.
PCSX-R - A new emulator, its not as compatible and theres little support out there but has a widescreen hack which is a God-send for PSone enthusiasts.

Gamecube

Dolphin - Like PCSX2 its very demanding and compatibility while high can still have issues here and there. Widescreen is super easy to implement. Also like PCSX2, its going to require some fiddling for each game (most are fine though).

Dreamcast

nullDC - The best emulator currently, it plays majority of games but the emulator is a bit lacking (no savestates or filtering despite the relative simplicity of the DC hardware.

XBOX

lol!

Gvaz

Banned
I dont remember it happening on my actual discs in my PS2 but I would have been pissed if it had.

In rereading, I thought a dev said it was an actual bug, but it seems it's just bug with the game in pcsx2.

AFAIK it's just Xenosaga 1 in two spots, the second save point, and the elsa EVS save. In my playthrough I just avoided it entirely (there's a save point in the quarters, EVS works just fine though.)

Any way to keep Castlevania: Curse of Darkness at a consistent 60 FPS? It hits 45 and lags whenever mooks are on-screen (could just be my PC though)

Zafir

Any way to keep Castlevania: Curse of Darkness at a consistent 60 FPS? It hits 45 and lags whenever mooks are on-screen (could just be my PC though)
Not tried the game, but did you try the speedhacks? Some of them may cause other issues, but you'd have to test them out to see whether they help and what the side effects are. MTVU is good if you have a tri/quad core or something, makes use of 3 cores instead of just the 2.

Does Drakengard still require quantum computing to run properly? :(

(Might have to try Xenosaga tho..last time I tried it...it was...weird..to be honest.)

No, PCSX2 is strictly a PS2 emulator. While the PS2 is backwards compatible, it's partly because it has unique components (IE PS1 hardware) in the PS2 itself. While the PS2 makes SOME use of the PS1 hardware, there are unique parts that just aren't emulated.

On top of that, the devs aren't exactly sure HOW the PS2 switches into PS1 mode and aren't too eager to dig through the bios/the memory of a running PS2 to figure it out when there are dedicated PS1 emus that would run it better anyways. And merging a working PS1 emu into PCSX2 that'll "flip" like a switch just to say "it plays PS1 games just like a PS2" would be both incorrect and silly.

THAT said, GSDX (the primary graphics plugin for PCSX2) is 100% compatible with PS1 emus that use the PSPro plugin spec (IE almost all of them), and it DOES work for rendering PS1 graphics. So if they ever get to that point, the graphics plugin at least will be ready to go :)

clashfan

I was using 1.0 and upgraded to 1.2.1 but for some reason 1.2.1 doesn't see my save states. Any have this problem and how to fix this?

Gvaz

Banned
I was using 1.0 and upgraded to 1.2.1 but for some reason 1.2.1 doesn't see my save states. Any have this problem and how to fix this?

You have to manual save. Save states generally aren't compatible over major version upgrades.

Ryne

I have a working PS2, but I should really get to tackling some of the backlog I have with the system. Need to start with .hack!

Hopefully this emulator isn't too complicated.

Teletraan1

Banned
In rereading, I thought a dev said it was an actual bug, but it seems it's just bug with the game in pcsx2.

AFAIK it's just Xenosaga 1 in two spots, the second save point, and the elsa EVS save. In my playthrough I just avoided it entirely (there's a save point in the quarters, EVS works just fine though.)

Yes those are the exact spots I have encountered the error. I proactively did a save state before attempting to save every time not knowing this and not wanting to get surprised. However if you require speed hacks to get the game running up to speed on your system those can be unreliable and cause the program itself to hang so its probably best to just avoid those 2 save locations as you said.

Just jumped in to Grandia III with everything as default, only upped the Native resolution to 4x and everything is fine from the get go...

FMV's are terrible though...

Grandia III looks great. There isn't much the emu can do for FMVs. They are often really jarring when they are pre-rendered using the in game models but everything is so low resolution compared to how you can make the game look now. Xenosaga III suffers the same fate. Game looks super crisp at 4-5x resolution and then a cutscene is native res.

Top Bottom